Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Bel Air Review Needed

On 10/19/2017 at 4:34 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

I have one of the chopped glass units from an old kit; has anyone ever been able to use it and make it look good?

Great idea at a quick, first glance, and even with the understanding that it was an "advanced" technique, exactly how did the designers and engineers at think think would be successfully executed? Lots of near-perfect masking would be required, and that's after you cut the top apart perfectly to match the clear piece's sections. :unsure:

AMT57CBEH9.jpg

Edited by Casey

The chopping job above is something I would not like to tackle. I can't imagine too many kids in the 60's had the skills to build a decent looking model using the technique shown above. AMT's '53 Studebaker had a much better and easier way of achieving the same thing. After seeing the above instructions, I can see why AMT did not offer the option in later releases.

... I can't imagine too many kids in the 60's had the skills to build a decent looking model using the technique shown above...

While that's undeniably true, and in spite of the endless harping on the opinion that these models were primarily intended for children, the truth is (and it's apparent to anyone who was around back then and read the model mags AND the big-car mags) that a LARGE part of the intended market was teens and young adults who had fully-developed eye-hand coordination and some manual skills.

The show-winners and feature cars in the model mags were invariably built by teens and adults. The real-car mags heavily promoted the hobby, and in case nobody here remembers, the introduction of Revell's 1/32 scale Ford pickup, '55 Buick, Ford convert, Chrysler and Caddy, was accompanied by a FEATURE article in Hot Rod explaining how these new models could stand in as a creative substitute for the building of full-scale cars (for those on budgets or without the space), and how they could be helpful for developing the skills that could eventually translate to their full-scale cousins. The instructions back in those days also called out the correct names of many parts (a largely forgotten practice today), and frankly, I learned a huge amount about real cars from building models.

Model cars were treated as a viable field of interest in real-car magazines like Car Craft, Rod & Custom, the afore-mentioned Hot Rod, and many others...and the accompanying advertising reflects that. "Kids", the pre-teen only-capable-of-making-gluebomb-messes crowd, were hardly the audience these things were intended for initially...but the marketing mavens who probably saw the potential for "toys" marketed to serious 1:1 car enthusiasts also probably determined there was still a larger potential market if models were also promoted as "toys".

Kits like Revells notoriously "fiddly" offerings (like the Challenger One, Ivo's Showboat, the Anglias and Ford A-models, and exquisite engine and chassis parts-packs among others...all of which I dearly love) were never intended for sticky-fingered "kids", nor were the kits with "advanced" customizing features like the multi-section roof chop shown here. But as the reality of the market played out, and as the toy end of the spectrum most likely produced far more income than the serious hobbyist end did, the inevitable dumbing-down of the product soon followed.

An interesting side note is that this didn't happen the same way in the model railroad world. The "toy train" folks went in a different direction than the "model train" guys, and though there was some slight overlap, the "model" train segment of the hobby was and still is the province of mostly adults (adults who tend to care about scale-fidelity, prototype practice and function, and overall quality of workmanship, both in the models they BUY and the models they BUILD). Model Railroader magazine is still being published, with content obviously aimed at people possessing skilled hands and minds, and has been published continuously since 1934.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

I just hope Round2 has invested in some tool repair, along with restoring some parts. I like the sound of Two Chrome trees, and I hope it will have more than 6 tires. Notice that the flyer does not mention any added old parts, so the plastic may wind up being 90% of the last Boyd version. Time will tell.

But New Tires, New decals, and fresh white plastic will sell a great number of theses kits. I know I'll be in for a couple.

While that's undeniably true, and in spite of the endless harping on the opinion that these models were primarily intended for children, the truth is (and it's apparent to anyone who was around back then and read the model mags AND the big-car mags) that a LARGE part of the intended market was teens and young adults who had fully-developed eye-hand coordination and some manual skills.

The show-winners and feature cars in the model mags were invariably built by teens and adults. The real-car mags heavily promoted the hobby, and in case nobody here remembers, the introduction of Revell's 1/32 scale Ford pickup, '55 Buick, Ford convert, Chrysler and Caddy, was accompanied by a FEATURE article in Hot Rod explaining how these new models could stand in as a creative substitute for the building of full-scale cars (for those on budgets or without the space), and how they could be helpful for developing the skills that could eventually translate to their full-scale cousins. The instructions back in those days also called out the correct names of many parts (a largely forgotten practice today), and frankly, I learned a huge amount about real cars from building models.

