Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone ever done...

Hey guys, I have had a desire to build a 39 Ford Standard ever since I first laid eyes on one. Do you know of any resin caster that has done this body style in any form (coupe,sedan,etc.)? My searchs turn up nothing, but I am sure Goggle does not work on your brains.

I hope you guys can help,'cause my scratchbuilding efforts looks just like it sounds (like a chicken scratching in the dirt, can't quite make out what it is supposed to look like). LOL

BTW Anyway to get spell check on this baby?

Glenn,

I usually write my responses in Word, then copy and paste after spell checking. But that is just me....

No spell-check in this forum unfortunately.

Sorry but there are currently no versions of either the 1938 Deluxe or 1939 Standard Fords available in resin. At one time someone had produced in resin a front clip (fenders, grille and hood) of the 1938 Deluxe. That piece could be used to convert the venerable AMT '40. Could be a pretty good seller today but has been off the market for more than 10 years.

So... do one your self! Quite a few modelers including me have successfully accomplished this. It's not impossible and just takes a little time, evergreen plastic and two-part epoxy putty.

Oh yes, and lots of sandpaper!

Hey guys, I have had a desire to build a 39 Ford Standard ever since I first laid eyes on one. Do you know of any resin caster that has done this body style in any form (coupe,sedan,etc.)? My searchs turn up nothing, but I am sure Goggle does not work on your brains.

I hope you guys can help,'cause my scratchbuilding efforts looks just like it sounds (like a chicken scratching in the dirt, can't quite make out what it is supposed to look like). LOL

BTW Anyway to get spell check on this baby?

Beyond the grille, front fenders and hood, the rest is the same as the Deluxe.

Keep in mind that '39 Fords have exactly the same basic bodies as the '40, with the exception of the swing-out windshield. You can do this conversion on any '40, by remaking the windshield with the frame flush on the outside, fill in the lines for the cowl vent, and move the wipers to above the windshield.

Biscuitbuilder

39 Standard!

The '39 Standard was actually a warmed over 1938 Deluxe...

38standard.jpg

Yes, it's JUST fenders, hood and grille but those are daunting modifications for the average builder.

Not much of a challenge for the "BISCUITBUILDER"!

8)

Well,

Sorry to disappoint ya, Jairus, but I have yet to even dare think about doing one!

Biscuitbuilder

Jarius, What was that beautiful woody you did several years ago? I remember seeing an article or pictures in a magazine awhile back but I can seem to find it in my collection of old magazines. I would love to see the pics again if you have them and can post them. I understand about copywritten material.

Would the Black Force, from that fertile designing mind, be a good starting point for fenders? I can seem to find one in my collection to check. I thought I had a couple that I had not given away to kids.

Jarius, What was that beautiful woody you did several years ago? I remember seeing an article or pictures in a magazine awhile back but I can seem to find it in my collection of old magazines. I would love to see the pics again if you have them and can post them. I understand about copywritten material.

Would the Black Force, from that fertile designing mind, be a good starting point for fenders? I can seem to find one in my collection to check. I thought I had a couple that I had not given away to kids.

Glenn,

They might.

I'd suggest looking at the fenders from Revell's '37 Fords, for the forward part, just in case though. It seems to me that the '38 Ford Deluxe front fenders, although they sort of look the same, are actually quite different when put side-by-side with a '39 Standard, but I could be wrong on that.

In any case, though, it would probably be easier to splice the front part of either the '37, or those custom '38 fenders (from the Black Force) to the Revell '40 Ford Coupe fenders (or AMT '40, if that is what you are thinking of using). That way, you are pretty much assured that the fenders will make correctly to the body shell you are going to use.

Also, don't forget that '38 Deluxe Fords, and all '39 Fords, while they share essentially the same bodies with the 40's, have swing-out windshields (last year for this feature at Ford was 1939, and no cowl vents. The swing out windshield actually has a frame that overlaps it's opening, which will be far easier to do with the Revell 40.

Also, if you are building this as a stock '39 Standard, I would suggest the wheels, tires and hubcaps from the Revell '37 Ford pickup or Panel Delivery--Ford used the same 16" wide five artillery wheels from 1936 through 1929.

Biscuitbuilder

Glenn,

The woody you are probably thinking about was a 1936. Although I have built quite a few woody station wagons, that one received a very nice article in SAE written by Mark Gustavson. That was in the April '87 issue! Thus far the only woody wagons I have completed are stock. The first woody that I have ever completed that is not built factory stock is posted here on this forum! As for pictures of the '36.... that car is currently in the Model Car Museum, Salt Lake City, and I don't have any pictures available to post. Sorry!

As an aside... you guys don't have to call SAE "Brand X" or any of the other euphemisms that are commonly used to tiptoe around the issue. Gregg and I both have complete collections of the Pre-Klambach periodicals. We love and appreciate the huge contributions to the hobby made by Gary Schmidt, the Highland Productions staff and contributing writers from the summer of 1979 to December 1996! Everyone should strive to complete their own reference collections of these magazines and Plastic Fanatic/Model Cars Magazine. That is, IF they want the best possible access to ALL the known tips and tricks, How-to's, and feature articles the hobby has to offer!

(Thank you Gary, Gregg and Roy!)

8)

Thanks for the issue date Jarius. I think I can find my copy now.

BTW I just won a Premier issue of the old Car Modeler magazine on ebay for 5.95 including shipping. It's great to see how far we have come in the past two decades.

And thanks for the first class magazine Model Cars was/is and will continue to be!!