Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgic Dragster - What type of rearend

carl6466

I have some pictures I took a bunch of years ago of a roadster dragster. I think the body is a 27 Ford. Flathead engine. Moon tank. Old Firestone slicks. It has a funny car style rollbar and a tube chassis. I did not take any pictures of the rear end. Would a four link be correct for this type of dragster? Would some type of ladder bar be more appropriate? Quick change or Ford nine inch?

TIA

It all depends on what era of model you are building. The cars back in the mid 60's use Chysler 8 3/4's. (especially popular in the dragsters till the 9" fords came out) Quick changes were popular in the later era street roadsters and such I believe. 9" fords have been used in everything since the late 60's. Ladder bars are a popular 70's era thing I think.

Paul

Thank you very much. I am guessing 60's. What type of suspension with the Chrysler 8 3/4'? Would you happen to know a kit or resin Chrysler 8 3/4?

Thanks again.

I agree with micronitro. The Ford banjo worked pretty well. George Montgomery used one in his famous willys until he put the Cammer engine in it. He ran a blown Caddy engine and a blown Small block for many years through that rearend. Also popular then were big olds rearends like in the Anglia/Thames kit from Revell.

If early to mid sixties is what you are trying to replicate, go with a Chrys. 8 3/4 or one of those Olds style diffs. from the Revell, Anglia. The quick change from the Revell, Austin Gasser would also be fine. The way that you describe the chassis indicates that this car may be more dragster than roadster. If so, don't use any rear suspension or traction devices. The diff. housing would have been most likely been bolted directly to the frame rails.

If you could post a pic of a similar car, I might be of more help.

WF

If early to mid sixties is what you are trying to replicate, go with a Chrys. 8 3/4 or one of those Olds style diffs. from the Revell, Anglia. The quick change from the Revell, Austin Gasser would also be fine. The way that you describe the chassis indicates that this car may be more dragster than roadster. If so, don't use any rear suspension or traction devices. The diff. housing would have been most likely been bolted directly to the frame rails.

If you could post a pic of a similar car, I might be of more help.

WF

Now that I want to scan the pictures, I can only find 1 of the 3 I had. Here it is:

_0001-vi.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

Now that I want to scan the pictures, I can only find 1 of the 3 I had. Here it is:

_0001-vi.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

What you have there is an Altered class car. Like Maliburacer suggested, go with a solid mounted Olds rear. The diff. and chassis from the Bantam Blast would be a good starting point for a car like this. A quick change could also be used as they are somewhat common in kit form.

Walter Frey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also agree with the '57-'64 Olds or Pontiac rear. I'm not sure if the housing would be solidly mounted on a chassis like that. The tube chassis builds were a little more sophisticated by that time. Or if in doubt, WWWBD (What would Willie Borsch do)?

Bob