Model Cars Magazine Forum

Purple Shortie Pickup

Here's one I built a long time ago. Originally I was going to do a cube van and then got intrigued with popping the rear of the van onto the cab. So here are the results...

shortyfront-vi.jpg

I put the Prowler wheels on it 'temporary' many years ago until I got a better idea. Haven't changed them yet! The wood bed is just balsa with tiny ship model brass nails on it. That was my first attempt at making a bed.

shortynose-vi.jpg

This was the last version of the Dodge van kit with a decent realistic grill. I painted up the front as I'd want my real 1:1 to be detailed out. The paint is Pactra RC Car Colors with a Testors pearl clear coat over it.

shortyrear1-vi.jpg

Rear was fairly simple. I used the kit tail lights and attached them to the back of the frame. I kept the dual rear windows but filled in the door line below it. Later on I thought it would have been cool to have hinged them so the bottoms opened.

shortyside-vi.jpg

For connecting the cab and the extreme rear, I cut it behind the door. If I did it again I would have cut it at the back of the door. One less seam to hide. The roof on the van sloped back gradually and didn't line up at all. There's a lot of plastic and putty added at the back to allow for them to match with a reasonable slope.

IMG_2538-vi.jpg

And a recent shot on my bench. For those wondering what happened to the center section, here it is. It spent years as a paint stand in my paint booth. I recently gave it a dunk in the purple pond and it is the basis of my Dog House Camper I'm currently working on. Waste not, want not!