Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 King Cobra Mustang

Hi Sean,

If you're interested in the body only, try contacting Kevin at Missing Link Resin. The styrene body (only) can be found in the current Mustang II kit. Kevin can sell you the Cobra bits:

kevin@missinglinkrc.com

Also, there was a complete Cobra II kit by MPC. They pop up on eBay quite often.

For the best Cobra II decals, contact Keith Marks. His e-mail and Fotki address is:

mofobow@hotmail.com

Good luck!

John

They were/are cool cars. Not very quick perhaps but a nice running car. I think production was about 5000. I bought mine less than an hour it was pulled off the trailer but could not get it tll the next day. I was told it was the first one sold in California where I lived at the time. I put air shocks on the rear because I wanted to run a larger tire on the rear. They were Goodrich TA's. I think I paid 5,600 for the car but it was so long ago I don't really remember. Traded it in when gas prices got real high for a 4 cylinder car. It never gave me a problem while I had it and hardly ever saw another one.

The revell cobra street racer which was yellow. Then they put out a more custom version as part of the hot rod series. Which was a cobra street racer machine. Which was red. Thats what i remembered. Take a look at the yellow street racer and see if that gets you closer. There is one on ebay right now. Find it under revell cobra mustang.

I been trying to win that kit online but get outbid. For the price they go for I would rather do a resin transkit of that car. I used to own a real mustang II cobra. Was fun till the flywheel gear stripped and to search the world over to find one.

I been trying to win that kit online but get outbid. For the price they go for I would rather do a resin transkit of that car. I used to own a real mustang II cobra. Was fun till the flywheel gear stripped and to search the world over to find one.

Just curious why was it so hard to find a Flywheel ring gear? Ones for the 2.3 are still available from about a million places, the small diameter V-8 one is still on the after market, & I believe you can get a new flexplate, (if it had the auto) from Ford, & the w.8 V-6 flywheels were made up to '89, & you can still find new ones from several aftermarket clutch & flywheel companies. I had a somewhat similar problem with a 2.0 Pinto flywheel, but it was a rare Macleod aluminum flywheel that went out of production, & the ring gear itself was one for a 2.0 Automatic flexplate, & I couldn't find a shop that would do the swap as it needed to be drilled to fit the flywheels rivets, & they had half the hole on the flywheel, & half in the ring gear. made me cry to have to scrap a $200 (1978 dollars) flywheel.

mine is not slow by no means. lol

my father in law also has one

Mine was completly stock and I think the 302 only had about 130 hp back then. It was not a very quick car by no means when stock. I think even the Corvettes with 350's back then only had 180 or 190 hp. Things are much better now. What engine and mods are in your KC ?

mine has a 5.0 h.o block from a fox body mustang thats stroked to a 306 , has eagle rods kieth black pistons, edelbrock tourqer II intake 93 Cobra heads with valve job and port and polish. it has a lunati voodoo 571 lift cam 231 duration. edelbrock 750 cfm, underdrive pullies. built c4 with 2800 stall, aluminum driveshaft, and a 9" rear. i had the car on the local truck scale and it only ways a little under 2400lbs.

Apparently the ring gear for the v-8 for manual trans was unique to that application due to its size. I work in the auto parts business and couldn't locate a replacement ring gear anywhere. Ford had even discontinued it. So i had the machine shop reverse the ring gear i had and tack it in place on the flywheel put it back together and sold it. As you stated theauto flexplates are easier to find.

Let me try to be more specific...

I am not aware of anyone that makes a GOOD King Cobra resin trans kit.

So... you will need the Mustang II resin trans kit from Missing Link (OR Blue Oval ResinWorks).

For the rear spoiler. (Missinglinks includes the hood scoop)

The front Pacecar/ Cobra/ GT air dam from any one of the 79-84 MPC Mustang kits (except the Turbo cobra)

You'll need to either scratch build the side skirts, or modify them from an MPC Svo.

Good Luck.

Edited by Abell82

Hi Sean,

If you're interested in the body only, try contacting Kevin at Missing Link Resin. The styrene body (only) can be found in the current Mustang II kit. Kevin can sell you the Cobra bits:

kevin@missinglinkrc.com

Also, there was a complete Cobra II kit by MPC. They pop up on eBay quite often.

For the best Cobra II decals, contact Keith Marks. His e-mail and Fotki address is:

mofobow@hotmail.com

Good luck!

John

Guys, I had to change my email addy to kawifreek@msn.com, thanks

Kevin Missing Link resin cast

• 2 weeks later...