Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Mustang Sports Coupe Is Completed

mrmike

I happen to be sitting at the bench the other night and I started to think about a Mustang I saw at a cruise night many years ago and I looked over at the stash and decided I had to build my version of that 'Stang. It was made for handling and performance with 4-wheel disc brakes, a built-up 289, 4-speed trans, and rode on American Racing Torque Thrust wheels. The kit I am using is an AMT/ERTL '66 Mustang kit No. 31542. I bought this kit from KB Toy and Hobby before they went out of business several years ago.
66stang01.jpg
My paint is going to be Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue.
66stang02.jpg
66stang03.jpg
More to come...
Edited by mrmike

Great to see the coupes being built! I picked up the recent repop of this kit in the retro box and plan to build one of the Shelby Trans Am racers. Have you considered using the chassis from the 67 Mustang? I've been fiddling with it and it seems to work. The result is an accurate depiction from under the hood all the way to the back end.

Cheers Misha

My plan is to build this one basically OOB and add some detail to the engine and change the wheels and tires. This kit is from old tooling so the chassis is what it is...almost promo style with minimal detail. That doesn't bother me much as long as I can paint detail the chassis to my liking. I am not trying to build a contest model, just a representation of a car I once saw with a few changes to suit my soul. Sometimes I wonder if my builds bog down due to all the extra details I add which sometimes slows down the build. I just want to build a few kits now without too much fuss and bother. Just get it built and looking good! I'll save the extra detailing for other kits like my '59 Caddy.

I started on the engine this morning and I am using the dual carb manifold.
66stang04.jpg
I have ditched the front metal axle in favor of two small pins for the front wheels. This will allow me to fill in the sides of the oil pan with some scrap styrene.
66stang05.jpg
Bye-bye hole!
66stang06.jpg
I plan on wiring the engine.
More to come...

I can understand that Derick. I too, wished I had pictures of all my cars over the years, but many of them have disappeared somewhere along the way.

I detail painted the Torque Thrust wheels and picked out a set of tires from the kit. The tires are the Goodyear L60-15's.

66stang07.jpg
I painted the body, hood and valance panels with Tamiya TS-54 Light Metallic Blue. This is only 2 light coats of paint.
66stang08.jpg
I have also painted the chassis in red oxide primer and the interior pieces in Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black.
66stang09.jpg
More to come...

I have a soft spot for these cars. It was the first car I bought when I emigrated from England to Canada in 1966... brand new! 289 V8, auto, am radio, sautern gold (I think that's what ir was called) with a black vinyl interior. Loved it for 2 years until I traded it for a 1968 highland green fastback... just like the Bullet car. Wish I still had that one!

I'm looking forward to following this one Mike.

Tony

Thanks guys!

John, I have about 25 blue painted models in my collection of about 200 or so models.

Jamie, I did not prime the body. Just to move things along, I cleaned the body and painted it when it was dry.

I have completed the engine. I was going to use the dual carb intake until I lost one of the carbs, so I will use the single carb intake instead.
66stang10.jpg
The chassis is done. Since all the components are molded into the chassis, detail painted is all that's needed.
66stang11.jpg
The interior is done.
66stang12.jpg
More to come...

My plan is to build this one basically OOB and add some detail to the engine and change the wheels and tires. This kit is from old tooling so the chassis is what it is...almost promo style with minimal detail. That doesn't bother me much as long as I can paint detail the chassis to my liking. I am not trying to build a contest model, just a representation of a car I once saw with a few changes to suit my soul. Sometimes I wonder if my builds bog down due to all the extra details I add which sometimes slows down the build. I just want to build a few kits now without too much fuss and bother. Just get it built and looking good! I'll save the extra detailing for other kits like my '59 Caddy.

Amen to that- I concur in spades and fully agree. Your Mustang looks good so far.

Dang, that brings back memories!!!! My best friend in high school had a '66 Stang... I traded for a set of American Racing wheels for his, and gave 'em to him for his birthday.... his car has the 289 CJ engine, with the C4 auto... I talked him into a 4-speed swap....(LOTS more fun to drive)... He STILL has that car! We put the 4-speed out of my '67 Cougar in it, after the Cougar got bent around a telephone pole.....