Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping "Satin" chrome

I recently got a Revell Steve Kinser sprint car kit and it has some kind of aluminum looking plating that looks like chrome with flat clear on it. Does anyone know how to strip it? I've tried bleach since it works on regular chrome and it doesn't work at all on this stuff.

I've had that problem with regular chrome too. I mix some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with the bleach, about 1 part alcohol to 4 parts bleach. The alcohol dissolves the coating, then the bleach can react with the aluminium. It should strip the chrome in a minute or so.

Point taken, some things will react violently and/or produce toxic products when mixed with bleach, so yeah, best to avoid mixing it. I wouldn't suggest experimenting with anything else.

The OP could always do it in stages: soak in IPA or similar to remove the clear coat, rinse thoroughly, then use the bleach.

Guest G Holding

I've always heard that you Never mix ANYTHING with bleach, as it could create chlorine gas!! What I would do is try sanding off the clear coat, then soak in something a little less dangerous.......

That's acid and chlorine (bleach is 5%)......NASTY MESS. Easy off oven cleaner in a baggie...outdoors and with gloves and eye protection ... when clean rinse in running water.

Edited by G Holding

If this is an older kit with the 1980's Monogram dull chrome, a dip in brake fluid for 5 minutes will remove the dull and leave the bright chrome underneath. Overnight will remove all of the chrome. Experiment on a a couple of pieces of sprue.

gloves to protect your hands and good safety precautions with this stuff

Edited by Muncie

One thing I have found using bleach to strip chrome is that it needs to be fresh. I have a jar on my work bench and fresh bleach will start knocking off the chrome within the first 5 - 10 minutes. I know it is going bad when I drop parts in and come back the next day and there is still chrome.