Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 - A triumphant return for me

gtx6970

I was another one of those that built off and on for most of my life. Up until my daughters came into the picture ( 2 girls now 15 and 12) . I've always been a gear head / car buff and have always built more along the line of old drag cars than anything else. Primarily Old Superstocks and Funnycars. Ranging from approx 1961 up thru approx 1974 give or take a year or 2 each way depending on the subject.

I would still buy kits from time to time when something caught my fancy but rarely did I sit down at the work bench for anything to be considered building something. That said sometime last year I started messing with kits again on a part time basis . As time went by, I got more and more interested in working on building again. So I dug out some long before started projects and decided to get something out of the box and onto the shelf.

So here goes.

My 1st kit to be finished in almost 15 years

Wild Willie Borsch Altered

This one was painted within weeks of when this kit was first re-issued in the early-mid 90's but wasn't finally completed till this spring.

Borsch-Altered.JPG

Next one done was the Dick Landy Hemi Dart project.

This is another one that sat nearly finished on my shelf for nearly 10 years. Not anymore.

It was built based on the Mr Norms 1968 Dart kit with parts box pieces and an aftemkt resin hood .(long before the current Hemi Dart release)

DLI-DART2.JPG

Next one was my 1st full start to finish model kit this year decade, actually in the last 10-12 years.

A 1964 Dodge Superstocker using the Lindberg kit and Decals by Lucas decals to do the Dick Oldfield early 70s era Superstocker.

IronButterfly2.JPG

Next one up was a project I blame on another member( caine440)

I saw his version of this car and it started in motion a project I just had to do. I never even knew this car existed till I saw his build of it. This one started off as an early 80's era johan re-issue promo. So its a curbside with just a lindberg dodge chassis under it to get the stance I was after.

DSC02030.JPG

Lastly is a more of a resurection than a full build.

An original issue MPC 1971 annual Duster 340 I bought with an already painted body and decided to just leave it as it was and detail it best I could . I've owned this kit for nearly 20 years. While searching for something else I stumbled onto it . So I and dug it out this past fall , re-did the interior in white and engine is from the current AMT Duster kit with a MAD prewired dist added,, otherwise it's pretty much box stock .

mpc71DusterB.JPG

I've painted maybe another half dozen bodies along the way and did some long overdue repairs to other builds that the cat knocked off the shelf, but these are the only ones to go from box to shelf this year/decade for me.

Hopefully 2013 will be more in the same .

Many thanks for looking

Edited by gtx6970

i got a feeling you've got some mad skills up your sleeve.

Thanks all ,,, you've made my day ,,, Although it's probably more in the camera angles.

and as far as whats next,,, will probably be a round of fords from my work bench .

Edited by gtx6970

Beautiful builds Bill. I especially like the 61 Dodge Dart Phoenix as I did a conversion on one of those Johan promos several years ago myself. I will post some photos of it soon. I actually cut the hood open, used a 68 Roadrunner chassis, interior & engine. Very nice Duster too!! Hope you continue building into 2013.

Great looking cars, and welcome back to building. I love the Dart Phoenix. I want to build a 1960, because my dad had a beautiful red/white one when new. The roofline is spectacular for looking at the sky or cooking in the sun if you're in the back seat.

Edited by THarrison351