Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Buick Century sedan..... modified from Maisto police car

traditional

Ok, I realize that these 1955 Buicks are 1/26 scale and some of you may not handle that too well, but since I tend to collect and build in all scales, I enjoyed modifying and painting a civilian version from a $10 Maisto police car (a quick and relatively simple project). I also painted the wheels of the police car black ( instead of the chrome versions as modeled by Maisto).
These models will never be confused with super detailed models or 'precision diecast', but to me they're quite reasonably proportioned and interesting enough to include in my collection.

On the civilian Buick, various holes were filled and the paint is automotive basecoat/clearcoat with foil and fine wire trim and tiny paint details picked out with Humbrol and Tamiya .

I hope some of you may enjoy seeing both these diecasts.

PC260603.jpg

PC260609.jpg

PC260610.jpg

PC260608.jpg

Great colors on the blue and white one. The Police car looks much nicer with the rims painted black.

Although we appreciate telling us what scale they are, it does not matter here. All scales are welcome!

I have from 1/256 to 1/6 scale :)

AzTom

• 3 years later...

Excellent job. I am currently working on 1:26 1955 Buick Century. It was my father's 1st car. I am looking for colors; majestic blue, Dover white, and another white that is slightly darker. I need help in finding the correct paints. Your work is exactly what I'm shooting for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Walt

Very nice. There are a lot of really interesting subjects in relatively inexpensive die-cast that make great starting points for fine models.

I've been working on and off on a 1/25 '55 Oldsmobile convertible, based on an odd scale Welly die-cast. Copying the panels in fiberglass and stretching them on to a modified '55 Chevy frame is a time consuming task, but it's a whole lot easier than starting from scratch.

• 3 months later...

traditional, your improved models look really good. The wheels on the highway patrol version are supposed to be black.

One thing to consider when making civilian versions of this die-cast is that body was only available to, as far as I know, the California Highway Patrol. It is a Special 2-door sedan body with a Century engine and front clip.

traditional, your improved models look really good. The wheels on the highway patrol version are supposed to be black.

One thing to consider when making civilian versions of this die-cast is that body was only available to, as far as I know, the California Highway Patrol. It is a Special 2-door sedan body with a Century engine and front clip.

I agree, beautiful job on the civilian conversion, and also detailing the police version. Ā I also have a couple of these that I have similar plans for.

Chepp is correct regarding the 2-door sedan Century body style. Ā As far as I can tell the main visual differences between the Century and Ā Special 2-door sedans were 4 portholes vs. 3 on the front fenders, and the badges on the quarter panels. Ā Just eyeballing Google images, it looks like the porthole spacing for both models is the same, the Century just has one additional above each front wheel well.

I think filing off the front porthole on each of the fenders would result in the correct Special appearance. Ā That's my eventual plan for at least one of mine, along with creating the door trim like you did.

As far as I can tell, I don't think there was a wheelbase difference between the 2 models, not positive though. Ā If that's the case, it would be easy enough to bolt a set of Century fenders onto a Special sedan in 1:1, so in my book your blue/white version is easily possible in full scale. Ā (Or just consider that the CHP versions would have been repainted after they were auctioned off for civilian use.)

Edited by Robberbaron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Of course, bear in mind that for 1955, when Buick reintroduced the Century, it was available to civilians in just three body styles: Ā Convertible, Hardtop, and a Station Wagon. Ā However, the California Highway Patrol ordered 201 Special 2dr sedans, with the Century's engine, and trimmed out as a Century--none were sold to the general public when new, and I believe just one of of the CHP sedans exists today. Ā  But, it sure does make for a neat conversion, just the same!

Art

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...