Model Cars Magazine Forum

New camera for christmas......see?

My son got me a new Olympus SP-720UZ camera for Christmas. It's a 14 megapixel job with one feature I really wanted that I never had before in a digital camera...a Super Macro mode! Man this thing can shoot close! The lens was just over an inch away from this valve cover.... I think I could have gotten even closer. And I didn't even see that little hair on it. This will be a big help finding flaws! :P;)

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

Here's the camera....

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

I have to agree, that's an impressive macro.

The 35-70 macro on my FD/AE-1 is all I have, I've toyed with getting one for my K1000 or SF-10, dpending on what I can scare up. I'd like a little longer focal length, as I found for model close-ups, the one I have is still a bit too short.

Charlie Larkin

Heh, I got a new Camera too, but the Macro is not as good as it was in my beformer camera. But otherwise it takes 100 times better pictures, and there's working zoom and camera can be closed properly (Those were wrong with the old one). Needs to try not to drop it on floor. :rolleyes:

Your picture looks very good and sharp, it really helps finding mistakes, but actually it's hard to find mistakes from your builds. Does that Camera have a video-recording mode? That's something I think is a Must Have, because then I can film all Burnouts on local Cruisings (Yes, in Finland) without carrying a big video camera with me. :lol:

Edited by W-409

You'll love it. That's essentially the one I use, only mine is about four years old and only 8mpx. But the lens is everything! I'd like a lower f-stop to keep things in focus in lower light and mine's not good with action shooting but I'm sure yours has addressed those things by now.

I purchased my wife a camera for Christmas but I've been using it as well. Its a Nikon 1 J1 and sure blows my previous Sony Cybershot out of the water. So far I have gotten some really good closeup shots with it but I haven't tried getting super close yet.

Pretty cool. I keep telling myself to get a new camera. I'm used to Kodak and their EasyShare. How do you download pic from the camera to the computer?

You should be able to use a USB cable. Do you have one for your camera? Or you may need an adapter to attach your memory card to your computer. Once plugged in, you should see a camera icon on your desktop - just click to open.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/readers/

Edited by sjordan2

Yes - I use a USB cable between the Kodak camera and the Kodak software. I only know about the Kodak products and it lets me print, crop, and so forth. How do you do all that with something other than Kodak?

Same way. Camera brand doesn't matter as long as you can open the files. I have a Samsung and didn't have to load any software. Just plug n' play. I'm on Mac with an HP printer, and both offer built-in photo editing.

Edited by sjordan2

Heh, I got a new Camera too, but the Macro is not as good as it was in my beformer camera. But otherwise it takes 100 times better pictures, and there's working zoom and camera can be closed properly (Those were wrong with the old one). Needs to try not to drop it on floor. :rolleyes:

Your picture looks very good and sharp, it really helps finding mistakes, but actually it's hard to find mistakes from your builds. Does that Camera have a video-recording mode? That's something I think is a Must Have, because then I can film all Burnouts on local Cruisings (Yes, in Finland) without carrying a big video camera with me. :lol:

Yes. It does record videos too!

Pretty cool. I keep telling myself to get a new camera. I'm used to Kodak and their EasyShare. How do you download pic from the camera to the computer?

This camera can use the USB cord but my computer has the small slot for the card. The camera came with a 4 gig card and I much prefer to stick the card into the computer vs using the cord. Much faster! I use Irfanview for all my photo needs.

Some Cameras come with a CD to install software, but Any with a USB cable

will Plug N Play.

Just plug the cable into the camera & PC then Turn the camera ON it will activate

on the PC just like a Thumbdrive!!

I then Move the pic's I want into the correct folder "My Pictures", My Models, etc

Rename them to get rid of the DCS1234 type name and they are ready to post to Photobucket or email

I prefer this method as Not all Cards are readable by all readers.

Some Brands of camers have Different cards for different Models of Camera!!!

That video looks good! Have you tried it on a TV yet to see how it looks on the full size screen? I haven't done that with mine yet... I still have that little video camera I got a couple of years ago...the "Flip Video"...and I was surprised at how good the video appeared on our big screen TV! Sure hope this new one looks good as well...then I won't have to have two cameras with me when I go to a model show... Just bring a couple of cards!

Edited by Terry Sumner

That video looks good! Have you tried it on a TV yet to see how it looks on the full size screen? I haven't done that with mine yet... I still have that little video camera I got a couple of years ago...the "Flip Video"...and I was surprised at how good the video appeared on our big screen TV! Sure hope this new one looks good as well...then I won't have to have two cameras with me when I go to a model show... Just bring a couple of cards!

Not yet, I am waiting for the mini HDMI cable to get here so I can, I am looking forward to seeing how it looks on the TV, now if I could just get the pic part down :lol:

Terry, here is something to look into getting, I bought a AC adapter for my camera, now I can plug into an outlet and not have to use batterys when I am at home taking pics

Edited by martinfan5

Not yet, I am waiting for the mini HDMI cable to get here so I can, I am looking forward to seeing how it looks on the TV, now if I could just get the pic part down :lol:

Terry, here is something to look into getting, I bought a AC adapter for my camera, now I can plug into an outlet and not have to use batterys when I am at home taking pics

This camera has an AC adapter...it's what charges the removable battery. It doesn't use AA batteries...if that's what you meant...