Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Buzz: New Pocher Kits

sjordan2

There's some discussion at scalemotocars.com (large-scale site) that new Pocher kits will be announced on January 30 at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. This is reinforced by a Pocher presentation at the Hornby website (they own the Pocher brand). Will these be new kits or reissues? We'll find out.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/54497-pocher-re-launch-rumours.html

The teaser (no images or specifics) is a bit over halfway through the historical presentation...

http://www.pocher.com/

Edited by sjordan2

If it's on the official website it must be true!

Woo Hoo! :D

If this happens, I will be a very happy camper. Can't wait until January 30 to see what the news is. Hopefully an all-new kit, but even reissues of the old kits (at more reasonable prices than what they go for these days on ebay) would be welcome. Wow, this could be really big (no pun intended) for us Pocher builders. B)

Like "the Donald" might say... this is gonna be yoooge!

If it's on the official website it must be true!

Woo Hoo! :D

If this happens, I will be a very happy camper. Can't wait until January 30 to see what the news is. Hopefully an all-new kit, but even reissues of the old kits (at more reasonable prices than what they go for these days on ebay) would be welcome. Wow, this could be really big (no pun intended) for us Pocher builders. B)

Like "the Donald" might say... this is gonna be yoooge!

Are you waiting with baited breath? :P (in-joke)

My guess is we will see the F-40 and or the 911 since they probably are most intact. The classics would be even better of a rerelease but unlikely since a lot of the parts were subcontracted to ma and pa shops and I guess Hornby would be out for the biggest bang for their buck.

My guess is we will see the F-40 and or the 911 since they probably are most intact. The classics would be even better of a rerelease but unlikely since a lot of the parts were subcontracted to ma and pa shops and I guess Hornby would be out for the biggest bang for their buck.

Could be... but IMO any activity regarding Pocher is welcome! I never thought I'd see their return in my lifetime... now maybe it'll happen. Maybe I can finally get a Bugatti for less than a couple grand! (fingers crossed).

From a South African member at scalemotorcars.com

"Hi Skip,
I have been communicating with one of the Lemke folks. Lemke used to be the official distributor of Pocher in Germany for many years. He confirmed that they are working with Hornby to relaunch the Pocher brand in 2013. The will be a line of new models with new materials, though he would not reveal what these would be, nor did he say anything about rereleases of existing models. The launch or announcement is scheduled to happen in Feb at the Nurmberg Toy fair. I guess we dont have too long to wait."

From a South African member at scalemotorcars.com

"Hi Skip,

I have been communicating with one of the Lemke folks. Lemke used to be the official distributor of Pocher in Germany for many years. He confirmed that they are working with Hornby to relaunch the Pocher brand in 2013. The will be a line of new models with new materials, though he would not reveal what these would be, nor did he say anything about rereleases of existing models. The launch or announcement is scheduled to happen in Feb at the Nurmberg Toy fair. I guess we dont have too long to wait."

Ah, but no mention of scale. We're all assuming 1/8... but it might not be.

Only 4 of us are assuming Harry. There's not a big Pocher following on here...

Yeah, I know... but all of us who are into Pochers are assuming. I hope they intend to continue in 1/8.

Speaking of Pochers, I just finished another Alfa... I have to get some photos taken and post them, it turned out real nice.

I thought alot of the original Pocher molds were either lost or destroyed?

I've tried to get an accurate timeline of Pocher for a while, but internet information is hard to find. From what I've been able to piece together (a lot of it from Italian websites using translated pages that don't always make sense when translated), this is the story as far as I can figure it out:

1911: Arnaldo Pocher born. He studies godsmithing/engraving in school

1932: After graduation, Pocher moves to Turin to carry out his trade.

Late 1940s: comes into contact with model railroading, begins producing model railroad accessories as a supplier to a Turin hobby shop.

1951: Founds Pocher Micromeccanica in Turin, producing model railroad accessories, and later, locomotives and rolling stock.

1956: Ocean liner Andrea Doria sinks, carrying thousands of Pocher locomotives and rolling stock destined for the US market.

1956: Italian model railroad company Rivarossi is commissioned by Fiat to produce scale models of the Fiat 500 and 600. They are sold in fully assembled form as "disassembly models." and included instructions on how to take them APART!

1961: Fiat commissions Pocher to produce models of the new Fiat 1300, which was to be introduced at the Turin Auto Show in April 1961. The model is in 1/13 scale and features operating steering and an opening hood with engine detail.

1963: Rivarossi and Pocher combine their operations to produce both automobile kits and model railroad products.

1964: Pocher/Rivarossi continue to produce new Fiat 1/13 scale models to coincide with each new model introduced by Fiat.

1966: At the Milan International Toy Fair, Pocher introduces their first 1/8 scale automobile kit, the 1907 Fiat F2 Grand Prix race car. The model is also sold in preassembled form in a glass display case.

1968: Pocher introduces their first 1/8 scale Alfa Romeo kit, the Monza. Arnaldo Pocher leaves the company.

1970: Pocher introduces their third 1/8 scale kit (and the first Rolls Royce), the Sedanca Drophead coupe.

1972: Fire destroys the factory in Turin while Pocher was in the process of production of a new Fiat 132 model and a variant of the 1/8 Alfa Romeo; the Alfa tooling survives the fire. Management takes the destruction of the factory as the opportunity to drastically reduce the staff by outsourcing much of production. The number of employees is reduced to 30, compared to 120 before the fire.

1975: Pocher introduces their first 1/8 scale Mercedes kit, the 500 cabriolet.

1977: Pocher introduces the 1/8 scale Rolls Royce "Star of India" kit.

1980: Pocher introduces their first 1/8 scale Bugatti model kit.

1981: Pocher becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rivarossi, production moves to Como, Italy.

Late 1980s-early 1990s: Pocher introduces 1/8 scale kits in their "modern" series: Ferrari F50, Ferrari Testarossa, Porsche 911 and Volvo truck. The models are much less detailed than the "classic" series, they sell poorly. Cost of coming out with further new kits becomes too high, the company goes bankrupt.

1998: The last Pocher catalog is printed.

2004: The dormant Pocher name is taken over by Hornby, an English manufacturer of model trains and supplies, but they do not revive the Pocher brand name. Hornby currently owns what remains of Pocher.