Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

In what I can only hope is a outrageous typo, Tower Hobbies is showing a MAY 2014 release for the '57 Chevy Convertible. I don't hold a lot of hope for future release news when current soon to be released kits are getting punted 6 months out.

Not a typo. When we interviewed them October 2, they indicated there were problems in the test shot that needed to be addressed and this particular kit would be delayed until May-June. The other 2nd half 2013 releases were moving ahead.

We still don't have permission to divulge any 2014 information and don't know the root cause for any delay.

As an aside, how long ago was the Moebius Ford Pickup announced? They indicated at IHOBBY that they learned from that and the Ventura and Comet are much farther along.

Isn't the X separate on the 55 BA convert? Couldn't find chassis pics at moment, but recall pace car was that way.

Maybe they can toss in NON-continental kit bumper? First issue of 55 had connie kit only as well. Or at least make it an option for people to add the ugly thing?

That's what's interesting about it, at least to me. I guess I assumed it would be partially based on the existing parts from the Monogram Revell '55 Bel Air Convertible, and that was why they hadn't shown the rest of the parts, only the new parts specific to this kit. I'm now guessing it's based on the '57 210/Bel Air/'56 Nomad tooling instead, which all have a separate fuel tank and vertical spare tire well insert piece which inserts into the chassis/floorpan.

Looking at the instructions for all four Revell Tri-Five kits, the only difference I can see between any of the exhaust systems is the tips, so I don't see what needs to be changed for use with the convertible's X-brace.

Honestly, as much as I hate to hear of release dates being bumped back, I'm heartened to hear that it's being done to ensure that the final product is as accurate as possible. There was a day when "good enough" would have ended up on the store shelves. I for one am glad the emphasis on quality has improved.

Looking at the instructions for all four Revell Tri-Five kits, the only difference I can see between any of the exhaust systems is the tips, so I don't see what needs to be changed for use with the convertible's X-brace.

I'll have to dig out the two 55 kits and see if there's a difference in shape between the exhausts, or it's all location pins. Since the '56/'57 chassis never supported a convertible before it doesn't have receiver holes for an X brace, and the brace itself might cover the exhaust system receiver holes when installed.

Edited by niteowl7710

Another new kit from Revell with a major detail problem? Sounds like they need a shake up in their personnel. I mean, seriously, it's not like there is no reference material out there... and it keeps on happening. I wish I could get paid to... er, make mistakes, and continue to be employed.

I'll have to dig out the two 55 kits and see if there's a difference in shape between the exhausts, or it's all location pins. Since the '56/'57 chassis never supported a convertible before it doesn't have receiver holes for an X brace, and the brace itself might cover the exhaust system receiver holes when installed.

To be crude, it looks like the brace just plops down in place over (well, under) the exhaust pipes, with no definitive locating pins, just the frame outrigger brackets as points of reference.

Because it's a last-second tack-on, as opposed to being engineered into the design of the chassis ...

It was a last second tack-on on the Monogram '55 Bel Air convertible kit? I understand why the '57 'vert needs to be reworked. I was replying to James' comment about locating points for the convertible's X-brace, and my comments were based on having looked at all the instruction sheets for the various 1/25 Revell Tri-Five kits.

To be crude, it looks like the brace just plops down in place over (well, under) the exhaust pipes, with no definitive locating pins, just the frame outrigger brackets as points of reference.

It goes over the exhaust if you look at the instructions it says "LAST" next to the brace.

It was a last second tack-on on the Monogram '55 Bel Air convertible kit? I understand why the '57 'vert needs to be reworked. I was replying to James' comment about locating points for the convertible's X-brace, and my comments were based on having looked at all the instruction sheets for the various 1/25 Revell Tri-Five kits.

Hmmm perhaps the better comparison would be between the '55 & '57 then, since the '55 was always a convertible first, the exhaust differences between the Vert and HT wouldn't exist since most likely the brace was just deleted out of the kit.

Edited by niteowl7710

It goes over the exhaust if you look at the instructions it says "LAST" next to the brace.

Hmmm perhaps the better comparison would be between the '55 & '57 then, since the '55 was always a convertible first, the exhaust differences between the Vert and HT wouldn't exist since most likely the brace was just deleted out of the kit.

Yes, the "under" is when the car is resting on its tires, and the over as shown in the instructions, with the chassis/floorpan upside down.

Again, I am basing what I see of the various Tri-Five exhaust systems based on the instruction sheet PDFs on Revell's own website. Other than the tips of both tailpipes, I don't see any differences between any of the Tri-Five kits' exhaust systems, be it the '55 'vert, '57 210, '57 Bel Air hardtop, '56 Del Ray, '56 Nomad, or the '55 Bel AIr Hardtop. Even the two mounting points per side look to be the same, and in the same location on every version.

