Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best of the GT40 Kits?

Randy D

I just found pictures of my old build of the IMC Ford GT modeled after the 1964 Le Mans entry.  A lot of mention in this thread of the poor body fit and that is what eventually led me years ago to take mine off the shelf and put it back in the stash.  But the recent talk of the IMC and the Aurora early kits GT plus Randy's 1/25th outside spoke wire wheels has me thinking of seeing if I can do something with it, maybe pinning the panels would be a start to save this as a survivor.

1949747068_Ford_GT40_1964_11_003.jpg.add5ca294d906590f5013df26ff91258.jpg47979866_Ford_GT40_1964_11_002.jpg.c62fcba619a1887edc39cd9d1f11cd75.jpg

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I just found pictures of my old build of the IMC Ford GT modeled after the 1964 Le Mans entry.  A lot of mention in this thread of the poor body fit and that is what eventually led me years ago to take mine off the shelf and put it back in the stash.  But the recent talk of the IMC and the Aurora early kits GT plus Randy's 1/25th outside spoke wire wheels has me thinking of seeing if I can do something with it, maybe pinning the panels would be a start to save this as a survivor.

1949747068_Ford_GT40_1964_11_003.jpg.add5ca294d906590f5013df26ff91258.jpg47979866_Ford_GT40_1964_11_002.jpg.c62fcba619a1887edc39cd9d1f11cd75.jpg

Given that the resin kits cost 3-4 times more and do not have an engine, the IMC/Testors kits for all their faults are not horrible like say a Palmer kit.  I am proud that I finished building all of the old IMC, MPC and the one Aurora GT40s, MKII and MarkIV's as should anyone else that can look past that the kits are far from perfect but so few are and if they are they are usually expensive.IMG_7031.JPG.562c87308afba777dc0e696b6270b84d.JPGIMG_7030.JPG.11aa90b6e4c650d36813c71d332166df.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

Edited by vamach1

28 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

That's unusual, we have the same backgrounds. ?

Yes -where have I seen that before.?. Your backgrounds are perfect for pictures and a whole lot cooler than my dining room table.

13 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very nice!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new here.
 I have kind of trolled this thread for years. I'm in the process of building all the Le Mann's wining Ford GT's including the Mark IV "not really a Ford GT" as it shared nothing with the Ford GT 40's except heritage.
For the Mk1 and MKII cars I will be building the Le Mann's Minatuers Gold kits, I have one now and have ordered two more. One of the LM kits will have to be heavily modified with bigger brakes, different body etc to make it correct. The body will come from the Fujimi Ford GT40 MARK II 12101 kit, will need two as all doors,hood and engine compartments will be cut out. For the MK IV car I have settled on the Renaissance Models full kit and extra body which is nice not having to buy two kits, spot models has the body kit in stock and will be getting more full kits in Aug. The Mk IV car will get all doors,hood and engine compartments opened up as well, the inner chassis will have many many parts CAD'ed out and printed on my SLA printer to bring it up to full detail like the LM Gold kits. For the 2016 car I have two Revelle German kits to do the same full up detail as all the other cars. For each kit I have collected every detail kit I can get my hands on,photo etched, cast you name it plus four engines from scale production, at a crazy nose bleed price for all 4, 2 ea 5.0's and 2 ea 427's . I have been collecting all the parts and kits for some time and i'm embarrassed to say how much I have invested,but the journey should be fun and long.

https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p2444_1966-f-gt40-mk2-engine-kit.html
https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2336_1969-f-gt-40-engine-kit.html

20 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Welcome aboard Lee.  The Ford GTs in all their forms are a favorite subject so we will be watching your projects closely.

Sounds like you, Lee and I have been on the same path for a while stocking up on every Ford GT kit on the market.

Edited by vamach1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, vamach1 said:

Given that the resin kits cost 3-4 times more and do not have an engine, the IMC/Testors kits for all their faults are not horrible like say a Palmer kit.  I am proud that I finished building all of the old IMC, MPC and the one Aurora GT40s, MKII and MarkIV's as should anyone else that can look past that the kits are far from perfect but so few are and if they are they are usually expensive.IMG_7031.JPG.562c87308afba777dc0e696b6270b84d.JPGIMG_7030.JPG.11aa90b6e4c650d36813c71d332166df.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

Geez guys, even with "Ill fitting" panels and brittle colored plastic, you all still build em up to be nice looking replicas.  Given some of these kits date back almost 60 years, it's nice to have some 1/25 scale stuff to park next to our other 1/25 stuff.  Hard to beat the Fujimi's for ease of build, but those old Aurora, IMC, MPC have a lot of character. And they are gonna give me fits in my retirement, as soon as I can decide on which on I wan't to start first.

