Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush help

anybody have any tips for airbrushing, using propel cans? Can't afford compressor yet. They keep giving a blast of cold air when the airbrush sits for a moment.

i still use them once in a while..keep the can at room temp.and don't turn it up all the way ..start of at a low pressure...then increase it...that's the way i do it..

I would guess, that for what your paying for those propellant cans, you could afford a small compressor from Harbor fright, or some knockoff store in a relatively short time. I found a 2.5 gallon setup at a sears outlet store for under fifty. just look around maybe craigslist can help.

• 1 month later...

Donn, this might sound like a stupid question but I have ZERO maintenance knowledge ha ha. Is it a easy process to change the pressure regulator and install a moisture control trap on a air compressor ? I use a Craftsman Air Compressor and would like to put both of these items on new as the compressor is at least 15 years old with neither ever being replaced. Ive tried to research how to change these items online but cant seem to find a tutorial or step by step anywhere. If I cant find out how to do it myself within the next couple weeks I guess a trip to Compressed Air is in store ha ha.

Don't worry Donn if I can do it, you can do it. Its like plumbing, use plumbers tape around the threads and screw it together. Be sure its tight, but not overtightened. Turn it on and look for leaks. Use soapy water, it will bubble where the leaks are. Hope it helps. My moto is "how hard could it be ?????" "if I break it????? so be it"

It's not difficult , believe me ! Take the assembly off of your compressor and take it with you to the store .

Explain to the employee what you want to do and they'll help you out . You might have to buy a few black iron pipe nipples and fittings for the retrofit along with the new moisture trap , and as indicated , a roll of Teflon tape .

Two small pipe wrenches are the only tools that are required , or you can use 2 Channel Lock pliers in a pinch !

Edited by LoneWolf15