Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best of the GT40 Kits?

Randy D

They all have pluses and minuses. The old IMC (Testor and Union variants as well) are not bad, but require a good bit of fitment as everything opens. They are 1/25 scale. The LeMans Miniatures is 1/24 and also everything opens. It requires lots of fitment, and is resin. That kit is lower right in attached picture.

Less finicky are the Fujimi kits, even with the HRM transkit.

And yes, there also is a HRM Daytona Coupe and Cheetah there as well.

post-628-0-25127900-1420558507_thumb.jpg

Any idea on how many "street" legal GT-40s of all types were sold in the US back in the day? And how expensive were they? And was quality as bad on the street Mk Is as I've read they were with the Mk IIIs? I assume the race cars were indivually prepared and did not have the quality control issues of Mk IIIs. It's interesting to read Car and Driver's review of the Mk III written back in 1967. They were not impressed. The build quality was not good at all. Especially for a car priced at $18,000. The price they claimed of about 7 new Mustangs at the time!

Scott

The Mark I street coupe was about $15,000+ in 1966.....when a nice Caddy was $4500! And the Mark I was finished better than the MK III. Car and Driver was very critical of the finish on the MK III. I know Bill Kolb Jr. who was the "Hi Po" sales guy at the Ford store in NYC who handled the car for for Ford and provided it to C&D for review. Ford had at one point decided to put the GT40 into some version of real "production" and gave FAV a budget to do so. Only days later they pulled the plug on that program and the GTs that were sold for "civilian" use became redundant to the goals of FoMoCo.

Got my Revell GT-40 Mk II kit in the mail yesterday. On opening it up, it is obvious that it's the Fujimi kit. Molded in white. Very nice kit. Looks like it will be easy and fun to build.

Scott

They're a dream to build. But if I remember correctly the body is a very tight fit over the chassis.

photo-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

That is an IMC MK II. It was also released by Testors in their "Those Famous Fords" series. It is basically the same car are the black one (#2) posted above.

It looks like the Black #2 is the Fujumi kit. The pic I posted of nine GT40's clearly shows the size difference between the Fujumi and IMC/Testors kits.

Has anyone out there built the IMC or MPC J-car? I have both kits that are in the primer phase.

May have already been mentioned but I saw this in a book store yesterday. Lots of great photos and detail. I have the book on the Red Bull F1 which helped building the model.

GT40MANUAL-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

How much info on the Mark IIIs in the above book? And looking at the different GT-40s posted here, especially the Mark IIs, it looks like I did the right thing in buying the Revell/Fujimi kit.

Scott

That is an IMC MK II. It was also released by Testors in their "Those Famous Fords" series. It is basically the same car are the black one (#2) posted above.

Define, basically. ?

I've built one of the Fugimi kits a few years back,, and this car is nothing like it detail wise . This one seems to have much more intricate suspenion stuff as well as opening doors , wire wheels , etc

Edited by gtx6970

Yes - the IMC/Testors/Union kits were more detailed (engine, opening doors and panels) BUT from an accuracy standpoint they miss the Mark (pun intended) compared to the Fujumi kits. If you modify a Fujumi kit you will have a much more historically accurate model if you care about those things. If you want something close that despite being an almost 50 year old kit that is pretty nice flaws and all, then go that route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMC-FORD-GT-MARK-II-W-LEMANS-427-INDY-TYPE-DOHC-OR-OHV-289-ENGINE-INC-1-25TH-/131395486455?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1e97c802f7

post-13094-0-85329700-1421105748_thumb.jpost-13094-0-04307200-1421105741_thumb.jpost-13094-0-42563900-1421105732_thumb.j

Edited by vamach1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got the Haynes Ford GT40 book in the mail yesterday. Got the Haynes Ferarri 250 GTO book a few days before that. Both are great books. Well worth the price. They are not really "Owner Workshop Manuals" per say. They are wonderful detailed histories on the cars. Great references for building models. Lots of great pictures, and explanations on the difference variances of the cars. I'm very impressed with both books.

As I've noted before, I recently added the Revell/Fujimi Ford GT40 Mk II to my collection. As of yesterday I won a Fujimi GT40 Mk I in an eBay auction. And a week or two ago I ordered a Fujimi GTO. The above two books will be of great help in detailing all three models.

Interestingly, the Haynes GT40 does not do very good job on covering the Mk IV variation. In fact I think it does a better job of covering the Mark III, than the Mark IV. I also got the impression, the author, Gordon Bruce, really doesn't consider the Mk IV as a true GT40. And it's hard to argue with him. The Mark IV is not really a true GT40. It's a totally different car in most every way from the other GT40s.

I love my first Revell/Fujimi GT40 kit. I'm looking forward to the other Fujimi GT40 and GTO. I'm still debating on hunting down the old Aurora/Revell Ford GT kit. But would like to see more details of the kit. And closer pictures of the kit built straight from box. Also, another fellow blogger here, has offered to sell me an MPC Mk IV at a very reasonable price. I'm looking forward to that too. More details on that later.

Scott