Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

I'm trusting I won't be following any rickety nail trucks so I'm dropping the spare tire in favor of extra fuel. Tank made from scratch to fill the spot.

Just carry an air bubble and a fix-a-flat kit and you are good to go... but it may not matter :D

Edited by remingtonbox

Starting point. Still shrink wrapped. I've never seen the actual kit, just photos and its box.

P1010757s-vi.jpg

i will tell you doors will need bending and shaving around the upper door window frame. chassis has lots of detail but motor is something to be desired. my advice is to find a better motor for this kit

Hi guys

Some great stories here. I haven't actually started on my Mustang yet, but I have done some research -

In the early eighties I made my first trip to the US from my home in England, mainly to attend the US Nationals at Indy. We flew with PanAm, and you younger guys may not appreciate this, but there was no entertainment in the seat backs :o - you could only watch the movie they were showing on the screen in each compartment.

You guessed it, the movie on the outbound flight was Cannonball Run! I haven't seen it since those days so thought I had better watch it again on YouTube - great fun.

As a result, I intend to enter a second car, the McLaren MP4-12C:

m1mx3CPQDFPVzzgcKbhepoA.jpg

Hey

Found a little time to mess around a little with my TA, and found some of the parts to use for it.

Just as a little teaser i made a few mock up pictures

SAM_0092_zps40157363.jpg

SAM_0094_zps936f7200.jpg

SAM_0096_zps10e0f183.jpg

These mods should give the neccesary speed and handling.

Now i will work on the mods for the body to modernize it a bit.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Søren

i will tell you doors will need bending and shaving around the upper door window frame. chassis has lots of detail but motor is something to be desired. my advice is to find a better motor for this kit

Better motor? Of course! This is a Cannonball run after all! No point in entering a stocker!

its one of the few rims ive seen where they managed to update the rim to modern standards while maintaning the classic look

on a side note, i got my rims mounted aswell

this is the way the model sits mocked up, it might stil just a hair higher in the front once everything is in place but the jeste is there

1357357795.jpg

1357357880.jpg

1357357949.jpg

im thinking of building a DOH style push bar up front to complete the look

Edited by diymirage

That Celsior, is that basically like what they sold in North America as a Lexus, is it the RWD V8 32 Valve 4 Cam? If so I have one of these in my shop at work right now, interesting car to try and do a starter on.

Nick

Yes. Less cubes than a stock cruiser donk but more horses and i'll be adding a turbo.

well we got the elcamino out of blasting and it has a few problem spots but nothing that cant be fixed.

IMG_20130104_193221.jpg

its got a small crack in the bed but a little glue and puddy and sanding will take care of that

IMG_20130104_193230.jpg

and the cowls been repaired once so itll need attention. i also threw some better wheels under it to try to get a good stance not sure if this is the style ill go with yet or not

IMG_20130104_192932.jpg

IMG_20130104_192918.jpg

also this am i got the marker lights trim and door handels removed and smoothed out for a nice clean look.

ditch the rim Brandan

not only do they look like pooh-pooh, if you hit a railroad crossing at 90 MPH and catch a few feet of air those rubber bands will disentigrate upon impact

and you can forget about sneaking off the road and cutting through a cornfield to get past that 18 car pile up with those puppies

yeah pile ups happen espcially after vehicles explode LOL.

And while we are here i would like to toss my hat in the ring of scofflaws and my project is ........

post-1780-0-18897800-1357440080_thumb.jp

a 1970 Monte Carlo 454SS and this tiime it will get done might have to hire away some of Nick's guys from his shop (Nice Dio by the way )

Michael

Finally made a start on the Mustang before I return to work tomorrow :(. Better late than never!

Removed the battery etc molded to the inner wing to make some room for the supercharger, and detached the gearbox crossmember which will have to be moved towards the rear.

001-19_zpsc47509d2.jpg

002-20_zpsa938d0c5.jpg

yeah pile ups happen espcially after vehicles explode LOL.

And while we are here i would like to toss my hat in the ring of scofflaws and my project is ........

a 1970 Monte Carlo 454SS and this tiime it will get done might have to hire away some of Nick's guys from his shop (Nice Dio by the way )

Michael

My guys aren't cheap to hire, just ask the guy who signs the paychecks.................................luckily the dollars are in 25th scale.

Thanks Michael, it too is a work in progress (Like most things I own.)

Nick

Okay here's start of my El Camino.

ENGINE:

Engine starting point changed since i found better one from my parts box. It's still a big block Chevy but transmission is 4 speed. That Lenco would have been too hard to use in street. Engine is now at that point that i must have to start put plug wires and that kind of stuff on it.

IMG_1968.jpg?t=1357498020

WHEELS & TIRES:

Wheels and tires are also from my parts box. They were good shape but spokes needed some paint. I painted them with Tamiya gun metal.

IMG_1969.jpg?t=1357498279

CHASSIS:

Since I removed that original molded exhaust pipe i filled that hole and put some bondo on it. It still need litte more bondo but not much.

IMG_1970.jpg?t=1357498500

COOLING SYSTEM:

Original radiator was missing but I found from my parts box that radiator and it fits really good. This kind of long race gets engines over heating so I put twin electric fans to it. Those are from AMT '95 Corvette but after some cutting they fits very good.

IMG_1976.jpg?t=1357499071

INTERIOR:

I made holes to the dash board for extra gauges and im happy to the result. Those are not in the greatest place for driver but Co-driver can follow them.

IMG_1973.jpg?t=1357499529

BODY:

It needed some bondo but not much and it's almost on that condition that I can put some primer on it.

IMG_1971.jpg?t=1357499667

More coming soon so stay tuned. ;)

This is what i was planning on building ,if it's ok ? This is all I've got of the kit , got in a box of parts.

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg73 Duster 50 Bucks !!!!!

Well I was planning on building this but I don't think I will have the time this year. I also saw someone else is building something like it !

I have so many other projects that need to finish ,I think I'll still build a Duster (Amt 71 Duster) that is a complete kit and not as much work!

And I will be a bit more practical for a cross country race.

I hope to post some picture soon and get started :)

I have started to testfit the engine and surrounding bits and pices under the hood :)

building the headers, not too much space her..

post-10605-0-03994800-1357547175_thumb.j

and then most of the parts installed. Need to put in the intakepipe and filters. Radiator is going into the back of the car.

post-10605-0-98901600-1357547145_thumb.j