Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Ramcharger

DSC00341-vi.jpg

I built this Dodge Ramcharger a bunch of years ago but I hadn't posted it on this forum. It's the old Monogram kit, and as such was a bit simplified and toylike for starters, This was my first shot at using auto paint from the spray can. It's Plastikote paint with their clear over it all.

DSC00345-vi.jpg

Rear view

DSC00351-vi.jpg

Under the hood. Things were molded in here like the battery and windshield washer tank. I had to rely on detail painting to make it convincing.

DSC00353-vi.jpg

Here's where the kit was truly lacking. The chassis was fairly good and detailed but the floor was simply the interior tub bottom with huge gaps all around it. I added a complete floor to it, still I didn't do a lot of detailing on that.

ramcharger_matchbox-vi.jpg

I built the truck as a memory of the Trail Dust Steak House. I used to travel on business to Denver all the time and would always go there. I liked the logo, so in the days before computer decal printing, I created the decals on a Xerox machine. It also has Colorado plates.

ramcharger_ties3-vi.jpg

The interior is beige tones with actual brown carpet. I went for just two seats up front opting for some cargo room in the back. The Trail Dust Steak House had a thing where if you wore a tie there, they'd cut it off and buy you a drink. All in fun, so guys would wear a crummy tie there. The walls of the place were lined with ties, so I decided to make a box of bad and loud ties. Those were fun to make.

All in all, I'm pleased with the build. It has a special place in my display case.

Very Nice, Tom!

From the Small World Department: I always loved that Trail Dust, too. Denver Tech Center, east side of I-25. Good food, lots of it, not too expensive, great fun. Whilest living in God's Country, we ate many a scorched cow dinner there, and I surrendered more than a few gawdy gift ties! Our kids absolutely LOVED the two-story slippery slide in the middle of the dining room! You don't see that every day.

This model brought back very fond memories the first time I saw it ... and more of the same now. Thanks for reprising it, Tom!

B)