Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Monogram 1:25 '93 Chevy S-10 Pickup

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It's been almost 20 years old since Monogram released it's '93 Chevy S-10 standard cab shortbed 4x2 pickup, but this kit has held up very well, mostly due to the kits' excellent design and engineering. This kit was a companion to the '91 GMC Syclone released by Revell in 1992 (reviewed here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30279&hl=syclone) , so there is some parts sharing, just like on the real Chevy S-10 and GMC S-15 pickups. Two other versions of the S-10 kit include the "Waverider" custom, kit #2438, issued in 1994 and molded in metallic green, and the Lowrider 3'n 1, kit #85-2569 from 1999, which contained parts to build any of the three variations.

More info and pics: HERE

Posted · Report post

It is a good kit, I do like the detail that they were able to put into it. It's too bad that they didn't make a Blazer/Jimmy version themselves. It's also too bad they didn't offer parts to make a 4WD version. Wouldn't have been too difficult since they could have just used the Syclone parts and figured out how to raise the suspension.

Posted · Report post

Nice review. Makes me want to pick one up sounds like a good one

Posted · Report post

Another thing, I may be wrong but from what I've seen, they didn't offer those wheels on the 2WD versions, only on the 4WD versions (due to different offsets.)

Posted · Report post

One thing that jumps out at me is the very decent color it's molded in. I'd be tempted to polish that up and finish it unpainted.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice review. I'm a huge a fan of the 1:1 and the kits. The syclone kit actually is a 91 because gm made 2995 and only 3 in 92, then they cancelled it.

Regarding the cameo body kit. The kit actually represents the cameo el package which ONLY included the front bumper cover and rear ground effects(not in kit though), and it is less rare then the normal cameo. Overall they are great kits and I got a waverider/2 syclones(one will become a typhoon)/ and two standard 93's to build.

Here's one I started awhile ago. It's on amt 86 el camino rims and tires. The kit wheels are very incorrect for a 2wd.

129.jpg

Edited by Jared Roach

I had a few of those when I was building truck models in the 90s. Very nice kits. Those were "The Days", AMT, Revell, and Monogram putting out kits of new trucks and SUVs! My father in law had a base model 4 cylinder with a biege, kind of sunset paint scheme - wouldn't mind building that now.

Edited by Erik Smith

Posted · Report post

I love that kit and 1:1 S-10s and have had many of them in various forms,wish Revell would reissue it,and some aftermarket support would be great cause those trucks are still very pouplar

Posted · Report post

Another thing, I may be wrong but from what I've seen, they didn't offer those wheels on the 2WD versions, only on the 4WD versions (due to different offsets.)

That is correct, they are the 4x4 wheels. I have the same ones on my '85. Also, on the 1:1, the wheels will only interchange one way due to the offset/backspace differences. The 2wd wheels can be installed on the 4x4, but not the other way around.

Posted · Report post

I've had a few 1:1's that bodystyle (a pair of slammed '91 SWB's,an '87 extended cab stock 2wd and an '88 4x4 "Sport"),I'm no expert either,but it looks right to my eye,and +2,those were indeed 4x4 only wheels,though I have ran them until-I-could-get-better on a slammed 2wd :P Great review :D I wish Revellogram would see fit to reissue it. I have ONE in the stash salvaged after the house fire,but not all of it survivied :(

Posted · Report post

If Revell were to re-release it, I would prefer they do the 3n1 version since it provides plenty of extra parts.

Hi, I built an '80s long bed version from this kit. I used a 4 cyl engine from a Nissan truck kit and the round gauges from a Cyclone kit. I made window cranks too, since the kit had power window switches. I also removed the abs module from the inner fender etc.. I think the rims I used were from the Amt '96? blazer custom rims and tires. I weathered it slightly and added try transfer letters to the doors. I also opened the gas filler door and added some detail to it, just like the 1:1 movie vehicle. (before the chase scene with the semi truck)

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=2928

here is a pic of it, from my profile on this site, other detail pics of it are also in my 'gallery' in my profile.

I used a Perrys resin '80s S-10 grille and at least 2 S-10 kits to lengthen the bed etc, for the Terminator 2 chase scene version.

I had a 1;1 '91 extra cab and also have a resin extra cab from Perrys, both probably are not made any more, they were some of his first castings and it took a long time to get them.

Edited by Greg L.

Posted · Report post

wow, thanks for posting the pics of this kit. I've always assumed it was a 4x4 on account of the wrong wheels and the Syclone version. Now I have to get one!

Any good source for an Iron Duke?

Posted · Report post

Any good source for an Iron Duke?

I think the MPC '84 Pontiac Fiero included the 4-cylinder Iron Duke engine, but I've never seen a clear pic of it, and you'd still need to source a RWD transmission for behind the engine, too.

Posted · Report post

. I think the rims I used were from the Amt '93 blazer custom rims and tires.

