Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark -

I have a dumb question - when the trunk is done and body work is in place are you going to be able to get the tire in through the trunk opening or are you going to build the tire in or does it just not matter.

I don't plan to "play" with it when it is done, but the spare can be put in and taken out through the opening now. Once the mounting/hold-down hardware and other items are added I think it will be a permanent installation.

Since I am working on the trunk and the spare, I made this scissor jack. Just a dry run test, I’ll make another one with more details. This one is all brass with a steel jackscrew. I just wanted to see if it would work.

DSC02195_zps6d1e8205.jpg

And yes, it does work.

DSC02194_zps30df464d.jpg

Since I am working on the trunk and the spare, I made this scissor jack. Just a dry run test, I’ll make another one with more details. This one is all brass with a steel jackscrew. I just wanted to see if it would work.

DSC02195_zps6d1e8205.jpg

And yes, it does work.

DSC02194_zps30df464d.jpg

Mark, I hate you! ;)

Thanks guys. The brass is .015 thick. The idea popped into my head while I was building the trunk liner. It took a few hours to design the art and about 16-18 hours to chemically cut. Maybe two hours or so to build. And 15 minutes of playing with it to strip the theads... I have another smaller one in progress.

I guess I already got tired of the wheel I made at the onset of this project. I also realized after working on the spare that I wanted more detail on the inside/backside of the rim. I made this wheel center to remedy both of those issues as well as making an overall thinner rim with the same bead dimensions. Still a little more clean-up required before a mold is made from it.

DSC02234_zpsfd5320ee.jpg

DSC02236_zps05d0b174.jpg

I also had to modify the rims I already cast to allow this larger diameter wheel center to fit, as well as to set it into the rim deeper for less overall width.

DSC02232_zps42378f9c.jpg

DSC02233_zps77eb07da.jpg

Thanks Bill!

The jack on the right is the one I will use on the model. As you can see it is significantly smaller than the test jack, (70% of the size) on the left. It also is made of brass, but with a few machined aluminum parts too. Furthermore it has a pattern cut into the top pad that the larger one does not have.

DSC02238_zps0b6225a3.jpg

It also works the same way as its big brother.

DSC02239_zps490b3744.jpg

DSC02240_zps2d5db836.jpg

There is a fork on the handle that fits into the receiver. You can see the knurling I put on the handles too.

DSC02242_zps81bb3667.jpg

I don't plan to "play" with it when it is done, but the spare can be put in and taken out through the opening now. Once the mounting/hold-down hardware and other items are added I think it will be a permanent installation.

Then what is the deal with the working jack!!!! Come on , now! :D