Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Bel Air Review Needed

I recently ordered this kit and was wondering if anyone has experience building it.

Any relevant information is welcome. I see it's a 3 in 1 kit. Would anyone happen to have pictures of these built with different options. What custom options does it come with?

Thanks.

1957_Chevy_Bel_Air_Sport_Coupe_AMT_ERTL_

(picture is not mine)

That's the 'classic' AMT kit from 1962 or therabouts, not the newer version that came out in the '90's and got reissued in the tin box last year. I'll see if I can come up with some pics, but I know it comes with an optional SCoT-blown W-motor and a '57 Buick grille.

Well I was looking for that kit but I can't find it.

I think that one still has most of the original options but I'm not sure.

It should have custom front and rear bumpers, 57 Buick grille, chrome reverse wheels, slicks, 409 and 283 engines, blower with two side draft carbs, custom bucket seats,and roll bar.

I'll look some more, If I find it I'll post some pics.

Nicks right, the latest blue car is stock only.

Still a good kit tho, with a lot of options. Great for building a 210 version. Also comes with Cragar wheels.

Here's a couple of built pics. Stocker is mine, Pepper Shaker was found on net. Sadly my original Pepper Shaker was smashed in a house move years ago, although Im planning a new version.

post-6734-0-28289900-1357550638_thumb.jp

post-6734-0-68415500-1357550657_thumb.jp

Nicks right, the latest blue car is stock only.

Still a good kit tho, with a lot of options. Great for building a 210 version. Also comes with Cragar wheels.

Here's a couple of built pics. Stocker is mine, Pepper Shaker was found on net. Sadly my original Pepper Shaker was smashed in a house move years ago, although Im planning a new version.

looks like some nice work there on that stocker there Steve..

I had one of the original kits from 62? And they had a lot more goodies back then. There was a clear window unit (front,back,side windows),and with this you could chop the top. There were styline pieces and some ugly ( I thought) 4 hole wheels. And don't forget the peel and stick inserts for the seats. Great kit,but it's long gone.

That one's not bad,I have one in my stash.

Here's some pics from the orignal instructions.

CCI10012009_00006-vi.jpg

CCI10012009_00013-vi.jpg

CCI10012009_00014-vi.jpg

The AMT "old mould" '57 is a classic kit that everyone should build at least once (even if it's just to see how good we have it now).

Just be prepared for exhausts moulded into the chassis, low suspension detail and an axle through the engine.

It's almost worth the price of admission just for the S.C.o.T. blower parts, kustom grille and sixties bucket seats.

I built this kit twice. One was a '60s edition, and had all the styline parts, plus the chop top glass. All suspension parts were chrome plated. After that, I built a early 90s edition, and the styline parts had vanished. The chrome suspension was still there though.

I like this kit a lot, and it goes togheter very well. both times I built a factory stock Bel Air. A thing I like about the kit, and many people dislike are the decals for the side trim. Even being an old tooling, and maybe BECAUSE it's an old tooling, I love this kit!!

I could live with the chassis being low in detail.

Does this kit come with the same custom parts as well?

$(KGrHqEOKpgE3uW+oQ7dBOIOker+Bg~~_12.JPG

Yup, same kit with all same parts as the yellow car edition. Cant remember if you get Pepper Shaker :) decals in yellow one, but there is a slightly different sheet in the brown one.

Edited by 57peppershaker

57peppershaker, I have 2 from the 57 Chevy. and yes I know they are showing their age.

I had to fill a deep sink in the trunk of the one in my Ertl/Matchbox issue. (Molded Tan)

I also have the 3 car Chevy kit.

I am looking for the 57 Ford Trophy top though

Thanks for the offer.

Wonder how long before Round2 restores the old lost parts in this kit??

• 4 weeks later...