Model cars were treated as a viable field of interest in real-car magazines like Car Craft, Rod & Custom, the afore-mentioned Hot Rod, and many others...and the accompanying advertising reflects that. "Kids", the pre-teen only-capable-of-making-gluebomb-messes crowd, were hardly the audience these things were intended for initially...but the marketing mavens who probably saw the potential for "toys" marketed to serious 1:1 car enthusiasts also probably determined there was still a larger potential market if models were also promoted as "toys".

Kits like Revells notoriously "fiddly" offerings (like the Challenger One, Ivo's Showboat, the Anglias and Ford A-models, and exquisite engine and chassis parts-packs among others...all of which I dearly love) were never intended for sticky-fingered "kids", nor were the kits with "advanced" customizing features like the multi-section roof chop shown here. But as the reality of the market played out, and as the toy end of the spectrum most likely produced far more income than the serious hobbyist end did, the inevitable dumbing-down of the product soon followed.

An interesting side note is that this didn't happen the same way in the model railroad world. The "toy train" folks went in a different direction than the "model train" guys, and though there was some slight overlap, the "model" train segment of the hobby was and still is the province of mostly adults (adults who tend to care about scale-fidelity, prototype practice and function, and overall quality of workmanship, both in the models they BUY and the models they BUILD). Model Railroader magazine is still being published, with content obviously aimed at people possessing skilled hands and minds, and has been published continuously since 1934.

Bill, if I were close , I'd buy ya a lunch ! This is truly one of the most intelligent , well thought out and well presented posts here in I know this year !!!!!Thank you .

I just hope Round2 has invested in some tool repair, along with restoring some parts. I like the sound of Two Chrome trees, and I hope it will have more than 6 tires. Notice that the flyer does not mention any added old parts, so the plastic may wind up being 90% of the last Boyd version. Time will tell.

But New Tires, New decals, and fresh white plastic will sell a great number of theses kits. I know I'll be in for a couple.

If their excellent work on the '53 Ford pick-up is any gauge, I think we'll be happy.

IIRC I have an original Pepper Shaker in my stash....

Still covered with cellophane....

When the new one is released, maybe it's time to crack it open and do a comparison....

Pics to follow....

......Funny you mention your sealed original....many times I've been so tempted to grab a mint one on Ebay when they show, but for some strange but good reason I always passed,,,,and now with this reissue coming I'm glad I did, because I'll bet if you crack the cello on yours and do that comparison you speak of that the new kit will outweigh the oldie in many aspects,,,tires, decals, perfect chrome, and the tinted glass just to mention some factors.....regardless, it will be interesting to compare them both for certain.......the Ace..;)

My prediction is it will be released with the same parts it had pre Boyd, with pad printed tires, extra set of the same glass tinted green and an expanded decal sheet. BTW, somewhere along the line the original clear tool was lost. Compare an old original to a newer Ertl kit and you can see the newer custom grill is not as thick and the head lights have no engraving. 

• 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, ranma said:

That really don't detail much about what parts were not included. As I wanted to know if they ever reissued the choptop glass in later kit's. Also there is a different hood, and no keystone mags in this issue

16 minutes ago, Casey said:
27 minutes ago, ranma said:

That really don't detail much about what parts were not included. As I wanted to know if they ever reissued the choptop glass in later kit's. Also there is a different hood, and no keystone mags in this issue

The kits which contain all of the radical custom Styline parts also included the 'chopped' top clear 'glass', too, AFAIK. Note that some (the full nose and tail caps) of the Styline parts were eliminated, while some remained in later issues. I refer to them as early/radical, and later/modest custom parts to differentiate  between them.

As shown in the instruction from the T-157 release from 196, two hoods are included-- a stock and a 'pancaked' hood:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/121/amt-757-1957-chevy-hardtop

One way to find out exactly what was included with each issue is to look on eBay and look at current and completed listings, and compare the contents. The AMT/Etrl #6563 issue contains only the modest custom parts, so you can use that as the most recent end, and backtrack from there based on release dates, which are listed on the boxes, instruction sheets, decals sheets, etc. You can also compare instruction sheets hosted at multiple sites, which allows you to see exactly which parts are included for the most part. Sometimes parts are included, but not shown on the instruction sheet, so some cross-referencing is required.

The below three kits contain the modest custom parts only:

4e48683f-0f00-4475-a527-50b86aa6093c.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Casey said:

The kits which contain all of the radical custom Styline parts also included the 'chopped' top clear 'glass', too, AFAIK. Note that some (the full nose and tail caps) of the Styline parts were eliminated, while some remained in later issues. I refer to them as early/radical, and later/modest custom parts to differentiate  between them.

