Model Cars Magazine Forum

Waldorf Nomad & Corvette "Corvair" show cars!

At these prices, someone's gotta get ahold of the rights to these masters/molds (if they are useable), or new masters & molds have got to be done!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261137892408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-1954-MOTORAMA-CORVETTE-WALDORF-NOMAD-RESIN-TRANSKIT-/261137397537?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3ccd007721

nomad4a.jpg

I've always wanted one of the Nomads, don't make me scratchbuild one! :lol:

Edited by jeffs396

I think he had a nasty divorce or something and he either had to sell some stuff or it got damaged in the,divorce. Don't know for sure. Just a rumor i heard around the,shows.. i ordered the corvair it was really rough. Ended up selling it on ebay.

I have the Corvair in my stash - picked it up when R&D was still around. From looking at it, I always thought it looked pretty good. Of course, I've not attempted to build it yet....

If I recall correctly, it does seem to have the uphill chrome trim like the AMT 53-55 Corvette, of which I assumed it was based on. But anyway, I figure it's a start for a cool car. Someday... B)

I may be wrong, but I assumed the reason it dropped out of sight was a licensing problem, what with the Die Cast being available & all.

No.

R&D Unique was started by Dave VanDerwal in the early 1980's, concentrating on doing fine-quality white metal aftermarket model car parts of all kinds. His first foray into resin was a series of antique gas pumps that he himself mastered--then in the late 1980's, R&D Unique bought out Mini-Exotics who were located just over the border from Seattle in British Columbia.

In the late 1990's, Dave VanDerwal sold R&D Unique to the man who was doing all the resin and white metal castings, Tony Willing. This sale included not only the business with all equipment, but also all mastering. Tony Willing continued the business until a divorce entered into the equation, at which time he closed it, until the divorce is settled.

That is pretty much where it stands today.

Art

Never got a response from Tony, I'll shoot him another note.

This seller must have seen the current value in these and decided to unload his:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scale-Dreams-1-25-1953-Corvette-Corvair-unbuilt-resin-kit-/200864064235?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=SZiRpCONZWcS1LxtrNLeIzM6FVw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

BIG BUCKS!!! :o

Happens all the time, something sells for big money, then another one shows up usually within days - weeks at the most . RARELY does it bring the dollar wise the 1st one does. Thats why I never bid crazy money for anything anymore.

Just wait, another one will show up soon enough. It just takes patience

Had it happen several times for a Johan 1963 Dodge builder. I've bid and lost several of them in the $100-$150 range, bought mine for WELL under that

Like i said i sold mine i thought they were a little rough for my tastes. I think tony is a member of the puget sound modelers association up here. Might be able to get ahold of him through their website. Here in the pacific northwest.

Like i said i sold mine i thought they were a little rough for my tastes. I think tony is a member of the puget sound modelers association up here. Might be able to get ahold of him through their website. Here in the pacific northwest.

He still is a member. But he really had limited inventory and had to store stuff away at the time of shutting down.

I am still involved . It took me a bit to remember tony. I didn't realize he was the one who bought out mini exotics. Everyone up here is a great bunch of guys and i enjoy everyones friendship. Including the new ones i meet on the forum.