1956 Ford "up top" convertible top ?

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Does any one know if some one makes a convertible top in the "up" position for the AMT '56 Ford kits?

Thanks

Posted · Report post

you could try missing link, he makes a few for other bodies

Posted · Report post

sorry i dont....i make the 62 ford convertible top

Posted · Report post

Take a long good look at the Revell 55 Chevy Convertible uptop. I've seen it being used (slightly modified) on a 56 Sunliner conversion built by Robert Stoudt and it looked fantastic.

Posted · Report post

Thanks everyone!

Patrik, I'll look into the '55 Chevy. I bet that would be close. I was thinking the Lindberg '53 Ford, too, but that may be too tall of a profile for the '55/'56 Fords.

Posted · Report post

The Lindberg kit might be a good one, but I'd be worried more about the width of the top, more than the height. When I was building a '55 Fairlane years ago, I had used Lindberg's '53 Ford kit as a base for the roof. Much to my surprise, the roof was WAY TOO NARROW! :o

Of course a lot of work had to go into widening it to fit the '56 body, but I was surprised being that they are the same scale, the bodies could be so different width wise.

Posted · Report post

Strange, the 1:1 53 and 56 Fords are both facelifted 52's. The tops SHOULD work LOL!

Posted · Report post

Strange, the 1:1 53 and 56 Fords are both facelifted 52's. The tops SHOULD work LOL!

Exactly! Here's a pic showing how much of a difference there was in the width between the Lindberg '53 hardtop, and the AMT '56 lower body..........

P8210007-vi.jpg

Could be that the Lindberg '53 isn't exactly 1/25 or the AMT is a little large for its scale. I'd go with the former as the Lindberg always seemed a bit "small" to me IMO.