Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 Ford Victoria Kustom

Kustoms Illustrated

OK, here we go!

It's been 10+ years since I've built. Just dug this one out that I had started probably 11 or 12 years ago. My goal is to finish it in time for the West Coast Kustoms Cruisin' Nationals model show in Santa Maria this May.

As you can see, the hood corners have been rounded, hood nosed, headlights canted and frenched, and front and rear openings molded on. I also removed the stock Fairlane trim and recut the trunk opening up higher. It was then primed and thrown in a box.

My intention is to now finish it off with a single strip of stainless on the side (like a '55 Ford Customline), paint it in some shade of blue pearl, aftermarket wheel covers and wide whites, and utilize the custom interior that came with the kit. Nothing fancy, just finished it off the best I can with mostly box stock parts. Hopefully this will kick-start me back into building again!

Time is limited, so this will be painstakingly slow. I'll try to keep everyone updated with pics and progress. Thanks for looking.

PS: Is anyone aware of an aftermarket "up-top" convertible for a '56 Ford passenger car? Maybe in resin? Just thinking ahead to the next project.

post-10807-0-77395700-1356845825_thumb.j

post-10807-0-42392700-1356845830_thumb.j

post-10807-0-83142000-1356845834_thumb.j

Slow progress...

Got the side trim on today using Evergreen half-round .060.

I wanted a simple Customline style stainless strip to give the car visual length, but also wanted it to look custom, so I abbreviated it just pass the doors, onto the front fenders. This is the first time I've ever done this, and overall I'm pretty happy with the results. There is a slight dip on the driver's side front fender, but it looks worse in pictures than it does in real-life.

Next step is to shoot the body in white primer... more sanding, and then a coat of Tamiya Light Blue Metallic paint.

It sure feels good working with plastic again! :)

post-10807-0-78966200-1357450242_thumb.j

post-10807-0-48643100-1357450265_thumb.j