Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally got some pictures loaded.

Here's the larger of the two yolks with the .013 piano wire and insulation in place.

Crosspiece4-vi.jpg

Here's the crosspiece after getting it put together.

Crosspiece3-vi.jpg

And the final two u-joints for the front axles.

UjointsInHand-vi.jpg

Only four more to go. Thankfully, they're not as small as these two.

Thanks for comments and following along.

Edited by gasser59

Brad.... I have been wondering what you have been up and if you were working on anything and now I realize why I haven't seen much of you because I haven't checked in over in this section in a while. Man this build is looking great and glad to see you having some fun. I look forward to more updates on this.

I am very impressed with this and your skills. You do awesome work buddy!!

Edited by Mooneyzs

Very nice work so far. The detailing is incredible, I bet this will be cool to follow. Lifted Pickups, Jeeps and other OffRoaders are cool to watch come together, hopefully I'll be building one some day too. ('66 Ford Bronco kit, anyone??? :lol: )

Thanks for checking in Chris and Niko. Been working on making the shocks and have two done. I've taken apart a Bic lighter for the springs and the rest is built from aluminum tubing with the ends flattened, drilled and shaped. I'm also using .030 piano wire for the strut. The spring has tighter and narrower coils on the ends so I get two shocks out of each spring. These will be mounted with Scale Hardware nuts and bolts.

Here's a scan of the parts along with a completed one.

JeepShocks-vi.jpg

Stay tuned....

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the kind words Danno and Randy. All four shocks are on the corners and now I need to concentrate on the engine and the rest of the driveline.

Here's a pic of one of the shocks. I made the axle mounts earlier before painting the chassis.

RearShock-vi.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Thanks buddy. Loving the weather right now too.

Got the alternator mounted up and spliced the belt to the proper length. The alternator fins are PE from a Model Car Garage set as well as the aluminum pulleys.

AlternatorBracket1-vi.jpg

Thanks for your interest and comments welcomed.

Edited by gasser59

Had about an hour last night and realized I had to move the front frame crosspiece forward. Just wasn't room for the SBC without hitting either the firewall or the frame. Plenty of room now. I just need to decide whether to put in an electric fan on the radiator or a fan on the front of the engine.

Here's a pic.

Alternator5_zpse31a37dd.jpg

Hopefully more time in tonight.

Thanks Glu.

Starting work on the front steering but first need to finish up the turning yolks and trim the brass 00-90 hex head screws so they don't interfere with the u-joints in the axle. The inner yolk has been tapped for the 00-90 screws and the outer yolk turns freely. I'll need to wait on making the steering arm until my rims and hubs come from Jim at MicroNitro so I know I'll have room to fit it in.

Here's a pic of the passenger side.

PassSideSteer_zps8b5b8ce4.jpg

I intend to have the u-joints turn freely while the steering works. Stay tuned.

Chris – thanks for the compliments and I'm also anxious to see what Jim comes up with for rims. I can't really continue with the chassis until they get here.

Mike – Thanks for tagging along on this build. I've wanted to do this steering for some time and felt there was no time like the present.

OK, fella, since the chassis is kind of on hold, I've been working on the engine and finished up the fuel lines to the double pumpers. This was quite a challenge because I had to enlarge some RB Motion hex heads to fit the fuel lines feeding the carbs as well as make the fuel distribution blocks. All of this took a good portion of today not counting a trip to the hobby store across town for some Alclad II to airbrush the headers on my Willys pickup. I digress.

Here's a few progress pix.

Carbs1_zps467812a8.jpg

Carbs2_zps6d3a1636.jpg

It sure looks like the carbs are a bit too big but its mostly the close photography that kind of "fisheyes" the items that are close to the lens making them loo distorted.

Thanks for checking in and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59