Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

different engine as well.

the BW had a fuelie. this is the bat wing dual quad set up

Could be the F.I. engine. It was an option in all models for '57. All engines were available in all models, I've even seen a Bel Air convertible with the 235 six in it! :D

That was a strange car in other ways too; six cylinder, three on the tree, radio delete, and clock delete. Basically a stripped, no options, top of the line car. Very odd.

All that would really need to be tooled up is the manifold, carbs, and the batwing filter housing, as well as a set of correct exhaust manifolds. Everything else on the engine would be the same. Even then, they could leave the feulie parts in it for an option. Or even better, put the Black Widow racing parts in it. Nascar did have a convertible class back then, so it wouldn't be incorrect.

Could be the F.I. engine. It was an option in all models for '57. All engines were available in all models, I've even seen a Bel Air convertible with the 235 six in it! :D

That was a strange car in other ways too; six cylinder, three on the tree, radio delete, and clock delete. Basically a stripped, no options, top of the line car. Very odd.

Do you remember the color, Drew? I might have to build that just for the weird factor.

Charlie Larkin

Interior should be diffrent as well, it will need doglegs in the rear for the top. Besides, what's wrong with wanting to see test shots?

Well nothing I suppose...

First of all, I was just giving Mark a hard time, he's a friend from back when we had a chat room around here.

But beyond that Revell has never shown test shot/tooling mock-ups of kits with minor changes. There weren't test shots of the Nova SS and COPO Nova from the original Yenko kit. Of the 150/BW from the BelAir kit. I can't remember seeing mock-ups of the Yenko, B-M, SS Convertible '69 Camaros from the 90's kit, and therefore I doubt we'll see one of the ZL-1 variation. If the '57 Convertible isn't out before the Late Fall-Winter new/reissue announcements, we might see the box-art model on display.

Then again, you never know. I don't remember Revell ever showing off these parts layout/tooling test shots "in the gray" build-ups prior the last few years either.

Or will they conjure up a new mold for the convertible body? :huh:

Yes. The '57 Chevy Sedan body tooling is not going to be irreversibly modified to release a convertible.

As James said, I suspect when the Fall 2013 releases are announced in May 2013, we will see pics of the '57 'vert box art, or maybe a bit sooner via Revell's facebook page.

Do you remember the color, Drew? I might have to build that just for the weird factor.

Charlie Larkin

No, Charlie, I don't, sorry.

So does this mean no further reissues of a Revell '57 2 door post? :wacko: Or will they conjure up a new mold for the convertible body? :huh:

A convertible would require an entire new body. The sedans had a different belt line and windshield height and more rear seat leg room than hardtops and convertibles.

It will be a dual-quad with the batwing air cleaner. One of the options from a previous kit could always be a possibility. Convertibles had a totally different upholstery pattern than the 150 and 2-door BA (which both had unique upholstery patterns of their own, and they nailed both) they've done before, in addition to needing the doglegs for the top mechanism. Since they've gotten most everything spot-on with the 150 and 2-door post BA I'm going to trust that they get this one right, too. If I get any inside information specific to this kit, I'll pass it along, but I'm not expecting it until the summer anyway.

I'm not the world's greatest fan of the tri five Chevy's although I do like them. I guess that there have been so many releases over the years that I am kind of tired of looking at them and even in real life, I would not go out of my way to rush right out and buy one. maybe it's because my personal tastes tend to lean more towards stuff that is less trendy but I will probably buy one of these lits when ( if ) they are released. Revell has come a long ways IMHO from the old multi piece body models and kits where things just do not go together well at all such as the '53 ( 54? ) Chevy two doors and sedan deliveries. They really are setting the standard by which model kits are judged these days and I hope that they continue to keep bringing out more unique stuff. The hobby needs some diversification and fresh input to survive.

Theoretically they should be able to use the boot and up-top that's in the '55 BelAir convertible kit for the '57.

But I really, really hope they don't make the windshield frame a separate plated piece. As can be seen on the '55 kit and the '59 Impala and Cadillac convertible kits, they never fit properly and always look out-of-scale. They should mold the frame with body just like the old AMT kits, and let us foil it. Kind of doubt they will though, unfortunately.

Edited by John Goschke

I bet the Windshield frame IS Separate & from the 55 kit along with the Boot cover. Since they were likely the same on the actual cars anyway. I don't care. I am just glad to Finally get a Convertible kit of the 57!! Will they do the 56 too??
I agree completely, a 57 nomad and 56 hard top are next on my got to have list!