Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys.
I guess it is hard to see in the photos, but the spare is secured to the floor of the trunk. (I too learned that lesson in my Z/28) There is even a metal reinforcement plate on the outside of the bottom of the trunk floor for the threaded rod to anchor to."

Brilliant! I'm glad I asked, even more impressed now!

-Don.

Edited by DonW

Once I had the wheels and body panels on, specifically the nose, I measured for the chin spoiler and started making it. I put a layer of tape on the nose where the spoiler will mount and then I CA cemented the sheet styrene spoiler onto that. I also cemented the center brace, (still needs to be shaped in these two shots).

DSC04124_zps4232bf2e.jpg

DSC04125_zps7dafe490.jpg

I added the mounting flanges and drilled them for the hardware then removed the assembly.

DSC04126_zpsed0fbed7.jpg

Cleaned it up and painted it… Top:

DSC04128_zps7f7b6ec0.jpg

Bottom:

DSC04129_zps9e978349.jpg

I didn’t like the way the hood fit after I bolted the side panels on and fine-tuned the fit of the nose and cowl so I soldered a little more brass to the trailing edge.

DSC04136_zpse685bc10.jpg

DSC04137_zpsb037b3b1.jpg

DSC04138_zpsa0416c94.jpg

Primed and sanded it out. Now it fits much more uniformly. I also made the front hood latches from brass and styrene.

DSC04139_zps7a2268ec.jpg

DSC04140_zps1590b87c.jpg

DSC04141_zpseab35917.jpg

This will be the grille (brass). To speed up the chemical cutting process I milled a hole in the center of each hexagon. The black is the vinyl resist.

DSC04135_zps975f1156.jpg

It was close to being fully etched at this point and if I left in the acid too much longer it would burn more away in some areas than I wanted. So it decided to hand file finish it.

DSC04142_zpsf215b25f.jpg

Several hours later with a small square file

DSC04143_zps829ecdc1.jpg

Ready for primer, and more filing to fine tune

Thank you. That was my fifth try over the last six weeks, I had to fine tune the chemicals, and the overall process as well, to get a more delicate part than I previously had etched. I didn't keep track of the exact amount of time, but it took about two hours to prep each piece of brass before dunking it, and a few days to cut with the acid. I know there's over five hours hand filing on this one, so far. And my fingertips are still recovering from the filing...