This is for Steve G or for anyone else who personally looked and (and hopefully under) the '57 convertible Ed and Roger brought with them to the 2013 Toledo NNL, but did any of you get a peek at the underside?

Yes, the "under" is when the car is resting on its tires, and the over as shown in the instructions, with the chassis/floorpan upside down.

Again, I am basing what I see of the various Tri-Five exhaust systems based on the instruction sheet PDFs on Revell's own website. Other than the tips of both tailpipes, I don't see any differences between any of the Tri-Five kits' exhaust systems, be it the '55 'vert, '57 210, '57 Bel Air hardtop, '56 Del Ray, '56 Nomad, or the '55 Bel AIr Hardtop. Even the two mounting points per side look to be the same, and in the same location on every version.

This is for Steve G or for anyone else who personally looked and (and hopefully under) the '57 convertible Ed and Roger brought with them to the 2013 Toledo NNL, but did any of you get a peek at the underside?

After I watched the Revell of Germany VW beetle fall apart in Ed Sexton's hands as he was placing it on the table, I didn't even ask if I could pick up any of the other display models. So unfortunately I didn't see the underside of 57 Chevy Convertible. I checked my raw photos from the show and found nothing that would help. There were no chassis related photos on the display board.

I then check my 55 'vert kit and compared it 57 Black Widow Sedan. The chassis and exhaust parts are identical, even laid out the same with one exception. The 57 kit now has a separate insert for the gas tank and spare tire well, guess where they placed it ? You guessed it .....right where the x-braces go on the 55 'vert kits.

Houston, I think we have a problem. I guess they just have to find a new place to insert them.

-Steve

Put X-braces on new tree with non-continental kit bumper? But then if they do a Nomad, it'll have a continental kit.... :blink:

A GIF of Ed and the Bug falling apart at the show would be awesome. NNL's funniest moments.

Assuming you did that, wouldn't that mean the X-Brace would be chromed? Or are you suggesting they offered a non-connie bumper in raw plastic with a note saying "Best of Luck with the Alclad!" :lol:

Unless they block the non-connie bumper off the chrome tree (MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTAKE!) I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be in there. They've done two '57 Chevys off this tool now, the Connie bumper is on a separate runner with the windshield frame, vent windows and dual carbs. The ORIGINAL chrome runner has to still be in there for the grill, front bumper, wheels, door handles, et al.

Everybody understands, btw, that the '57 Black widow/Bel Air sedan is a heavily modified reissue from the '56 Nomad/Del Ray, right? The reason the gas tank insert is separate is because the '56 was planned for Nomad and sedan versions right from the start, and it's also the clearest tell of shared tooling between the '56 and '57 (edit - just as Casey has already observed).

It probably used the master patterns developed two years earlier for the '55, which would be why we once again have parts between two Revell kits that are 99% the same but do not come from the same molds. And so, since the '57 shares tooling with the '56 but not the '55, there was nothing for an automatic transfer of the '55's X-brace right over - even though the part may actually fit right into the '56/'57 frame.

Now why they couldn't have, y'know, taken a cue from the brace they did for the '55 - well, ya got me.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they based it off the 2 dr sedan kit instead of the hardtop. Kind of looks like they just cut the top off the sedan. The top of the door is straight without the swoop like the convertible/ hardtop.

I also see very little door top swoop on the passenger's side of the built up model.

Is the model in your second pic based on the Revell SnapTite '57?

Hope that Revell (or someone else?) eventually does a '56 Bel Air 2 door hardtop and/or convertible one of these days! The '56 never seems to get the same respect as the '55 or '57s, but in my opinion, it's the best looking of the tri-five Chevys. That it's never been done in 1/25th scale, nor correctly in 1/24th scale, either, should make it a good seller.

And, re: a new tool '55 Nomad, even though it's been done before, AMT's still decent selling '55 Nomad is in dire need of an update, as it has accuracy issues, and the drivetrain, chassis, wheels/tires, & interior are definitely examples of how kits used to be done (since the original release is now almost 50 yrs old!). I bet that if Revell did a new '55 Nomad, that AMT's kit would quietly fade away, as seems to be the case when Revell brought out their superior '32 & '40 Ford kits.

Revell's '55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop has never looked quite correct to me, as that they had obviously used some of the tooling from their diecast model; and, the separate pieces for the side chrome that fit into recesses in the body sides, especially, looks clunky to me. (but, they handled that 'feature' much more accurately on their '59 Impalas).

As for Revell doing a 150, 210, or Bel Air 2 door wagon, for any of the tri-five Chevy's, it would be terrific, but unlikely. . .

And, although I've never been a fan of any '57 Chevys (except the '57 Vette), Revell should consider doing an accurate '57 Nomad, as they're old tool '57s were simply awful, but still not quite as bad as Monogram's cartoon-like 1/24th scale '56 Bel Air hardtop!

Edited by buffalobill

• 1 month later...