Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

OK, so the 265s of '55 and '56 are red. And the '57 283s are the start of the Chevy orange engines? I always thought Chevy orange came in '58 along with the 348? Not the first or the last time I'll be wrong about something.

Scott

Close Scott, Chevy engine Orange started in 1955 with the passenger car V8 265 engines, then Chevy went to Red V8's in 1956 cars, although there appears to be a few documented Chevy Orange 265's in '56 cars that were probably leftover '55 production. All the 1957 passenger car V8 engines (265 and 283) would have been Chevy Orange except for the few Chartreuse 265's as noted before.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

There are two engine blocks in this kit. Other transmissions they both look the same. Anybody know what the difference between the two are? There are other duplicate/variation parts in this kit. But those are pretty easy to figure out.

Look real close at the two different engines and see if one has a manual transmission and one a Power glide transmission.  While not mentioned in the instructions they did the same thing on the Black Widow kits.

Look real close at the two different engines and see if one has a manual transmission and one a Power glide transmission.  While not mentioned in the instructions they did the same thing on the Black Widow kits.

I wondering why that isn't mentioned? I noticed the kit comes with an extra single pedal I assumed is also for the PowerGlide. Again, non mentioned in the instructions.

Nice to hear people talk about buying and building the kit. Rather than just bad mouthing it. I'm looking forward to see a few of these done. Now they need to issue a nice '57 Nomad kit.

post-10661-0-21269100-1406605201_thumb.j

Maybe not this exact kit. But, a modern tooling based on their more recent '57 Chevys.

Scott

This Revell Nomad kit is horrible. I threw my kit in the trash back in the 1970s.

This Revell Nomad kit is horrible. I threw my kit in the trash back in the 1970s.

I'm literally finishing building the Monogram '57 Nomad in the next few days. It's an easy build. But looks a little toyish and lacks a lot of detail. I agree about Revell's old '57 Nomad. A very tough kit to build. The best part of that kit was the original box art, that you show above. Thankfully Revell's present '57 convertible has no relationship to either of the two Nomad kits. It a much nicer kit. Revell needs to design a new '57 Nomad based on the same tooling as its other more modern tri-five Chevys.

Possibly we as model builders should concentrate more on what any new kit CAN BE and spend less time whining about it ISN'T. I'm just say'in.

Well saying we need a modern tool '57 Nomad is more of a fact than whining. Besides I think everyone already did concentrate on what this kit could be way back 5 years ago when it came out. This is a bit of a zombie thread.

Edited by niteowl7710

I built the original Revell '57 Nomad back in the '60's when I was a teenager, but there was no way that I would touch one of the Monogram Nomad kits due to the proportions of the body. There is a nice resin transkit of a '57 Nomad from Model Car World available if I get the urge, but I believe that Revell will introduce the kit before I get it built. I have a Franken-Resin '68 and '70 Charger to prove the point.