Model Cars Magazine Forum

polar lights petty talledega

azers

It's not really a bad kit, but it requires quite a bit of work to get it right. There's several minor fitment problems, but the two main issues are the front fenders slope uphill and the 429 will not fit in the chassis without modification. Here are a couple of links that will help you get everything corrected....

http://public.fotki.com/lannyhaas/polar_lights_build_up/

http://www.mnacreations.com/Models/index.htm (Go to the "tips" section and you'll see info on building the Polar Lights Talladega)

Good luck, hope this helps!

I'm confirming what Tommy said at least as far as the originals are concerned. When me and a buddy of mine saw the re-release we were curious as to whether or not the problems were addressed and fixed. I'm guessing by reading this they were not?

It's a straight reissue, nothing has been changed at all except the box art.

Bill and I were told that the reason for the sloping fenders was being yanked from the molds improperly. Or some variation of that idea.

We were talking at MAMA to a guy who said they are much better and that the sloping issue was no longer one.

Engine fit problems aside.

Bob

Bill and I were told that the reason for the sloping fenders was being yanked from the molds improperly. Or some variation of that idea.

While that might be, I tend to doubt it, since every single one is the same exact way.

We were talking at MAMA to a guy who said they are much better and that the sloping issue was no longer one.

Sorry. I have the latest reissue, and the body is just as bad as ever.

IMG_2626-Copy.jpg

The good news is it's really not that hard to fix it.

Edited by roadhawg

Okey Dokey..... The guy may have been repeating what he had heard.

Even at Club MAMA prices it was still 24.00. I passed and bought a few other kits instead. Like I need em.

I was going to get this as my FIRST ever NASCAR build but I think I'll wait for the 1/16 Petty Charger instead.

Bob

Guest Johnny

It's not really a bad kit, but it requires quite a bit of work to get it right. There's several minor fitment problems, but the two main issues are the front fenders slope uphill and the 429 will not fit in the chassis without modification. Here are a couple of links that will help you get everything corrected....

http://public.fotki.com/lannyhaas/polar_lights_build_up/

http://www.mnacreations.com/Models/index.htm (Go to the "tips" section and you'll see info on building the Polar Lights Talladega)

Good luck, hope this helps!

Thanks for posting those links Tommy!!!

I have a couple of those cars coming in the mail and now will know what to do with them! B)

I just built that car- plan on building another to use the 429 engine and the different grille and decal markings, to be honest instruction sheet is confusing, i mean i instaled front axels wrong and had to redo because car looked like it was going to take off like general lee, the transmission mount does not work too well to keep the exhaust flush with the chassis, lack of places to glue down the engine , mine is glued in by aircleaner and exhaust. other than that the car turned out well

DSCF4116_zpsa55b3b0c.jpg

I built another version this weekend,

I used the optional grille and the 429 engine for this one , and changed the markings around so side by side the 2 torinos will look different

not happy with 429 engine - it does not fit in the engine bay very well, this kit is built best using the 427

didn't notice it until reading this thread , the front fenders do tend to climb instead of drop, thanks for pointing that out

Edited by shafer