Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1949 Mercury custom

Mike_G

Well, I only finished 2 cars this year and this was the first, a Revell 1/25 1949 Mercury custom that I built to compete in box-stock class. I painted it with an old bottle of "Pearl Coral" Pactra R/C car paint over white Plasticote primer, then clearcoated it with Duplicolor clear lacquer which was then wetsanded with 2,000 grit and rubbed out with Novus #2 plastic polish. I built it in about 2 weeks and finished it at 12:30AM the morning of a model contest over on the coast where it won Best Paint and Best Custom sittin' there reeking of my hours-old Testor's flat black underhood paint, LOL

Please forgive the low-res pics, my camera is an old 3.34Mp model

Here's the completed chassis and interior:

49MercChassis1.JPG

49MercChassis2.JPG

I kept the interior pretty simple since you can't really see it much with the chopped top- the white is just the primer, then I airbrushed flat copper acrylic panels. I painted the dash the body color, then masked off the radio and speaker grille and metalized them. The kit decals included 2-3 different gauge styles, which is a nice touch.

49MercInterior2.JPG

Finished!

49MercuryCustom1.JPG

49MercuryCustom2.JPG

49MercuryCustom3.JPG

49MercuryCustom4.JPG

The color is a little bit off in my pics- it actually shows a more "coppery" tinge in brighter light.

Thanks for looking! -Mike

2000 grit and Novus #2??!?!!? That's all it took to polish that out?!?!?!

Well, there was an old sock involved in the process :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments- I do try to keep my paint layers very thin as I'm not a fan of the "syrupy" look either. My motto is "put plenty of paint on, then sand most of it off" :D

I used worn-out 600 grit and Blue Coral polishing compound on my 1/12 LP500s back in '87- I learned some valuable lessons doing that one:

LP500S3.JPG

LP500Sabove_view.JPG

Couple more that were done with 2,000 grit and Novus #2 (and a sock, lol)

TS-13 clear over decals on this one:

46ChevySedanDelivery1A.JPG

Duplicolor clear:

47Aerosedan1.JPG

47Aerosedan3.JPG

The TS-13 is better IMO, but the Duplicolor stuff works pretty well and is cheaper and more available. -Mike

Edited by Mike_G

Well, there was an old sock involved in the process :lol:

Well, yeah, I figured you had to put it on with something! I have seen some Japanese modelers who polish out their finishes with compound and their bare fingers, something about the skin oil and heat from the friction that's supposed to make it magical... Those Japanese modelers can be some crazy cats...