Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Thunderbird

realgone58

Here's a '67 T-bird promo that I detailed last year. One thing I noticed upon checking my paint chips is that the car is actually molded in a '66 color called Honeydew Yellow. Perhaps AMT figured it would be a carryover color for '67? The closest '67 color would be Phoenician Yellow, and this car has too much green in it to be that. I popped it apart, polished it, sprayed the interior in satin black, detailed it appropriately, as for the body, I added chrome foil where needed, a little blackwash, and that's about it. Once I get the hang of Alclad, I think I'll freshen up the bumpers.

kits%252067%2520thunderbird%25203.JPG

kits%252067%2520thunderbird%25202.JPG

kits%252067%2520thunderbird%25201.JPG

Thanks guys! I'd love to get another one of these in promo or kit form and try a 4 door T-bird conversion. Those were odd cars.

That's on my to-build list, too. I was always going to do the conversion, but Modelhaus now has a 4 door T-bird from this era - I don't remember if it's a 67 or 68.

The AMT Allison in Thunderland kit has a nice stock 69 body in it, but it doesn't have the interior, chassis, emblem on the C pillar, or the red taillights (which are also available from the Modelhaus). That's what I was going to use for the conversion.

I've loved this style of T-bird since my dad bought a 69 new. It was fun to drive - lots of power, almost turbine-like. I've got a 1968 promo too, in a beige or pale yellow color, with the radio. You did a nice job on your model.