Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Heres a little incentive for HNTR. I like the idea of the Lincoln. You may not do too well in the corners but you`ll have no problems passing anything on the straights.........

http://www.dragzine.com/news/larry-larsons-six-second-street-car-driving-to-competing-in-nhra/

attachicon.gifIMG_081511.jpg

Thanks for the incentive, but my Lincoln was a newer year.

466404730_tp_zpsd8d0d3ad.jpg

:rolleyes:

im getting so far ahead of myself here ( i mean, i will be gettting so far ahead, once i start) i am seriously considering finishing up the 4-4-2 the way i intended and entering the corvette drivetrain under a buick as a seperate entry

(dont write that up just yet Nick)

Hmm, what to build. I have ran a few ideas through my head for the past few days and it comes down to this.

I need something fast, not so much fast in the speed sense, something fast at refueling and repairs, something that is computer controlled and small problems can be fixed by an OBDII scanner. I plan on converting my entry over to diesel for the excellent wear characteristics, the excellent economy and the size of the nozzle.

The style and class of the vehicle is also something to be concerned with, leave the fancy Lambos, Ferraris and Bugattis for the Gumball 3000 rally, I need something that will slip under the radar in nearly all of the states, a pickup will do that.

Also, in 2013, something newer is going to be a lot more incognito then say a ’35 Ford Roadster, historically, the outcasts/hot rodders/loud colored cars are the first ones to be pulled over because they “may be doing something.” Judging by the entries already, getting pulled over and potentially getting stuffed in jail is going to take too long and I won’t win. I plan on taking something that is around my area all the time, it is a pickup, it is newer and it will be custom.

As far as fuel economy goes, its either have the economy or have the space for fuel, if my vehicle gets 20 mpg but only has a 10 gallon tank, I can go 200 miles between fill-ups, that’s over 30 fill-ups at 10 minutes apiece – or 300 minutes all together. If I have a 21 gallon tank and a 50 gallon reserve tank in the bed, that is 71 gallons, if I get 13 mpg, that is 923 miles per tank, that means I only have to fill up less than 5 times, it may take longer to fuel up but nowhere near the 300 minutes. I plan on having fillers on both sides of the truck so both the co-driver and the driver can fill at the same time.

In 2013, we have tons and tons of technology to help us along, GPS, UAVs, etc. A successful Cannonball Run vehicle needs to know where the cops are, what they are doing, and what they are driving. Also, you need to know traffic conditions, weather conditions and any other type of delay. I plan on having a deployable UAV in the bed, secondary/emergency transportation, wireless internet and a GPS and CB in the cab to alert me to changing conditions as soon as they happen.

As far as suspension, I need something that can go both on the interstate and the roughest of backroads, after all, what good is the interstate with 10 inches of ice or if it is stopped up for 40 miles with a 10 car pileup? All you people with low cars are SCREWED. I am going to have a custom long travel suspension that can handle nearly anything I can throw at it.

But… what good is all this fancy stuff without backup or spare parts? That is where my bed comes in, I will have toolboxes, spare tires and wheels, dig out supplies, spare parts and food.

So what am I going to enter with?

I can’t tell you yet, it hasn’t gotten here from eBay. ;)

Edited by remingtonbox

This is my approach... The actual transcontinental record, is 31-hours, 7-minutes set in 2006 by Alex Roy using all the trickery available. Here is a very fun read. Carrying fuel is an advantage but I'm willing to risk (knock on wood) that my tires will be fine for 3,000 miles and, say, 33 hours.

My real experience has shown that when the highways make large, swooping, indirect loops through the mountains, it is NOT faster taking the logging roads that appear to cut through the middle.

This is my approach... The actual transcontinental record, is 31-hours, 7-minutes set in 2006 by Alex Roy using all the trickery available. Here is a very fun read. Carrying fuel is an advantage but I'm willing to risk (knock on wood) that my tires will be fine for 3,000 miles and, say, 33 hours.

My real experience has shown that when the highways make large, swooping, indirect loops through the mountains, it is NOT faster taking the logging roads that appear to cut through the middle.

Did Alex run the M5 with all the decals (including Polizie)? Or was that for promotion after the run? Some great shots of the car interior on the web, too.

... the better build has won, not the best designed Cannonballer. If that was the case, I would have won every time. :D

Bull. My 'vette suspended, blown big blocked Chevy van with 4 50 gallon drums of fuel in the back would have urinated all over you if it hadn't gone up in flames just outside New York city limits...

:)

I think I am going to go with the new revell viper if it is an acceptable entry. I do not have the kit yet but I wanted to let everyone know what I am planning. Just out of curiosity, is it against the rules for two people to build the same car?

Bull. My 'vette suspended, blown big blocked Chevy van with 4 50 gallon drums of fuel in the back would have urinated all over you if it hadn't gone up in flames just outside New York city limits...

:)

:lol::lol: It was a gruesome sight. Our intrepid reporter, Harry Gearhead, said the explosion shattered windows for a three mile radius.

But the resulting fireball was a sight to behold.

Just to clear something up.

The only real "rule" to this build is that it has to appear street legal.

That's it.

If you want to put lights & fenders on a top fuel dragster then that is fine.

We all know that IRL it would fall over at the first sharp turn and run out of gas (OK, fuel) before it go to the end of the street but this isn't real life so it doesn't matter.

I like to think through my designs and pontificate about why i've done something the way I did and why it means i'll perform better. However this is not necessary and i'll never directly point out what I perceive as flaws in someone else's design (except for Jantrix's B) ). I would though like you to point out problems with my thinking so I can make up lies and reasons why you are going to be looking at my tail-lights disappearing into the sunset and not vice versa.

For example, I am starting with an 80 series Landcruiser. These tip the scales at 2 Ton so I am at an immediate power to weight disadvantage.

What you can't tell from looking at it though is that mine will be rebodied with an identical to stock body made from vacuum foamed carbon buckyball resin (produced in the Javelin Engineering orbital manufactory - Javlab) which is so light it actually generates 1,120 lb of lift.

The boys at Javlab are also looking at retrofitting a Wayne Industries gas turbine into the cruiser to replace the standard turbo diesel (although at this moment a blueprinted, bored, stroked and boosted Toyota OHC V8 is still favourite).

One thing I can confirm though is that this year my celebrity co-driver/navigator will be Kari Byron and my support crew Adam, Jamie, Grant & Tori.

Here's an inspirational pic

toyota-land-cruiser-prado-wald-sports-li

Edited by zenrat