As shown in the instruction from the T-157 release from 196, two hoods are included-- a stock and a 'pancaked' hood:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/121/amt-757-1957-chevy-hardtop

One way to find out exactly what was included with each issue is to look on eBay and look at current and completed listings, and compare the contents. The AMT/Etrl #6563 issue contains only the modest custom parts, so you can use that as the most recent end, and backtrack from there based on release dates, which are listed on the boxes, instruction sheets, decals sheets, etc. You can also compare instruction sheets hosted at multiple sites, which allows you to see exactly which parts are included for the most part. Sometimes parts are included, but not shown on the instruction sheet, so some cross-referencing is required.

The below three kits contain the modest custom parts only:

4e48683f-0f00-4475-a527-50b86aa6093c.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

And those are the same parts that are in the current Pepper Shaker issue, plus extra green tinted glass and pad printed tires. It's a shame they didn't open the gates, as most of the old Styline parts are still in the tool.

The issues up to and including the 1st Pepper Shaker (green & black roof car without bumper on box art) included the clear chop top glass ect. 

After the 2nd Pepper Shaker (same as re-issued box art) the chop top glass had gone but the smoothed out front & rear bumpers and Buick grill ect are still there.

The blue car on box that was issued a few years back only includes stock parts, not any custom stuff. Avoid it as other issues are readily available.

amt-1957-chevy-bel-air.jpg.ec8f0a354b81acedb087727832557642.jpg

Hope this helps.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:36 AM, Casey said:

Here's what I would trust as the definitive answer regarding which issues contain the radical custom Styline parts:

That's correct. And as I said earlier, shy of the Halibrand wheels and custom wheel covers, all of the old custom parts should still be in the tool, only needing the gates re opened. An insider I spoke with about 5 years ago told me he had located the original glass tool for it during a full inventory.  The one in the more recent issues is a retool.

Edited by Dave Darby

49 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

An insider I spoke with about 5 years ago told me he had located the original glass tool for it during a full inventory.  The one in the more recent issues is a retool.

Did that original glass insert(?) which was found include both the stock and 'chopped' top glass?

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Did that original glass insert(?) which was found include both the stock and 'chopped' top glass?

I would assume so. But the feed to the chopped top glass is probably welded off. I don't have the new Pepper Shaker reissue to see which glass it has, but if it has engraving on the headlights it's probably the original.  Likely as not though it has the same setup the Ertl reissues have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, 57peppershaker said:

The issues up to and including the 1st Pepper Shaker (green & black roof car without bumper on box art) included the clear chop top glass ect. 

After the 2nd Pepper Shaker (same as re-issued box art) the chop top glass had gone but the smoothed out front & rear bumpers and Buick grill ect are still there.

The blue car on box that was issued a few years back only includes stock parts, not any custom stuff. Avoid it as other issues are readily available.

amt-1957-chevy-bel-air.jpg.ec8f0a354b81acedb087727832557642.jpg

Hope this helps.

I saw this version at Hobby Lobby this morning and noticed it was priced at only $19.99 (vs their usual price of $29.00). The pic on the box top looked liked the "old" body with the kinked side trim, but one of the pics on the side looked like it might have been the newer, better one. So what's in the box, the old kit with only stock parts? 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, it returns again.

I expect it will be a straight re-issue of the most recent "Pepper Shaker" kit?

It would be nice if the could open up a few more welds on the chrome trees. There is quite a bit of open space on the sprues, for an ex-Trophy Series kit. Be nice to see some long lost parts return.

Either way, though, this kit is popular and always sells very well. Be nice to have it back at Hobby Lobby.

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, it returns again.

I expect it will be a straight re-issue of the most recent "Pepper Shaker" kit?

It would be nice if the could open up a few more welds on the chrome trees. There is quite a bit of open space on the sprues, for an ex-Trophy Series kit. Be nice to see some long lost parts return.

Either way, though, this kit is popular and always sells very well. Be nice to have it back at Hobby Lobby.

Conversations with Round2 management indicate it will be a straight re-issue of the previous Pepper Shaker, with the box art of the Gen 1 Pepper Shaker. The box side will  be updated to to reflect the available parts. Everything except for the custom wheel covers still exists in the tool (and I let them know that), so let's hope that the next reissue contains those parts. You can see a short shot of the rear Styline extension on the upper left of the photo. This is from a 1990's AMT/Ertl issue.

IMG_9202.jpg

Styline 01.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

20220410_210532.jpg

• Like 1