Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

First off Welcome to Sixth annual Cannonball Run, after I had an open pole on the Forum, the theme with the most votes ended up being Unlimited.

2.jpg

"I'd like to welcome you all to an event that's sometimes been called the Automotive counterpart to the Bay of Pigs."

"You are certainly the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place"

"Of course you know certain skeptics note that perhaps 10,000 of the nation's most elite highway patrolmen are out there waiting for us after we start, but let's stay positively: Think of the fact that there's not one state in the 50 that has the death penalty for speeding... although I'm not so sure about Ohio."

Now before we get going we need to remember that your vehicle will have to follow a few guidelines.

Remember we are racing on City, County, and State Roads and Streets, so we need to be "Street Legal"

Below are some quick guidelines I came up with after referencing several State Guidelines and my Copy of the Highway Traffic Act.

Headlights.

Taillights.

Turn signals

License plates both front and rear. (If Applicable) (Depends on the State or Province you live in whether you have 2 or 1)

Seat-belts. (more of a recommendation in our application)

Windshield glass if applicable, or if no windshield, a helmet must be worn.

Permanently fixed fuel tank that is not fully exposed.

Tires that are approved by the DOT to be used on public roads (no racing slicks). (We may let this one slide)

Hood – you need one. Hood scoops or air intakes can’t be more than 10 inches higher than hood surface. (Some States & Provinces)

Again these are general guidelines to even it out a bit.

So lets get to the Start Date:

January 1st 2013

End Date:

December 1st 2013

Now the Rules Rules:

1.) First rule, as per Jantrix, this is all about having fun.

2.) You must show a picture of the kit, collection of parts, or re-builder that you are starting with. If it is possible try to post at least 1 update per month even if it just says "I haven't finished any work, but I'm still here..."

3.) On December 1, 2013 I will start a new thread in the "Under Glass" section for everyone to post their finished entry's, you must post their to be included in the voting.

I'm still not sure what we'll do about prizes yet, but I'll straiten that out and make an announcement in the CBP when we have made a decision.

4.) Multiple entries are allowed.

So guys Have Fun and we'll see you in Redondo Beach!

startline.jpg

Entries:

1.) Nick Winter- '57 Chevy Bel Air

2.) Jantrix- Hemi Daytona Spyder.

3.) zenrat- Toyota Land Cruiser 80

4.) W-409- '69 Ford Torino Talladega

5.) Janthile- 2006 Camaro

6.) Agent G- Chrysler 300M

7.)HNTR- Toyota Celica GT-Four

8.) Road Runner 79- '71 Duster 340

9.) diymirage- '69 Oldsmobile 4-4-2

10.) 64SS350- De Tomaso Pantera GTS, '96 Impala SS

11.)Lunnajammer- '73 Camaro

12.) sdangers- '78 Firebird Trans am

13.) maltsr- '65 Mustang

14.) ChevyCoupe41- '78 Chevy El Camino

15.)Erik Smith- 1966 Nova

16.) A.R.C.- 53 Ford F100

17.) AustinT- Porshe 911 Slantnose

18.) madhorseman- 1967 Mustang

19.) TimJ- Mercedes Benz SLS AMG

20.) SuperStockAndy- 2010 Camaro SS

21.) BKcustoms- '86 Monte Carlo

22.) Wrecker388- '78 Monaco

23.) otherunicorn- Dodge L-700 Tilt cab

24.) camarofreak82_427- '86 El Camino SS

25.) streetmachine11- Shelby Cobra 427

26.) Dragfreak- '71 Hemi 'Cuda

27.) hacked- Subaru Legacy

28.) hvymtl- '70 Monte Carlo SS454

29.) Mr. Bill- '70 Boss 429

30.) MLMDesign- '41 Plymouth.

31.) kongkustomz- '67 Coronet & 32 Ford 5 window highboy

32.) ModlerChris1987- Audi R8

33.) Bad Brad #2- '72 Cutlass

34.) wagonmaster- 69 Dodge Charger 500

35.) KurtisEBear- 93 Ranger

36.) JM485- ACR Viper

37.) TFchronos- 32 Ford Sedan & 67 Plymouth GTX

38.) 001slick001- 49 Ford

39.) Dominik- '66 Buick Wildcat, '99 Ford Lightning

40.) Jordan White- '85 Fiero

41.) kekefe- 66 shelby gt 350 r

42.) Slantasaurus- '77 Datsun Pickup.

43.) nhra1625- 53 Ford Flipnose.

44.) knarf- integrabee typeR

Edited by Nick Winter

I'm in. With a Hemi Daytona ..................... Spyder.

One note on your rules. We've had problems in the past with one or two participants who can and did crank out 6+ builds in the time frame. This is a bit of an advantage in a judged event, especially if your thinking about prizes.

You might want to limit it to two builds. Just a suggestion.

I'm happy to participate.

Edited by Jantrix

One note on your rules. We've had problems in the past with one or two participants who can and did crank out 6+ builds in the time frame. This is a bit of an advantage in a judged event, especially if your thinking about prizes.

You might want to limit it to two builds. Just a suggestion.

Rob I never thought of that, good call, I think I will limit it to 2 entries per participant. Having a guy with the experience of the past races is a great asset.

I added you to the list because you have an entry for sure, I actually chose something this afternoon while looking for something else.

I'll be using the AMT '57 Chevy Street Machine (the newer ERTL Tool, freakin' beautiful kit)

Nick

Edit:

When everyone else has decided on what they'll be building I'll add you to the list, it is easier this way.

Edited by Nick Winter

Yes, some people have cranked out a plethora of kits. But did they remember to roll up to the start line?

It seems to me that the earlier a build is finished the less likely it is to actually get posted on Dec 1st.

Anyway, count me in.

I'll be doing it in comfort in one of these.

128871-10941.jpg?nr=24122&company=tamiya

Obviously it'll need some modifications as, tempting as it may be, I think i'll do the run quicker on bitumen rather than taking the direct route.

I'm thinking lower, wide sports rubber, something with a bit more attitude under the bonnet (probably sticking with Toyota), lose the side steps & roof racks (although the bull bar might be useful) and give the co-driver/navigator a fully integrated touch screen navicomp set up.

I'll dig out the actual kits and take some pics after chrimbo.

Happy holidays.

I'd like to suggest that entrants regularly remind us what they're building when they post updates. I can't keep track weeks or months in what everyone's building when they show a specially modded suspension bit or a custom fitted do-dad and have to go ten pages back to see what it's for.

Uh well ok count me in (as i look over my shoulder to make sure no body sees me doing this

:D i have no clue as what to build so ..... "It's those dang fake cops!!!!!" (Gary Busey)

Oops wrong CBP :blink: ... After work tomorrow i will contemplate this most delicate of decisions...

Michael

so...if i remember this right we are entering into a ilegal street race across state lines ?

i think i will enter into this

not sure what i will build but it will be black and white

(nothing like running through speed traps in a cruizer right?)

one question though, why start a "under glass" post before we even start building ?

i would suggest moving the "under glass" post into 2013 ;)