Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Custom (Finished, see it in Under Glass forum 3-7-13)

rmvw guy

you did the trim with that pen? beautiful! that looks really good!

Yes I did, picked it up at Hobby Lobby in the art supply section, It goes on easy and cleans off easy also with either Gojo hand cleaner or auto polish. When I get it just right I put clear over it to seal it. I'm not good with Bare Metal Foil so far. Thanks for the compliment. Here's a look at the Hudson I did with the pen.DSC03559_zps3b8781ae.jpg

great idea , the only downside is that it seems to go gray when clear coated , i have silver paint i use that for all my chrome , cant clear that either then it turns grey ...without clear its more chrome like

but def looks very very good with that pen

At least it doesn't peel off or wrinkle. :lol: I agree, it is a little too gray. Without clear it rubs off too easy. Thanks for the compliment anyway.

Progress pictures, not really much going on. I did decide to go ahead and paint the valve covers black so they would look right. Also got the seats painted and decal-ed. A lot of the other small parts got painted. My 18 month old Grandson came over to spend the day and night so, plans for the weekend changed on this project. Hope to have it "Under Glass" soon. Thanks for looking.DSC04279_zpsfe44d6c4.jpgDSC04277_zps916adb77.jpg

That looks really nice, I'm looking forward to more pics.

Thanks Joey, here you go. This kit has been a real pleasure so far. The biggest challenge has been the two tone paint and backing up to paint the valve covers black after they were already glued to the engine and painted ford red. At least until now.... assembled the chassis and wheels like clock work. Then I discovered one wheel in the air, oh no, here we go. :unsure: Anyway thanks for looking and here are the pictures. DSC04293_zps13d0e09f.jpgDSC04294_zpsb4050db1.jpgDSC04295_zps83fb82a4.jpgDSC04296_zpsb9f64de9.jpg

I keep losing half of my post!!! If I can remember what I just said. The left rear wheel is obliviously lower then the right. So the only thing I can figure is I got the glue thicker on one side where the rear end mounts to the springs. The springs went in the pin holes perfect. Oh well, anyway I had to walk away for a while. Now I feel like I need some white gloves to keep from winding up with another weathered rust project. Here's another picture of the dash with decals applied. This has a really nice decal sheet. Thanks again for looking.DSC04297_zps80f87d3b.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Alright! Problem solved, If you build this you might want to compare your rear springs side by side. I found that the one spring was not grooved out as much where the rear end meets it. After grooving the problem one out with the hobby knife, I used a small metric rule to measure both sides until they were exactly the same. Then glued all the parts together and clamped them with alligator clips, measuring again. Perfect!!!! Now I can go forward, what a relief. :) DSC04298_zpsa67144d0.jpgDSC04299_zps2db0de87.jpg

I am going to try Bare Metal Foil one more time after making these observations. The '57 Chevy has it just on the horizontal pieces. I have some on order from LHS should be here by the end of the week. The nice thing is, it should go right over the silver paint. If it gets scratched there is silver under it. After reading about the woos others have had with this stuff on another thread, I feel like I'm up for one more challenge. I just hope it doesn't have any wrinkles, you can't tell any more when you buy it the way they package it in a white envelope. Wish me luck, I will post pictures one way or the other, good or bad.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this engine but, after struggling with the distributor for a while, the kit directions aren't very clear on this, I found an image of a real engine. The distributor actually fits in at an angle not straight up and down. Just thought I would share this with anyone interested. Don't ask me about the firing order. :lol:DSC04305_zps208799fa.jpg57_Ford-Fairlane-500SC_DV-11-RMSJ-e05_zpDSC04304_zps360810cc.jpg

Again I lost half of my post, will try again. These nice slicks and over size rims come in the kit. I will probably use them on my next build of this kit, a stock car racer.DSC04314_zps1486e878.jpg I get the feeling no one is watching this build any more. Please leave comments good or bad. Is this too boring to you guys? As always, thanks for looking.

Ummm, I hate to do this to you, and sorry I missed it earlier in the build, but the two-tone color break is the lip formed by the trunk lid, it should include the panel under the trunk with the license plate recess.

Hey, you said good or bad! :)

Hey Thanks Brett! So some one is looking, thanks. I always,appreciate all the help I can get. This is my first solo on workbench, so may not be going about this the right way. Anyway glad to hear from you. :)

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure about the distributor but couldn't get any more tilt without adding another pin to the bottom, so I just left it alone. Those old vacuum wipers were cool, I had those on my '55 Chevy and used to tell my wife they were intermittent wipers because, when you accelerated they would stop and when you let up on the gas they went real fast from the vacuum. They were fed from the carburetor on the Chevy.

The Bare Metal Foil still did not come in at the local hobby shop so, still waiting on that. I did pick up a silver sharpie to fix the tail lights up and still looking for more images on the two-tone paint. Could have sworn I saw an image painted like mine. It won't take too much to correct it anyway I guess. I want to get this one finished. I just picked up the new issue of Stacy David's Rat Roaster and now I'm getting excited about that with all kinds of ideas going through my head. I need another one right now with about 12 projects on the bench still from last year. Please, please leave comments to encourage me to finish this one, thanks.ctrp_0711_02_zfireball_grand_nationalext Here's one image I was looking for of the two-tone. Mine is wrong according to this image.

Edited by rmvw guy

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure about the distributor but couldn't get any more tilt without adding another pin to the bottom, so I just left it alone. Those old vacuum wipers were cool, I had those on my '55 Chevy and used to tell my wife they were intermittent wipers because, when you accelerated they would stop and when you let up on the gas they went real fast from the vacuum. They were fed from the carburetor on the Chevy.

when I had my Vicky, I learned that there was a Bendix electric wiper motor that was a direct bolt on, I thought I had heard it was from a Chevy application but didn't care because it worked and was an easy upgrade to a poorly designed wiper drive system. They should have added a vacuum reservoir to the wiper system.

The y-block that replaced the busted 6 in my vicky didn't have the "top hat" carb either, my genius mechanic father adapted a 70's vintage carter 2bbl to the small bore 4bbl manifold that came with the motor.

one of these days I'm gonna finish the replica of my first car, a factory black (enamel way back then) 4dr hdtp.

Edited by blunc

"one of these days I'm gonna finish the replica of my first car, a factory black (enamel way back then) 4dr hdtp." Thanks Mike. I did that last year and I think it was the most fun I've ever had building a model, it was a '55 Chevy I had in 1966 when I turned 16. I spent the summer "fixing it up". Okay, and here is another chance to show it off. If anyone else wants to post pictures here feel free, as long as it's not too far off the subject. I would love to see more '57 Fords. Thanks for looking. And here she is, my first car:DSC04200.jpg