93 and 94 Blazers were square body. Did AMT actually make a square body Blazer kit?

wow, thanks for posting the pics of this kit. I've always assumed it was a 4x4 on account of the wrong wheels and the Syclone version.

Ya know, one could always imagine those wheels were an aftermarket fabrication...just like chromed 18" IROC Camaro wheels. :D

Edited by Skydime

Posted · Report post

Did AMT actually make a square body Blazer kit?

No, it was never available in 1/25 scale kit form. A resin 4-door Blazer conversion was made by All American Models in the '90s, and VCG Resins is working on a 2-door, but only the 2-door second gen was available as a kit.

Posted · Report post

I had the "Waverider" S-10. But, to me, it looked to be closer to 1/24 scale than 1/25. I know it states 1/25 on the box. But.... the wheels look a lot bigger than a 15" wheel and the tires are the same tires that Monogram used in a lot of their other 1/24 kits. A friend saw it on the shelf and wanted it. So, I sold it to him. I need to snag me another one and check it out again. I always get a chuckle when I see these generation S-10's that are 2wd and someone has stuck a 4wd rearend in it. :lol: You just know they went hmmmm when they stuck their wheels and tires on and they stuck out way past the fenders.

Posted · Report post

No, it was never available in 1/25 scale kit form. A resin 4-door Blazer conversion was made by All American Models in the '90s, and VCG Resins is working on a 2-door, but only the 2-door second gen was available as a kit.

There was a 4-door 2nd Gen Blazer by AMT as well, but it was in the Snap-Fast line.

Posted · Report post

I think the MPC '84 Pontiac Fiero included the 4-cylinder Iron Duke engine, but I've never seen a clear pic of it, and you'd still need to source a RWD transmission for behind the engine, too.

I'd need another one of those pesky Borg-Warner T5's to go on it! Although I'm pretty sure the S10 T5's were a different case than a Mustang or Camaro version.

Posted · Report post

I'd need another one of those pesky Borg-Warner T5's to go on it! Although I'm pretty sure the S10 T5's were a different case than a Mustang or Camaro version.

They were, and the Astro/Safari main cases too. :( I may need to scrounge up one of the MPC 3GN GM F-body kits for a V8 T-5 bellhousing, but you might be able to modify the T-bird's BH to work behind the Iron Duke.

Posted · Report post

They were, and the Astro/Safari main cases too. :( I may need to scrounge up one of the MPC 3GN GM F-body kits for a V8 T-5 bellhousing, but you might be able to modify the T-bird's BH to work behind the Iron Duke.

The main part of the case looks to be about the same, it's just the tail housing that is different, the S10 unit has the shifter closer to the front, the F/Fox units are on the rear. Looks like maybe the F/Fox unit would make a decent stand in with not to much modification.

S10T5.jpg

Ok... Totally hijaking this thread and I do feel bad about it... I'll stop now.

Posted · Report post

I learned a lot about the T5 when I went looking for one to put into my '95 Astro, but you're right, it's the tailhousings and parts contained within them which differ the most between the various T5s. I have some long term S-10 parts plans, so this isn't totally off topic. I think a long bed and frame to match would be a good thing to have available.

Funny... I had an 87 Astro with an Iron Duke and a T5 years ago... Could have walked faster backward but it was kind of neat! Keep me in mind if/when you decide to cast some of them, I'd be interested in several no matter the configuration.

To the wheel discussion... Seems like all the kit makers reuse the same tires over and over whether appropriate or not (tires must either be hard to do, or expensive to license, or something?) it seems bizarre to me that they would tool up the 4wd wheels for the S10 , but later do the AWD parts (which are mostly indistinguishable from 4wd parts) for the Syclone. Can't help but wonder if there were some missing memo's on the S10 project back then. We might easily have been having a thread about suitable donor kits for 2wd front suspension instead! biggrin.png

Posted · Report post

To the wheel discussion... Seems like all the kit makers reuse the same tires over and over whether appropriate or not (tires must either be hard to do, or expensive to license, or something?) it seems bizarre to me that they would tool up the 4wd wheels for the S10 , but later do the AWD parts (which are mostly indistinguishable from 4wd parts) for the Syclone. Can't help but wonder if there were some missing memo's on the S10 project back then. We might easily have been having a thread about suitable donor kits for 2wd front suspension instead! biggrin.png

The Syclone kit was released first, the regular S10 was a bit later. In fact, on some of the trees, parts of the Syclone AWD system (front diff center section and 1/2 shafts) are present in the 2wd S10 kit. Either way, it's still bizzare that they would have tooled up the wrong wheels for the 2wd. It would have been more accurate if they had used a set 16" Camaro wheels, which at least were a legit option on 2wd S trucks.

Thanks Casey, I actually didn't know about the resin 4 door square body. I was pretty sure that no production square body blazer kits was the case....must have just been a typo. No biggie.

Edited by Skydime