Model Cars Magazine Forum

Final build for 2012 - MPC 1971 Duster 340

gtx6970

I bought this as a builtup roughly 15 years ago from a friend of mine ( long before the AMT version came out ) And it's sat in the box collecting dust ever since,,,, till now.

I stumbled onto it a few weeks back while looking for something else. So I decided to do something with it .

So I dug it out to make an assesment, and decided to leave the painted body and chassis as is . It's not super shiney but it looks pretty decent considering the life it's led. Original 1971 bumpers and grille were replated when I received it . Interior is box stock with exception of resin replacement ft seats from Missing link to replicate the originals. Chassis is the same,, box stock and painted flat black. The underhood area and the hood I decided to leave just the way I got it back then.Interior is simply painted with Testors white primer and rubbed out slightly with a kleenix.

I didn't get an original MPC engine with it,, so I robbed the one from the current AMT car, added a pre-wired dist from MAD.

I polished up the paint as best I could , I used the side stripe side decals from the AMT kit.( hood 340 wedge decal is the original.) Overall I think it turned out pretty good considering it's been languishing in a box with 2 other duster builtup kits for over 15 years.

Brings my total builds for 2012 to a grand total of 5, not bad considering I didn't get just one built the previous 10 years combined.

Comments good and bad always welcome.

mpc71DusterA.JPG

mpc71DusterB.JPG

mpc71DusterC.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks all for the nice comments. When I dug it out of the box, my intenetion was to strip it down to paint it Plum Crazy Purple to match my brothers 1/1 car. ( also a V/8 3spd stick car btw )

But the paint was just good enough I decided to leave it as is , and just finish it the way someone else had intended so long ago. The more I look at it the more I think I want to add underhood heater hoses to help the engine bay . But otherwise it's done.

It now sits on the shelf along side my sassy grass green 1971 Duster promotional.

Nice build!! I love Mopars.I have been out of the loop for awhile now,from what people are saying is MPC no longer in business? I had forgotten all about them until now. If so what are the diffrences between the MPC Duster and the ones being producued now from other companies,why is the MPC version preffered more?

Edit:Nevermind,I just saw the packaging from the original release and it looks crazy,lol. I see why it's more favored .

Edited by dantewallace

If your after detail the new AMT kit is the way to go. Especially for chassis and under hood details are just so much better on the new kit

Body wise I think they are very similar.

This was started long ago and the previous owner gave up on it, and sold it to me a LOOOOOONG time before the current AMT kit came out.

I originally bought it to build my brothers 1/1 car . But it got stuck in a box and forgot about till maybe a month ago . I'll probably still give it to him even though it's the wrong color . Then build his actual car from the AMT kit