Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XJ-S (Finished)

340-6

Well, I finally finished this one.

It's an old Bandai kit in 1/16 scale.

It's not that bad kit, but there are some problems with it:

-Clear parts are just horrible. Especially the windshield was bad. It was too small and ill-fitting.

-I don't know where bandai got the clever idea of making most of the suspension parts from metal. They were all cracked, ill-fitting, and looked horrible.

-Doors don't fit very well.

-Door and hood hinges look terrible.

But with patience, it can be built to a nice Jag. The biggest problem with mine was the paint job. I must have repainted the body at least four times.

Anyway, here she is:

xjs006-vi.jpg

xjs007-vi.jpg

xjs012-vi.jpg

xjs013-vi.jpg

xjs021-vi.jpg

xjs025-vi.jpg

xjs028-vi.jpg

xjs031-vi.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with the result. Built Box-stock, I only added Finnish plates.

Comments and Criticism welcome!

• 2 years later...

Just a note for those who may be interested in this kit.  For reference, you'll want to rely on the 1976 US version of the car. This explains the LHD and lack of plexi headlight covers, in addition to not having minor details only seen on later models (such as chrome tops on front and rear bumpers).  In spite of accuracy, I got a set of aftermarket BBS RS wheels as seen on later models, just because I like them better. They're 1:18 15 inch wheels but look pretty close to OK, though I'd like to find a set that's a bit larger. 

Edited by sjordan2