Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1931 Alfa Romeo 2300 Monza

Harry P.

Harry, did you do any special "fitting" of the hood to the cowl and radiator shroud? Both of my models are a bit weird in that the radii of the hoods at each end do not match up perfectly with the adjacent panels. I suspect this is par for the Pocher course.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry,

Great job on the Pocher Alfa Romeo and Bugatti. Your work on the Pocher really came out "museum-quality."

Your Pocher brought back fond memories. Back in 1971, my late dad and I built-up this same Pocher Alfa Romeo 8c 2300 Mona with the wire wheels. It was a early kit. The parts came in clear plastic box containers. My last year in high school, I had a job at K-Mart in 1975 and to my amazement, the Pocher kits were selling in the store. The manager knew I was a model builder, and asked how I thought the kits would sell. One customer actually went store-to-store with a trailer, buying them up!

Much continued success with your large-scale models.

Best,

Ron

Harry, did you do any special "fitting" of the hood to the cowl and radiator shroud? Both of my models are a bit weird in that the radii of the hoods at each end do not match up perfectly with the adjacent panels. I suspect this is par for the Pocher course.

Yes, the hood contours don't exactly match up to the radiator shell. That's just another "Pocherism." I just lived with it. It wasn't too bad,

So, what are you building now?

At the moment, a 1/16 scale 1937 RR Phantom III that I will be converting to a woody. My original plan was to use the Pocher "Star of India" kit for this, but I decided to "practice" by building a smaller-scale version first and working out the construction details... then maybe I'll do the 1/8 scale version.

As an experienced wooden ship modeler, you should have zero problems.

It's not the woodworking that might be the problem, but the actual details of construction, like do I build the doors first and then fit the body to them, or do I build the body first and fit the doors to the opening? Should I attach the doors to the hinge post and then mount the whole thing as one assembly, or should I install the hinge posts first and then add the doors to the otherwise finished body? That sort of stuff. I've been going over a building sequence in my head, but I keep changing my mental to-do list! :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello , all!

I am as much of a newbie as you can be. I am a retired architect and Southern California and would normally be either restoring a motorcycle or modifying one. I have many interests, but didn’t plan this virus thing very well or I would not have been caught between motorcycle projects!

So, this seemed like a great time to purchase a Pocher Alfa Monza kit on eBay and tackle that. I plan to build a car like the car that Nuvolari drove at Monte Carlo in 1933.

Harry, I was very inspired by your beautiful work! I love the fact that you weren’t trying to make it a highly polished show car. That is my intention as well. I have a small lathe mill in my shop and some machine skills. But, I also have some CAD skills from my architectural background.

When I realized after making my first aluminum prototype vent, that I would almost have to paint the cap to have it match the surrounding finish on the cam cover, I decided to look into 3D printing the part.

I’ve attached a screenshot of a quick design I put together. It is not yet proportionally correct. But, one way or another, by the time I print it, it will be very accurate. I have been trying to find some good side shots of the vent, but they are hard to find. 

I plan to make as many different parts as possible through this method.

Once the work is been done and I have a company to produce them, I will make more.

I do not know what the final cost will be, but I do know that it will be much less than Model Motrocar’s charges. Yikes!

These are the parts that I plan to make so far:

·      Cam cover vent caps

·      Sparkplugs

·      Brake drums (with correct fins)

·      Knock off hubs

·      Foot pedals

·      Shift gate

·      Distributor linkage

·      Coffee can coil

·      Gas cap

·      Racing windscreen

·      Pie plate tachometer

·      Rear view mirror

Please keep in mind that these parts will all need paint or the chrome foil. Most will just be paint.

Are there any others I should consider? I am staying away from plated parts with a couple of exceptions. 

So, my question to you as a group is what technical information can you provide to me, either straight on photographs or even better, technical drawings, so that I can make these parts as accurate as possible?

I think this can be a fun project for us all and obviously anyone participating will get the super friendly price on the first runs. I am very excited about this and would hope that some of you would find this interesting. I am not trying to start a new business, merely to be able to contribute to a community that is new to me.

It’s always fun to come into a new hobby, which it is actually, for me,  a long slumbering one.

Thanks very much for hearing me out and I’ll hope to look forward to your comments on this path.

All the best,

David

duczupa@gmail.com

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 12.52.56 PM.png

Edited by apexdc
typo

Looks like you took on a very interesting project David.

Unfortunately Harry has past on, but his legacy lives on. We all miss Harry very much. He was the reason I joined this forum years ago.

Still, there are plenty of capable modelers here you can bounce ideas of off.

Edited by peteski

Hi Peter, 

I am terribly sorry to hear about Harry. Although I obviously didn't know him, I could sense a great personality though his words and obvious skills. 

I just settled on this path a few days ago, so am starting to work piece by piece on the list above. Through various contacts, including the Petersen in LA, I can almost certainly get access to a real 8C Monza to take measurements and photos, if need be. Unfortunately, I was at the Alfa museum in Milano last fall, but didn't know I was going to be on this path, so a great photo and info opportunity was missed. I know the person who runs the Ducati museum in Bologna, so I might be able to get a contact at Alfa from him. 

But, I will take it a step at a time and keep posting parts as the files are complete. This sort of fabrication is new to me, but I just had some CNC work done on a different project. That helped my computer skills a bit and I have a highly skilled friend who can advise on the exact materials and processes.  

Thanks for your support, 

?