Model Cars Magazine Forum

background detail

m408

Hi all,

Per my previous posts, I'm trying my hand at my first diorama. Gonna keep it simple, a used car lot. But here's the catch.

It will be in an enclosed area, once used for wine storage. 28"x19"x7" trapazoidial base, which will give me plenty of room. However, the space is also 29" high starting 4" from the floor. I plan to put in a false bottom in to raise it about 8" for better viewing. Still lots of overhead space which will look bad. Here is my question. Is there a source available for perspective prints that could be added to the back and side walls depicting other structures, trees, a sky with clouds, etc...?

I'd like my diorama to be the star of a larger scene.

I guess I could get a local artist to paint it for me, but don't know of any or any way to contact one.

Hi.....outlaw035...you are right about the backgrounds of Walthers . m408 can check model train hobby shops in the area they have good variety. I am at Orlando at this moment and got a few more at Colonial Hobby Shop , by the way , its a great hobby shop for diorama building accesories ....Be Happy................Barbo.

Edited by Barbo

milt...here is the link directly to the page for instant buildings http://walthers.com/exec/search?quick=instant+buildings not sure if this it what u are looking for but take a look...also if u want to see them in use look a barbo's diorama on page 2 i think call book diorama...neal

Very nice stuf at good prices, but, HO scale. I'm trying to figure out how to offset them up the back walls to give a "distance" effect. Then they would work great.

I hope I am on the right track with this

I have used calanders for backgrounds in many picture/dios before

Often times there are scenes there that would be perfect for a background

Back in the "old" days, I would make a small fence from popsicle sticks and black sandpaper for the street and have at that time what I thought was a cool background setup

But, now, with my "trained" eye, things are not as what they seem, but the illusion is still there

The calanders are great for backgrounds, but the fences and what is closer to the eye have to be more in scale

I will see if I can find some pics of my first attempts at this back in `87 or so

I hope I am on the right track with this

I have used calanders for backgrounds in many picture/dios before

Often times there are scenes there that would be perfect for a background

Back in the "old" days, I would make a small fence from popsicle sticks and black sandpaper for the street and have at that time what I thought was a cool background setup

But, now, with my "trained" eye, things are not as what they seem, but the illusion is still there

The calanders are great for backgrounds, but the fences and what is closer to the eye have to be more in scale

I will see if I can find some pics of my first attempts at this back in `87 or so

Thanks Gregg, neat idea. I'm also thinking about getting some HO scale backgrounds, taking them to a photo shop and have them enlarged. Any idea what the ratio between HO and G scale is? I know G is real close to 1:24.

Hi....Gregg....the backdrop (background) I used for the TRIBUTE TO 911 Diorama is from a aniversary calender . About having enlarged a backdrop , I go to Office Max it cost less . They do not know about scale, but what I do is , if it is a natural outdoor scenary I use what is known as EYE-METER , I decide what I want to be viewed by the spectator so I can play with scale. Now, if the backdrop has a structure I use a scale point of view ,such as windows , doors or any element that I can measure with a scale . For example , a HO (1/8'') scale backdrop with a typical entrance door of aprox. 7'-0'' (feet) tall, the door is 7/8'' tall. This is the formula:::::: I enlarge twise the HO scale backdrop and I have a 'O' scale (1/4'')backdrop with a door of 7/4'' tall . I enlarge twise the 'O' scale backdrop and I have a G scale (1/24) backdrop with a door of 1-3/4'' tall. I hope this can help .......have fun....Barbo

Edited by Barbo

Hi....Gregg....the backdrop (background) I used for the TRIBUTE TO 911 Diorama is from a aniversary calender . About having enlarged a backdrop , I go to Office Max it cost less . They do not know about scale, but what I do is , if it is a natural outdoor scenary I use what is known as EYE-METER , I decide what I want to be viewed by the spectator so I can play with scale. Now, if the backdrop has a structure I use a scale point of view ,such as windows , doors or any element that I can measure with a scale . For example , a HO (1/8'') scale backdrop with a typical entrance door of aprox. 7'-0'' (feet) tall, the door is 7/8'' tall. This is the formula:::::: I enlarge twise the HO scale backdrop and I have a 'O' scale (1/4'')backdrop with a door of 7/4'' tall . I enlarge twise the 'O' scale backdrop and I have a G scale (1/24) backdrop with a door of 1-3/4'' tall. I hope this can help .......have fun....Barbo

Wouldn't it have to be enlarged once more? Unless my numbers are way wrong, a 7' door scaled to 1:24 would actually be 3.5" Are my calculations messed up?

Hi...m408...you are right....the number 1-3/4'' is wrong it must be 3.5 (3-1/2'') it is not necesary to enlarge once more..thanks for your observation . I will post tomorow photos of the backdrops I purchase today at Colonial Hobby Shop ,Orlando. And the enlargements I did at Office Max...have fun...Barbo

Hi...m408...you are right....the number 1-3/4'' is wrong it must be 3.5 (3-1/2'') it is not necesary to enlarge once more..thanks for your observation . I will post tomorow photos of the backdrops I purchase today at Colonial Hobby Shop ,Orlando. And the enlargements I did at Office Max...have fun...Barbo

Great. Looking forward to the pictures. With the help of all of you, my first effort seems to be coming together.

Hi.....Sorry for the delay ....The first photo demonstrate a partial enlargement of the backdrop. The second photo is a label of one of the backdrops kit by Walthers and the third photo is a sample of the easy to do instructions sheets . The method is the same in any sheet or cardboard backdrop. What I did on my first ''Book Diorama'' was cut each structure and glue them on foamboard with different thickness , this looks as if each structure is in dif. distance. Hope you like the idea........Have Fun ....Barbo. http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B1.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B2.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B3.jpg

Edited by Barbo

Hi.....Sorry for the delay ....The first photo demonstrate a partial enlargement of the backdrop. The second photo is a label of one of the backdrops kit by Walthers and the third photo is a sample of the easy to do instructions sheets . The method is the same in any sheet or cardboard backdrop. What I did on my first ''Book Diorama'' was cut each structure and glue them on foamboard with different thickness , this looks as if each structure is in dif. distance. Hope you like the idea........Have Fun ....Barbo. http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B1.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B2.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/B3.jpg

Tried all three links and get a "page not found" message on each. What am I doing wrong?

Hi..m408.....send us photos once you finish with the backdrop..........Be Happy........Barbo

No camera. But hen I get it done, I'll try to borrow one and figure out how to send some pics. Will be kind of fun to show the results of my first attempt under you folks' guidance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, m408 and Barbo! If building in 1/24-1/25, here is the tip: Get a 6" machinist's rule. A good one will have inch scale on one side, and metric on the other. As there are 25 milimeters to one inch, and we are working in 1/25, (1/24-close enough) there are 25 milimeters to one inch. Therefore, one mm. equals one inch.

Your house "man-door" will be 78 mm high. A typical car tire will be about 25" tall (25 mm in our scale)

Six-foot tall guy: 72 mm. Five-foot tall girl: 60mm. The guy's feet are 12 mm long...

Car steering wheels are 14.5"-17" diameter. Make the model car's the same, only in mm.

Chopping a top? 4"=4mm. Neat, and handy. Sears, Orchard Supply, Harbor Freight. Just make sure it is Metric at least on one edge!

Back to the background, if you want to add depth to your scene, you can go smaller than 1/24 scale for the background. It will force perspective and create depth. I was playing around in this photo and placed a 1/32 Mustang about 2" to 3" behind the 1/25 ones. It would have turned out better if I could have not included the houses, but you can see the result.

46and40.jpg