Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Bondurant's 1959 Corvette racer

THarrison351

My first completion of 2013 (started a couple months ago) and first build posted on this magazine's forum. It's a 1960 AMT Corvette (MPC 1960 Corvette) and It was almost left in the box when I started final assembly. I like the simplicity of some of the old kits, but the sloppy fit drives me nuts. No wonder when I built these things back in the seventies, they were glue bombs. I was very happy with the paint (first time success with an airbrush), so I soldiered on. The decals are VRM and I can't say enough about the quality and fit of these decals.

The model is a representation of the real real racer and not an exact duplicate.

IMG_00061_zps35960ebf.jpg

IMG_00071_zpsed67e8c9.jpg

IMG_00101_zps354c55f7.jpg

IMG_00091_zps3659c863.jpg

IMG_00081-1_zps04e38411.jpg

IMG_00111_zpsb84ed4ed.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

Very nice Vette. Engine ?

Nothing to see here. I didn't have a fuelie intake and the hood barely opens due to the design of the hinges. It has the dual fours, but the motor is a poor representation of a small block Chevy. All of my cars end up in a large stack of plastic dispay cases and I'm pretty much the only one that ever looks at them. Here's a glimpse of the cars in their cases. I need to make another purchase from Pioneer plastics because I have about 24 diecasts and models collecting dust.

IMG_00011-1_zpsff36ceb1.jpg

A mix of models, diecasts and diecasts I repainted.

IMG_00021-1_zpsf400d71c.jpg

A mix of Bill Elliott models, diecasts and diecasts I repainted.

Finally, many thanks for the great comments. Almost everyone seems to appreciate the efforts and needs on this magazine's forum.

Very nice job on a good looking racecar which I believe is owned and raced by Steve Earle who started the Monterey Historics and currently operates the vintage races at Sonoma. This year being the 60th anniversary of the Corvette, both events are featuring Corvettes so I am sure this car will appear at least at Sonoma.

What paint did you use? Looks like the color is right on. Agree about the quality of the VRM decals. They are fantastic.

What paint did you use? Looks like the color is right on. Agree about the quality of the VRM decals. They are fantastic.

I used a Model Master spray paint I had left over, and decanted it for my airbrush. Used it right out of the can. I don't remember the color, because it was empty after I filled the bottle and threw it away.