Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best of the GT40 Kits?

Randy D

Hmmmm....I think what threw us off is that the MPC kit was molded in red as well...I have one here and I'm looking at it now. Many things on the red MPC kit don't match your red model.

For one, the MPC body doesn't come apart as your red one does; the nose on the MPC car is not separate, and the underbody looks nothing like that.

Your WHITE car has the MPC / AMT underbody, but that one didn't come with opening doors...though the hinges for the rear body section cutouts in the roof are the same as the MPC kit, so apparently somebody opened the doors.

You're correct about the red one being the IMC / Testors kit. Everything matches.

Isn't the white one a J-Car because it doesn't look like a Mk IV.

I'm always amazed that two "scale models" of the same subject can be so very different.

You'd think measuring units hadn't yet been standardized from the looks of things sometimes.

Seriously, the red model has a taller ducktail spoiler that extends down the sides of the rear fenders. The lower curvature of the rear fenders is also different, as is the size of the rear window.

Otherwise, the contours of both rear ends are quite similar.

I don't know anything about various versions of the Mk IV, or how it may have been modified during its racing days, but those two factors could account for the obvious differences in the photos.

I'm always amazed that two "scale models" of the same subject can be so very different.

You'd think measuring units hadn't yet been standardized from the looks of things sometimes.

Seriously, the red model has a taller ducktail spoiler that extends down the sides of the rear fenders. The lower curvature of the rear fenders is also different, as is the size of the rear window.

Otherwise, the contours of both rear ends are quite similar.

I don't know anything about various versions of the Mk IV, or how it may have been modified during its racing days, but those two factors could account for the obvious differences in the photos.

The real Mk IVs had had a very limited run. And raced for a very short time. I don't think there was as much difference in Mk IVs as in the other GT40s. I also wonder if the two model companies ever really got up close enough to a Mk IV at the time to take true measurements off of a real car? Or do they base the tooling on pictures and specifications they got from different sources?

As far as I know they only raced the Mk IV at only two races in 1967, Le Mans and Sebring, and only 6 cars were built, 1968 and 69 they went back to the Mk I as the rules were changed to maximum 5 litre engines and Ford themselves got out as a factory team.

• 3 years later...

It's been a year since anyone posted on this thread.  Did anyone build the kits mentioned.  I did finish a Testors MKIV a few years ago.  The 1/43 diecast is made by IXO.  I should have paid close attention to where the side marker lights were.  They need to be repositioned so they do not interfere with the gum balls.

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5004.PNG

Edited by vamach1

I apologize about the issues with the photos in my early post not matching the description.  Not sure why they get scrambled with other photos in my Fotki account.  And now since we cannot edit posts, I can't go back and correct them

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2014 at 2:19 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Here is mine, built in the mid 80's - I still can remember several issues: most of all ill-fitting body panels (it would be better not to close the rear deck, the front hood does not fit, either), the red paint shines through the white number circles and stripes and the tires have not stood the test of time - they tear apart radially from the inside.

Impossible to take pictures and hide those issues - have a look yourself!

All in all, it looks similar to the real thing but I certainly would not recommend it unless you want it because of some significance in model kit history.

Here is mine, built in the mid 80's - I still can remember several issues: most of all ill-fitting body panels (it would be better not to close the rear deck, the front hood does not fit, either), the red paint shines through the white number circles and stripes and the tires have not stood the test of time - they tear apart radially from the inside.

Impossible to take pictures and hide those issues - have a look!

All in all, it looks similar to the real thing but I certainly would not recommend it unless you want it because of some significance in model kit history.

post-11195-0-65035000-1395955050_thumb.j

post-11195-0-77958700-1395955085_thumb.j

post-11195-0-88877600-1395955105_thumb.j

Thank you for the great pics and I have the union kit and the mpc kit. They both look like they need a bunch of work. Yours looks great! 

On 12/11/2012 at 9:05 AM, Randy D said:

Hi Folks, Would like to build a Ford GT40 in 1/24th. Seems to a wide selection on ebay. Any recomendations? Do the different brands all have engines or are some curbside?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Randy

Hi Randy...no suggestion one way or another but a question, what ever happen to your GT-40...

Edited by BDSchindler

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had a lot of fun going back through this thread from the beginning. A lot of good stuff here. I think just about everything that could be said about Ford GT and GT40 kits in 1/24 and 1/25 scale, was said. As noted by some of my later postings here, it had a great influence over adding the Ford GTs I chose to add to my collection. 

And I'm pretty pleased with that collection. There are really only two more kits I'd like to add to it. One is the nearly impossible to find AMT 1/43 scale kit. And the other? The still never done as a kit, GT40 Mk III. I'm probably the only person out there that like that car. So, I still have no ecxpectations ever seeing a kit or build up of that one.  

31 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I just had a lot of fun going back through this thread from the beginning. A lot of good stuff here. I think just about everything that could be said about Ford GT and GT40 kits in 1/24 and 1/25 scale, was said. As noted by some of my later postings here, it had a great influence over adding the Ford GTs I chose to add to my collection. 

And I'm pretty pleased with that collection. There are really only two more kits I'd like to add to it. One is the nearly impossible to find AMT 1/43 scale kit. And the other? The still never done as a kit, GT40 Mk III. I'm probably the only person out there that like that car. So, I still have no ecxpectations ever seeing a kit or build up of that one.  

I did find the 1/43 AMT kit on Ebay.  I have also seen a mislabeled EBAY listing that shows a Record 1/43 GT40 box but the 
"kit" is actually the AMT one but he is asking to much $$ in my opinion.