Thanks for posting all these cool models and info..

2 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

Geez guys, even with "Ill fitting" panels and brittle colored plastic, you all still build em up to be nice looking replicas.  Given some of these kits date back almost 60 years, it's nice to have some 1/25 scale stuff to park next to our other 1/25 stuff.  Hard to beat the Fujimi's for ease of build, but those old Aurora, IMC, MPC have a lot of character. And they are gonna give me fits in my retirement, as soon as I can decide on which on I wan't to start first.

Thanks for posting all these cool models and info..

Thanks Ralph.  The Renaissance and Fujumi bodies are more accurate but there is something about opening the back and seeing a big block engine and those bundle of snake exhaust headers in the Old IMC or MPC kits Or a nice trans kit.

EA7CCDDE-2A91-42E6-A9FF-CBDDEE7551B3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Welcome aboard Ralph, you have found a good home for Ford GTs.  Please share with us your work in progress and completed builds.  And do not hesitate to ask for reference photos, we have hundreds of photos on file.

301055122_FordGT_collection009.jpg.dd29cad8e72c97cac613053cab8c5fed.jpg

ah, come on Gary, now where'd you get the Mustang 1??

And Thanks, My favorite Big 3 is the Cobra, Ford GT, and the early Mustangs.

I'm sure I'll have some questions..

26 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

The Mustang 1 is a 1/24 diecast by Automodello.  Not sure if it is still available.  Originally it went for big bucks then was put on sale at diecast.org.  I just had to have it. ?

1350208784_MustangI_Automodelli_1177.JPG.d5fb56f604b497b06bf564ae315bd168.JPG

nice, I have the li'l Hot Wheels one, it's well done. I might have to track one down, I see they did the Mustang II show car also... geez..

Can't believe no one has done a resin...

• 2 weeks later...

These may not be the best kits but it’s possible to make a presentable kit with some better decals and taking into account they originate from molds that are at least fifty years old.

Despite the box art on AMT kit it’s basically the same  kit as the IMC MKII and would need modifications to represent the 66 Daytona race version.

95821EC5-663D-4E73-A6C4-BF97AD64F910.jpeg

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Moving away from 1/24 th scale to 1/12 th, have a look at the multi medium kit that CMA  (Creative Model Associates) are about to release. It may be the ultimate GT40 kit..............at a price!

Do you know something we don’t?  The website has not been updated in three years.  I’ll believe when I see it and about the same time those VRM big block Cobra decals might be available too. 😉

5D8B3795-C296-41A3-8F53-88740A2FC6E5.jpeg

I looked at this master at the  NNL East in the 90’s. Marshall Buck was looking for someone to cast it. At the time the configuration of the rear of the tub was basically uncastable. It’s hard to remember the details after all of these  years, but the rear seems to have been redone.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for this, Marshall doesn’t have the best reputation or track record getting kits out or even finding people to produce them. The list of people who have tried to work with him and got burned reads like a who’s who of the model car aftermarket.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:14 PM, howery53 said:

For those that don't know, Meng is about to release a newly tooled 1/24 GT40 Mk II.(August release I believe).

Internet Hobbies shows it pre-order at $80. 😲 OTOH, its full detail and not a semi-curbside.  Revell is supposed to release the Fujimi 68/69 GT40 in the mid $50 price range.  Ebay prices are wildly varied-one seller pushing a run-of-the-mill version for $500!  I'm glad I've got a number in the stash already

Edited by The Junkman

28 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Internet Hobbies shows it pre-order at $80. 😲 OTOH, its full detail and not a semi-curbside.  Revell is supposed to release the Fujimi 68/69 GT40 in the mid $50 price range.  Ebay prices are wildly varied-one seller pushing a run-of-the-mill version for $500!  I'm glad I've got a number in the stash already

I ordered two of the MENG 1/24 MKII kits and they were shipped from China last week.  It was about $110 for the pair shipped.