Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Ford Galaxie Kits

gtx6970

Yes it's an old topic but I think it's about time someone did new tooling kits of both the 1963½ and 1964 Galaxie Fastbacks (in my eyes the nicest looking Galaxies made), the old AMT kits from the 60's of these cars has lots to desire both detailwise and accuracy...and how many Chevrolet kits can you do. <_<
I had hopes with AMT when they did the very good 1960 Galaxie Starliner kit that they would continue with more Galaxies based on that tooling...but no, nothing...and now woth Round 2 it will most likely not happen any day soon. :unsure:

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 10:30 AM, Scuderia said:

That and drop the body on a similar chassis and engine. Will the 60 fit?.

The 60 chassis will fit. With a little Modifying. I know someone who did it, and kind of remember he was telling me that chassis on a 60 is only about a 16th longer. 

• 9 months later...
On 12/11/2012 at 8:42 AM, gtx6970 said:

Is there avail a version of the 1964 Ford Galaxie that the hood is NOT molded in with the body (aka promo style ) ???

I have a couple of the old AMT blue printer kits and the hood is molded shut,,, but I would prefer an open hood version if there is one avail with a reasonable effort .

Just cut out the hood it's easy and you can drop the in the guts from the AMT 63 Ford Galaxie  that's what I did it all fits great.

13 minutes ago, PLASTIC FANTASY said:

Could Round 2 modify the promo style body to have an opening hood and use the hood from the annual / sportsman kit to create full detail kit? Or are the parts not compatible? Plus use the 63 chassis.

It wouldn't be an efficient use of resources, at all.  Aside from modifying the promo tool, you're also talking about running 3 tools worth of kits to get one kit at the end.  You'd then have 3k sets of all of the other kit's parts as tooling is not set up (especially the older stuff) in a way that only allows bits and pieces to be produced, you run the whole shebang.

It would be a lot better to use the 1960 Starliner chassis, drive train and floor as it's full detail and very nice, the 1963 chassis is not as it's a one piece with just the engine separate...but as James say, not efficient and economical.
I still think it's about time for someone to do new kits of both the 1963½ and 1964 Galaxies as the ones available to us now has lots to desire...it will most likely not happen but I can wish can't I. :rolleyes:

There are articles in both Model Car Mag and SA about the 60 chassis under a 63/64 Fastback. Both good stuff. Actually the cassis conversion is pretty simple. you do need to cut the bottom off the 63/64 interior to get the right height. The engine is what you need and in one of the issues the stock car exhaust manifold is there. Depends on how far you want to go with the stock version. It does make for a very nice model. I was just a teenager when the original 64 came out. Must have had a dozen of those kits. first kit I remember with any stock car parts though most were incorrect for an accurate build, but I built 'em and enjoyed the heck out of them. Threw them away long ago along with Mercury's Chevy's, Dodges and Plymouth from 64. Love to have those back.

The article I’m familiar with was in the 2001 issue of “Car Modeler” magazine entitled “Intergalactic Exchange” by William Bozgan. This was for modifying the ‘63 Galaxie, but I’m thinking it would work for the ‘64, too.

The AMT ‘60 Ford Starliner kit (#30044) not only gives you a better engine,  the chassis is much more detailed than the original old promo style. 

Edited by ToyLvr
More info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a replica of my fathers 64 by using the 64 body (and some other parts like the dashboard) on a 60 chassis and interior, maybe not 100% correct interior wise but since the AMT kit is an XL with seats cast into it, I wanted to use the 60 interior with bench seats to get a little closer to the 1:1 car.....

• 3 months later...

AMT641-vi.jpg

Not surprisingly, the AMT '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL convretible kit included the same working headlights feature as the hardtop:

AMT64FordGalaxie500XLCV4-vi.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of one of these early chassis/floorpans with the slot which allows the switch arm to pass through?

Seems I somehow missed this first time around, so glad it popped back up. Curious to see if this project was ever finished.

I did a 64 conversion using a Starliner as donor for the chassis/ motor. I took the 64 "tub" interior and cut it up to be more realistic separate pieces.

SAM 0062

SAM 0070

Here is a link to Fotki showing in process pics as well.

https://public.fotki.com/machman/models/builds-2014/64-ford-galaxy/

15 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT641-vi.jpg

Not surprisingly, the AMT '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL convretible kit included the same working headlights feature as the hardtop:

AMT64FordGalaxie500XLCV4-vi.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of one of these early chassis/floorpans with the slot which allows the switch arm to pass through?

Sorry, I don't currently have one, but IIRC the lever was curved slightly to clear the inside of the quarter panel and protruded between the muffler and the quarter panel. I don't remember a slot or indentation, there was enough room between the body and chassis to allow the lever to clear.

30 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Sorry, I don't currently have one, but IIRC the lever was curved slightly to clear the inside of the quarter panel and protruded between the muffler and the quarter panel. I don't remember a slot or indentation, there was enough room between the body and chassis to allow the lever to clear.

I have a built conv , there is about 1/16 clearance between the chassis and fender . the chassis looks the same as the dirt track kit.