Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

"Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys.
I guess it is hard to see in the photos, but the spare is secured to the floor of the trunk. (I too learned that lesson in my Z/28) There is even a metal reinforcement plate on the outside of the bottom of the trunk floor for the threaded rod to anchor to."

Brilliant! I'm glad I asked, even more impressed now!

-Don.

Edited by DonW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once I had the wheels and body panels on, specifically the nose, I measured for the chin spoiler and started making it. I put a layer of tape on the nose where the spoiler will mount and then I CA cemented the sheet styrene spoiler onto that. I also cemented the center brace, (still needs to be shaped in these two shots).

DSC04124_zps4232bf2e.jpg

DSC04125_zps7dafe490.jpg

I added the mounting flanges and drilled them for the hardware then removed the assembly.

DSC04126_zpsed0fbed7.jpg

Cleaned it up and painted it… Top:

DSC04128_zps7f7b6ec0.jpg

Bottom:

DSC04129_zps9e978349.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t like the way the hood fit after I bolted the side panels on and fine-tuned the fit of the nose and cowl so I soldered a little more brass to the trailing edge.

DSC04136_zpse685bc10.jpg

DSC04137_zpsb037b3b1.jpg

DSC04138_zpsa0416c94.jpg

Primed and sanded it out. Now it fits much more uniformly. I also made the front hood latches from brass and styrene.

DSC04139_zps7a2268ec.jpg

DSC04140_zps1590b87c.jpg

DSC04141_zpseab35917.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will be the grille (brass). To speed up the chemical cutting process I milled a hole in the center of each hexagon. The black is the vinyl resist.

DSC04135_zps975f1156.jpg

It was close to being fully etched at this point and if I left in the acid too much longer it would burn more away in some areas than I wanted. So it decided to hand file finish it.

DSC04142_zpsf215b25f.jpg

Several hours later with a small square file

DSC04143_zps829ecdc1.jpg

Ready for primer, and more filing to fine tune

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you. That was my fifth try over the last six weeks, I had to fine tune the chemicals, and the overall process as well, to get a more delicate part than I previously had etched. I didn't keep track of the exact amount of time, but it took about two hours to prep each piece of brass before dunking it, and a few days to cut with the acid. I know there's over five hours hand filing on this one, so far. And my fingertips are still recovering from the filing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...