Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

I'm ready to roll.

Landcruiser80Series003_zps8c49de73.jpg

Landcruiser80Series006_zps8a7b4cda.jpg

That's an 80 series Landcruiser fitted with a 1UZ-FE engine (Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400) bored out to 4.3 litres and boosted to 500hp with a Javelin Engineering Turbo & intercooler kit.

My thinking behind this year's build was speed, comfort, range, ability to take avoiding action and not getting stopped.

Not getting stopped being the most important because once you're pulled over chances are you're out of the car and into the cuffs.

Hence the paint job. When the cops work out what's going on and block the route and wave the rest of you lot down they'll take one look at the CDC signwork, the biohazard warning signs, the fridge and the occupants biological protection suits and just wave us through. Would you want to get too near this thing and risk contamination (not to mention blindness from the paint job)?

The fridge is a standard mobile laboratory grade secure transport unit. If you were brave enough to open it you'd find the expected sample racking containing some fragile looking test tubes. But release the hidden catch, swing out the racks and you'll find chocolate, sandwiches and iced coffee sitting above the top of a 100 litre auxiliary fuel tank.

It's a Tamiya Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series with sport option kit with the engine from a Tamiya Toyota Celsior mated ot the stock transmission. Because the "with sport option" kit comes with a lift and big tyres I dropped it back down to the stock ride height and used the wheels & tyres from an Aoshima Mitsubishi Delica. I'm pleased to say the steering still steers and the suspension still works like Tamiya meant it to.

Turbo is from www.ThePartsBox.com. Intercooler is a radiator from my parts box. Fridge, both iPhones and the iPad are all scratchbuilt. Lightbar is from a Lindberg Dodge Charger Police Car and is rather lacking in detail.

Paint is a champagne mixed from dregs of various rattle cans. Stripes are nail polish and Tamiya enamel. Clear is automotive acrylic. Decals are home made apart from the roof numbers which are from the afore mentioned Lindberg cop car.

I'm ready to roll.

Landcruiser80Series003_zps8c49de73.jpg

Landcruiser80Series006_zps8a7b4cda.jpg

That's an 80 series Landcruiser fitted with a 1UZ-FE engine (Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400) bored out to 4.3 litres and boosted to 500hp with a Javelin Engineering Turbo & intercooler kit.

My thinking behind this year's build was speed, comfort, range, ability to take avoiding action and not getting stopped.

Not getting stopped being the most important because once you're pulled over chances are you're out of the car and into the cuffs.

Hence the paint job. When the cops work out what's going on and block the route and wave the rest of you lot down they'll take one look at the CDC signwork, the biohazard warning signs, the fridge and the occupants biological protection suits and just wave us through. Would you want to get too near this thing and risk contamination (not to mention blindness from the paint job)?

The fridge is a standard mobile laboratory grade secure transport unit. If you were brave enough to open it you'd find the expected sample racking containing some fragile looking test tubes. But release the hidden catch, swing out the racks and you'll find chocolate, sandwiches and iced coffee sitting above the top of a 100 litre auxiliary fuel tank.

It's a Tamiya Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series with sport option kit with the engine from a Tamiya Toyota Celsior mated ot the stock transmission. Because the "with sport option" kit comes with a lift and big tyres I dropped it back down to the stock ride height and used the wheels & tyres from an Aoshima Mitsubishi Delica. I'm pleased to say the steering still steers and the suspension still works like Tamiya meant it to.

Turbo is from www.ThePartsBox.com. Intercooler is a radiator from my parts box. Fridge, both iPhones and the iPad are all scratchbuilt. Lightbar is from a Lindberg Dodge Charger Police Car and is rather lacking in detail.

Paint is a champagne mixed from dregs of various rattle cans. Stripes are nail polish and Tamiya enamel. Clear is automotive acrylic. Decals are home made apart from the roof numbers which are from the afore mentioned Lindberg cop car.

Very Cool !!!!!

Awesome Camaro Jan!

Fred, that landcruiser is just plain wild!

As for me and the hot rod, it's really close, all I really have left is to spray the body and final assembly. With it being cold around here and the threat of ice and stuff until the deadline today is likely the only chance I will have. So we'll see, pics of the GTX will be up later today as well, I hope.

Edited by TFchronos

Here is one of my two entries a 67 GTX. It's been rebuilt with the only thing being original is the body itself. The rest is either from a Viper or scratch built. It features viper engine and suspension, a little nos should it be needed and a custom fuel cell in the trunk for longer range.

DSC03938_zpsbd6292eb.jpg

DSC03942_zpsdcccb5fb.jpg

DSC03948_zps8d80ae66.jpg

DSC03945_zps97178d77.jpg

Man i am so screwed ........ LMAO

there is still time who knew the drying properties of radar absorbing paint takes forever LOL.... Hopefully the engine and trans get her from the shop and all i need are some seats and a few electronics . hmmm maybe a day off work too

Michael

I see my under glass thread got moved into the Trucks section. Nice to see the rules being applied fairly and that the funny cars, dragsters and NASCARs being moved into other threads as well.

Oh, wait they're not...

:P

So, to anyone wishing they had more time, you've lucked in, I've had a family problem arise and I have to head up north on Saturday and I'm unsure of when I'll be back on Sunday, so.............I won't be posting the Underglass with pole until

MONDAY DECEMBER 2ND 2013

Sorry folks, everything else will go as previously planned!

Thank you, and see you at the Finish Line.

Nick