Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scania and Hot Shot Car Hauler (Just needs a load, now!)

032_zps18c9569d.jpg018a_zps93d43d80.jpg Got another race rig for you...I plan on making the Scania look more like an American race hauler...I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want, but I'll be winging it as usual, so We'll see...I started this at the top of December, but I had to start using Photobucket; because this thing wouldn't let me load pics like I used to...I guess I'll just have to get used to it...But, anyway, this is what I have, so far...

Edited by kilrathy10

JT, I have built a few of this Scania in the past. It is a very nice kit, builds up easyly but there is one big problem if you gonna built it out of the box as a 4x2.

Italeri used the same frame as the 143 cabover, which has plenty off room back of the cab, but this frame is too short for the conventional 143. A good way to correct it is by streching the frame about 30mm. By adding 30mm to the frame leght, then you gonna have inough space to hook your trailer.

Kostas.

JT, I have built a few of this Scania in the past. It is a very nice kit, builds up easyly but there is one big problem if you gonna built it out of the box as a 4x2.

Italeri used the same frame as the 143 cabover, which has plenty off room back of the cab, but this frame is too short for the conventional 143. A good way to correct it is by streching the frame about 30mm. By adding 30mm to the frame leght, then you gonna have inough space to hook your trailer.

Kostas.

You know what, Man....I just discovered that as I was test fitting the cab over the frame...It was not looking quite right, and you just clued me in as to what was wrong...I may have to take your advice and stretch it a bit, but I'm not really looking forward to it...Hopefully I can figure some other way around it...

Guys, on the European 4x2 trucks, the 5th wheel is positioned forward than the drive axle and not above it. Thats because of rules about weight and also about keeping the loaded truck easy to be driven.

So its not only mater where is the kingpin of the trailer.

As I said before, by adding 30mm to the frame you can have a correct 4x2 Scania conventional frame, talking about this specific kit of Scania.

JT, if you don't like the 4x2 look, you can always convert is to 6x4 or 6x2. You have great scruchbuild skills so go for it.

Kostas.

Guys, on the European 4x2 trucks, the 5th wheel is positioned forward than the drive axle and not above it. Thats because of rules about weight and also about keeping the loaded truck easy to be driven.

So its not only mater where is the kingpin of the trailer.

As I said before, by adding 30mm to the frame you can have a correct 4x2 Scania conventional frame, talking about this specific kit of Scania.

JT, if you don't like the 4x2 look, you can always convert is to 6x4 or 6x2. You have great scruchbuild skills so go for it.

Kostas.

But he is converting it to a US truck, so the fifth wheel can move back over the rear axle , giving him enough room and not having to extend the chassis any, also, you have to remember that if leaving the fifth wheel were it for EU rules, there would not be any room for the truck and trailer to turn with the trailer hitting the end of the frame

Thanks, Boys for the excellent advice...As I further examined the truck and trailer, it does seem that I'll be able to get away with mounting the fifth wheel further back towards the end of the frame....And, I'm gonna build more of a custom 5th wheel mount as seen on the Testors Ford F-650 Die Cast model....I've been toying around with quite a few ideas and I will put them to the test, tomorrow, I hope...Looking for some serious rain storms, so I don't know if out grid will hold up....As long as I have power, I'll be fine.... :) Thanks, Guys...

030a_zps2467e0fa.jpg031a_zps491265a9.jpgWhen I finally got the cab and all together, it was definitely a funny looking thing....But once I added the bed to it, it made a lot more sense...At that point, I was kinda on a roll....I added a modest headache rack and painted it...Gonna add diamond plate to the bed floor and rear step, and it'll be pretty much ready to get a shine and a Galaxie trailer...

Edited by kilrathy10

You nailed it!!!!! Now it is perfect!!! That sort wheelbase is what exactly was needed to do the job for this build.

It is great, nice & clean built, although it looks still a little bit strange in my eyes, with the fifth wheen instaled so far back.

Looking forward to see it done with the trailer.

Kostas.

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated, earlier, I wasn't satisfied with the Galaxie Trailer, so I've shifted gears and gone for a hot shot car hauler....I think this is going to be more to my liking...I plan to place a few sports cars, of which I've yet to determine, but I'm definitely going to build some.....This is definitely not a replica of any particular trailer, but I did take some photos of one for reference...Even though I'm building this, mostly, from memory...It should be convincing, enough, though...012a_zpsec220781.jpg001a_zpsea52c14c.jpg019a_zps2d3b8477.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

039a_zps556a5a06.jpg051a_zpsec03c246.jpg052a_zps66f163bc.jpgI was surprised at how I was able to put this together as quickly as I did...I thought this one was going to take a lot longer than it did...It didn't get too tricky until I tackled the ramp rack at the rear of the trailer...Otherwise, it's been a pretty smooth operation...