Model Cars Magazine Forum

newbie help in paint and misc

hi guys i'm new to the model world and was looking for tips on painting small parts. like hold then placement to dry Then taken said now painted part and glue and assemble parts with out messin up any paint and getting chrome to hold down. I am working on a amt freightliner white maybe a tip on join the 3 cab parts and make it look good or will i have to do a day cab lol(don't want to).i got this kit from a inlaw on christmas because could not think of anything and i've wated to do a build for a long time.. but my be over my head with this kit.i see some of your guys mods and kit builds that are just good art! any help would be great thanks much and happy building

I hold small parts for painting with alligator clips epoxied to a length of sprue with a hook at the end for hanging. Sometimes a round toothpick works in a hole and either stick in a piece of foam or hold with alligator clip.

Alot of times on very small pieces i use a straight pin, find a spot on the part (preferably the glue point) and push a pin in gently with tiny pliars, it doesn't have to go in very far, just enough to hold. You can hold the pin with your fingers or aligator clip. Then i paint, when i'm done, i have a piece of styrafoam close by with little holes pushed in with a pencil, i prop it in the hole till its dry..

Hope this helps..

I use several methods. If the part has an area that doesn't need painting or won't show, I hold it with an alligator clip pushed onto a wooden kabob skewer. I put the clip on the blunt end of the skewer and push the pointed end into a block of styrofoam for drying. If there's a hole, I'll use a toothpick and hold it with the clip/skewer.

I also use Donn Yost's method and stick parts to a length of masking tape.