Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now it's diesels with those BIG pipes.

Is there a reason why they smoke so much? Are the engines just torqued up that much that the oil just blows into the cylinders? Looks like the're running on coal. I think coal would actually be cleaner! Talk about an environmental disaster.

Is there a reason why they smoke so much? Are the engines just torqued up that much that the oil just blows into the cylinders? Looks like the're running on coal. I think coal would actually be cleaner! Talk about an environmental disaster.

Diesels have almost become the "ricers" of truck modding. I guess a little smoke is good for the engines when under heavy load (pulling, racing, ect), but when they start pouring out that much smoke it's more for show and/or to be raging douchebags (moreso the latter) and just wastes $4.00+ a gallon fuel. Funny you mentioned coal, they actually call doing that "Rolling Coal" and use and little excuse to do that.......See somebody on a bicycle, dump smoke on 'em....see a hybrid, dump smoke on them too........see a car with an open window, fill it with smoke, even if it's a minivan with kids in it.

Diesels have almost become the "ricers" of truck modding. I guess a little smoke is good for the engines when under heavy load (pulling, racing, ect), but when they start pouring out that much smoke it's more for show and/or to be raging douchebags (moreso the latter) and just wastes $4.00+ a gallon fuel. Funny you mentioned coal, they actually call doing that "Rolling Coal" and use and little excuse to do that.......See somebody on a bicycle, dump smoke on 'em....see a hybrid, dump smoke on them too........see a car with an open window, fill it with smoke, even if it's a minivan with kids in it.

lol hahahaha this is sompthing i can do with my gas burnner!!! woops:)

The black smoke is from dumping way too much fuel in the engine and getting incomplete combustion. Diesels should smoke SOME under load but the examples above are pretty far into raging douche bag territory. On the pulling and diesel drag trucks if you notice they smoke the most when they are spooling the turbo up and after the begin their run they clear up to varying degrees.

It seems that around here the "in thing" is for kids with these smokey trucks is to cover motorcyclists at stoplights in soot, reving the engines and laughing out loud. I predict it is only a matter of time before the new "in thing" for bikers is kicking in bedsides at stoplights.

My son had very short talk with one of those black smoke pumping trucks . He was on his motorcycle when the guy covered him with his black smoke. He made him pull over at the next stop sign. Needdless to say the guy was scared to death after the little talk.I think the guy will think long and hard before he ever does that to another motorcycle rider. Why the law lets these truck get by with it is beyond me.

The excess smoke can be deemed necessary depending on what your doing. Most the time it is excess fuel being sent through the exhaust, but the turbo on these things run off of exhaust flame. NOT the smoke. So add a little more fuel to the mix to help cool EGT on the long grades and hard pulls. Propane or nitrous can also be used but those require filling and in some states illegal. On the extreme end of the spectrum, in he truck and tractor pulling world where "pressurized" fuels are illegal it leaves you stuck with good ole #2 to make power and keep EGTs cool. When your in the throttle for about 30 seconds with your EGT staying upwards of 1600 degrees the raw black through the stacks is simply keeping things from "being to lean" in gas performance terminology, to keep from melting your $200k motor.

However, a guy can have a totally pumped up truck and if he KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE IT, will have minimal exhaust smoke. But can at will step on it and turn your headlights off in the night. Why pump them up? Fuel mileage believe it or not. I know it's crazy and probably doesn't make sense but pump up a diesel and they get better fuel mileage. If you drive sensibly. If not your mileage suffers. Basic common sense in that aspect. Hopefully that clears something's up.

My son had very short talk with one of those black smoke pumping trucks . He was on his motorcycle when the guy covered him with his black smoke. He made him pull over at the next stop sign. Needdless to say the guy was scared to death after the little talk.I think the guy will think long and hard before he ever does that to another motorcycle rider. Why the law lets these truck get by with it is beyond me.

I think the police are catching on to that nonsense. A friend of mine was running around in his warmed over 6.0l SuperDuty and saw an old CUCV K-20 rolling coal all over everything. Maybe a hour or so later, he was pulled over by a city cop because there had been 911 calls about a truck dumping black smoke everywhere, and since he has a SuperDuty, he got stopped and questioned. In that conversation, he told the cop that he refused to do that with his SD, but had seen that CUCV rolling coal earlier and was willing to bet it was that guy he was looking for. Not sure what came of it, but my friend was pretty pissed about being profiled because of that other truck owner.

How did Audi, etc race LeMans with Diesels and NOT Smoke at all????

Oh, And BE so Silent even on the In-Car Cameras???

That I couldnt tell you. My "claim to fame" has never been to know it all. Simply sharing what I know and have learned first hand by being in and around this stuff, unlike most who set on the outside and bash things without really having their facts straight.

How did Audi, etc race LeMans with Diesels and NOT Smoke at all????

Oh, And BE so Silent even on the In-Car Cameras???

Catching On to the Quiet Efficiency of Diesels

The diesels are quiet as well as smoke-free. The Audi R15 runs on a special form of gas-to-liquid (GTL) diesel refined from natural gas by Shell Oil in Malaysia. The GTL is a particularly clean-burning diesel, and the remaining exhaust is scrubbed by two particulate filters. Many see GTL as a precursor to the process that may be used to synthesize biofuels from algae or waste products.

Read more: Diesels From Audi and Peugeot at Le Mans - Why Audi and Peugeot Diesels Rule the Le Mans Raceway - Popular Mechanics

Edited by clavender17