Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions and stuff........Re: 1963 Z06............pics

Pat,

You really stumped me on these questions :D The 119 xp was driven by Doug Hooper. That picture is from the Riverside race in Oct 13 1962. That was the debut of the car and Doug won the race. The car was owned by Mickey Thompson. That was also the race where the Shelby Cobra debuted. Three other Corvettes were in that race, but the 119 is the only one I don't know the color :(

I'll dig in my references.

Thanks,

Ismael, ya beat me to it. It took me a while to find the info, but I came up with the same answer you did. The LA Times Invitational was the name of the race. The article I found:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/Z06History.shtml

said that they had silver, white and blue cars and mentions a 4th Z06 with no indication of color. The blue one had number 47, so that wasn't it.

I'd guess that it would have been red or black, given the shading of the monochrome image and by process of elimination...although I suppose it could have been a second blue one.

Pat, I think you've got a good prototype to model. I look forward to seeing it.

Pat,

I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but 119 xp was driven by Doug Hooper and I understand that after that race the cars were re-classified as A production instead of xp class. Thompson did not finished that particular race.

Would it be possible that Thompson raced that car later?

Thanks,

I assume Fred made the decal for the most common car, which would be Thompson. Just going by what Dan said. I don't have the decal sheet in front of me [Cady #021]

The Hooper 'xp' car was a one off run for the L.A. 3 hour, IIRC. I'll create my own 119 XP for this build.

FOUND IT!!!!

This is getting interesting :(

I found this in the book "Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car"

"Hooper's sinister-looking black coupe made a 20.5 second pit stop for thirty-one gallons of gas and a quart of oil, then held off a late race challenge by Jay Hill's Porsche RSK to take the victory for Chevrolet"

I found the following in the Leffingwell book: "Bob Bondurant, Dave McDonald and Jerry Grant drove the three cars, a silver , a white and a bluew coupe, out from the St. Louis factory to break them in while another car was trucked out earlier"...

.."the fourth Corvette, entered by Mickey Thompson and driven by Doug Hooper won the race"

From this, we can conclude that Dick Thompson did not raced in that event, and probably it refers to Thompson (Mickey) the owner....

The car was black. End of the mistery, my job here is done, I'm outta here :D

Thanks,