Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Warning Signs (No More Surprises, Please!)

Here's the story behind this thread. I saw those boys at the GAS MOKEY GARAGE do a beautiful Apachee Pick Up, and so I got inspired, got on line and ordered two AMT 55 Cameos (one of those kits I really like and keep coming back to), so the kits arrived really fast and in my excitement I opened up both of them. Well, both kits are in pretty bad shape. Lots of flash everywhere, including the clear parts. Some of the parts look brittle, ill-fitting. To make a long story short, this kit triggered this reaction: I DON'T REMEMBER THIS KIT BEING IN SUCH A BAD SHAPE.

So I thought I'd share this experience with you in hopes that if you've had a similar experience with a different kit, you'd sound the alarm. I know that molds degenerate over time, etc . . . but this clearly will be a learning experience for me. Instead of going to the new release and being surprised, I might opt next time to look around for a copy of the kit I remember being in good condition, etc . . .

Anyway, I do not intend for this to turn into any particular manufacturers' bashing fest, so please don't bash individual manufacturers. I am just asking for other examples of kits we should be "warned" about.

Guest G Holding

The last 2 cameo kits I got were the same way Doc...The box sides were the worst.

I did love the orange and cream Richard and Aaron did!

Edited by G Holding

Wow...Gas Monkey did something nice? The couple of shows I saw had them hacking up the quarter panels on a solid Ford Fairmont, and starting on that Chevy pickup. I think I saw the one with the '59 Rambler wagon too.

The Revell '32 Ford three-window coupe kits have developed some nasty parting lines at the rear of the roof; also, I think the tooling around the trunk lid area has gotten a bit sloppy. Even on the earliest kits, the panel line for the trunk lid isn't really an engraved line all around...across the top (near the rear window) it "steps" from one level to another. It isn't hard to fix that; use the "step" as a guide to scribe the panel line, and then knock the stepped-up part down to the level of the trunk lid.

I haven't bought the current issue of the 3W; perhaps Revell has fixed this. I've got a couple more early kits (with lettering on the tires too) in case I want to build another one. I've been able to scrounge those kits for next to nothing at flea markets, toy shows, and automotive swap meets, and have a few stashed for parts and conversions. More recently, I've grabbed the later variations (5W coupe, two-door sedan) because they have extra wheels and engines. You don't often see the sedan or 5W coupe outside of retail stores, but Michael's usually has them on the shelf, and the 40% (this week 50%) coupon knocks the price down enough to make buying another one worthwhile.

I have discovered the extra $$$ for an original most times is worth it. While it is nice to see repops, I do hope the manufactures would at least clean things up before distributing.

I have been disappointed more often than not, with the re-released kits. I hope you build your truck Dr. sounds cool.

I also have a project going using the 55 Cameo "re-pop", The parts did seem some what brittle to me as well. The plastics formula being sub-grade, also being a cheaply made Chinese made product no telling what we will get. ( check the stamp inside of the cab) I was not happy being it was molded in Bright yellow either & prefer the higher quallity grey tinted plastic much better. Not all kits are created equal even if they come out of the same cavity...

I think Gramps answered the question with these three words "Chinese made product". You get what you get from them and it's not their problem. I remember a few years back when Hot Wheels were testing for high levels of heavy metals in the paint. Mattel had to apologize to the Chinese for what the Chinese manufacturers had done. What they had done wrong was somehow Mattel's fault.

What I like'd the most about my new Camio truck was the fact it was mold'd in yellow, and inside the cab roof was marked 1955 chevrolet, and the interior tub was mark'd 1957 Chevrolet :huh: :huh:, and felt as brittle as a leaf, but I'm gonna tray and work it anyway, as this will be only my 2nd truck build ever.....

Probably already been covered somewhere else here but the moulds for the body of the AMT Dirty Donny Vantasy should never have been used in the condition they are in. The drip rail and window trim detail is so soft there is really no option other than to sand it off and start again.

Remember, the 55 Cameo was modified to also produce a 57 Cameo. The Interior

tub was likely so close to identical that they did not re-modify it to 55 marking.

I got a pre-painted 41 Woody with several of the engine parts mis-molded.

Returned it.

Also had one of the MPC Indy Pace car sets with the Camaro body Melted &

flattened/crushed on the front corner. also returned that kit.

Cranky:

See what happens when you buy lots and lots of the same kit.

I think YOU are responnsible for wearing out the molds.

I'd better buy a couple more Revell 49 Mercs before Cranky wears out that mold too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better hurry, Jim, I just bought 4 more! LOL!

Probably already been covered somewhere else here but the moulds for the body of the AMT Dirty Donny Vantasy should never have been used in the condition they are in. The drip rail and window trim detail is so soft there is really no option other than to sand it off and start again.

There a horror man, I got 2 of those to do Gypsy Queen, WOW! very disappointed....

The orange crate kit. The two mold half's are off by 1mm .I don't mind flash but this is off so much you have to grind half the part away to make it even.I'll never buy that one again.

Thanks for the Heads up Terry & Doc! I was just about to buy one. too Close call on this one, Thanks again

!

Edited by Gramps2u

I have discovered the extra $$$ for an original most times is worth it. While it is nice to see repops, I do hope the manufactures would at least clean things up before distributing.

I have been disappointed more often than not, with the re-released kits. I hope you build your truck Dr. sounds cool.

I agree with James. Especially if you want to build an AMT '56 Victoria, '57 Fairlane or '58 Impala (the opening-door kits). Try to get one from the '60s or early '70s - before they wore the molds out and when they were still produced in the USA.

Edited by Matt T.

The orange crate kit. The two mold half's are off by 1mm .I don't mind flash but this is off so much you have to grind half the part away to make it even.I'll never buy that one again.

Are you guys talking about the frame? I have an original frame and besides huge parting lines it looks OK. I'll have to check my "Hot Rods" reissue, the one molded in yellow.

Here's the story behind this thread. I saw those boys at the GAS MOKEY GARAGE do a beautiful Apachee Pick Up, and so I got inspired, got on line and ordered two AMT 55 Cameos (one of those kits I really like and keep coming back to), so the kits arrived really fast and in my excitement I opened up both of them. Well, both kits are in pretty bad shape. Lots of flash everywhere, including the clear parts. Some of the parts look brittle, ill-fitting. To make a long story short, this kit triggered this reaction: I DON'T REMEMBER THIS KIT BEING IN SUCH A BAD SHAPE.

So I thought I'd share this experience with you in hopes that if you've had a similar experience with a different kit, you'd sound the alarm. I know that molds degenerate over time, etc . . . but this clearly will be a learning experience for me. Instead of going to the new release and being surprised, I might opt next time to look around for a copy of the kit I remember being in good condition, etc . . .

Anyway, I do not intend for this to turn into any particular manufacturers' bashing fest, so please don't bash individual manufacturers. I am just asking for other examples of kits we should be "warned" about.

i have three of these kits and there all like that!!

Revell '54 Chevy Panel - As with the kits Matt lists above, get the earliest release you can find as they went on making these way too long.

Now, has anyone opened up the current "Ed Roth" release of the Revell '56 F100? This kit has been around for ever in various forms including a 'Hot Rod' magazine version (usually the last resort for worn moulds IME) which I gave up on. Did they restore the moulds for this release or, as I have heard, is it still a badly fitting pile of poo.