Model Cars Magazine Forum

Split Personality GTO - update 2/1

Jantrix

I'm doing this for the Nightmare kit CBP, but this is new territory for me so I thought it deserved its own thread. Ira and John T. has really been an influence and I want to try some serious body work.

This is the design. "Split Personality" by Mr. Gary Campesi who has given me permission to post his art and his blessing on my work. To see more of Gary's work please check out his website. There are some very build-able designs there folks, so if you are searching for inspiration, this is the place. http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/GaryC/vehicles

gto-split-personality_zps51ff344f.jpg

And this is the kit. I sure don't feel bad about hacking it up.

2012-12-24130621.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

He's where I am so far.

Side view, before I narrowed the body.

2013-01-06145706.jpg

Post narrowing.

2013-01-06170336.jpg

2013-01-06170324.jpg

2013-01-06170305.jpg

I have changed out the wheels/tires to something a little smaller in the front. I'm going with a quick change on coil springs in the rear and IFS in the front. I have started work on the chassis which is from the Revell '53 flip-nose p/u. I'm still trying to figure out what to make the aero-humps (or whatever they are called) from, so ideas are welcomed. More soon.

it's interesting to see someone else start on a concept/design that is also in a folder I keep on my computer desktop to stash build ideas, this will be fun for me to watch being executed. Gary's speedster concept art looks like some fun builds.<br /><br />I had planned for a build of this but I would have started with a '66 GTO/lemans instead of a '67 GTO, the '66 LeMans taillights seem to be unique to that year pontiac, I've never seen them on any other GM vehicle.<br /><br />I would think the windscreens will be more of a problem than the "roadster humps".

I would have started with a '66 GTO/lemans instead of a '67 GTO, the '66 LeMans taillights seem to be unique to that year pontiac, I've never seen them on any other GM vehicle. I would think the windscreens will be more of a problem than the "roadster humps".

I just decided to make use of a lousy kit. And you are quite right about the windshield, I'm still kicking that around.

I was just looking at a Lotus Indy turbine car model I got just because it has the wheel horse tractor in it, The windscreen looks quite similar to the drawing but theres only 1 per kit, just another idea. Neat project you started!

Randy

I was just looking at a Lotus Indy turbine car model I got just because it has the wheel horse tractor in it, The windscreen looks quite similar to the drawing but theres only 1 per kit, just another idea. Neat project you started!

Randy

You can use the windscreen's from the barris Fireball 500.

Thanks very much for all the comments guys, I'm having a good time with this.

By the way, I intend to build a hot rod based off Garys art, not a replica. I do not intend to do the dual cowls. I'm going to do one. The car is far to narrow to have any hope of finding two windscreens that will fit. My cab is 35mm at the a-pillars and tapers to 39mm. If you guys have anything that might work, I'd be happy to have a look.

Edited by Jantrix

Rob, your fairings look very close to the bucket seat backs from AMT'S 71 Plymouth Duster. Maybe you could use them?

I seat back. Hmm. <_< You might be onto something there.

Are you going to taper the front half, Rob?

No Jim. I'm done with major body mods. If I have ANY chance of making the front end appear like a '67 GTO, I can't go too narrow. The body is narrowed enough to allow the front wheels to turn and thats as far as I'm going with it. It's very hard to take drawing like that, make it work in scale and have it appear that it is all mechanically possible. Paint will be Testors One Coat DeJaBlue

May I make a suggestion? Look at it from a different perspective. You're trying to make the GTO look like a roadster. Make a roadster look like a GTO instead.

I'm building a GTO into a roadster without losing the idea that it's a GTO.

From the Lotus Indy turbine, its about 14mm wide, 7mm at tallest point, 50mm long, I only have one though here's a pic

Thanks Randy, I'll keep looking.

This project is waiting for the flu I'm currently fighting to subside. More soon. I hope.

Edited by Jantrix