Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC Nascar Petty Charger; a kit change just announced


'70 Grande
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did Petty run the later body (with those quarter window openings) with the Hemi?  I was under the impression that he was transitioning away from the Hemi as early as the latter part of the '71 season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The full contents of the 2020 reissue can be viewed here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1584/16-mpc-petty-1973-charger?page=1&scrollTo=1652

Did the previous 2013 reissue, kit #767, included pre-printed RWL tires like the 2020 issue does? Other than some slight printing differences on the instruction sheet and box, both issues appear to be near identical.

2v2Hze4L8x6bzhT.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be neat if someone offered a correct/alternate body and coordinating parts, but after 40+ years, I don't see that happening, though RMR seems to be creating at least one all-new 1/16 items, so maybe?

Edited by Casey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

The full contents of the 2020 reissue can be viewed here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1584/16-mpc-petty-1973-charger?page=1&scrollTo=1652

Did the previous 2013 reissue, kit #767, included pre-printed RWL tires like the 2020 issue does? Other than some slight printing differences on the instruction sheet and box, both issues appear to be near identical.

2v2Hze4L8x6bzhT.jpg

 

 

My previous issue kit does not have printed tires.  The tire lettering is raised enough so as to make painting them pretty easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mark said:

My previous issue kit does not have printed tires.  The tire lettering is raised enough so as to make painting them pretty easy.

Agreed. The tampo printing needs to be perfectly aligned/registered for them to pass the eye test, which was not quite the case with those in my kit. 😑

Edited by Casey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Did Petty run the later body (with those quarter window openings) with the Hemi?  I was under the impression that he was transitioning away from the Hemi as early as the latter part of the '71 season.

NASCAR started to phase in the 358 cui maximum rule in 1971 but the transition wasn't complete until 1974 and the larger displacement engines used before the completion were handicapped with a restrictor plate under the carburetor, so the Hemi could by the rules be used up to 1974 but not after.
I have seen pictures of Petty's 1973 and 1974 cars with Hemi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ss2000 said:

Why does the dash look like a piece of plywood? Photo from Casey’s review.

C48786CA-6066-42E4-8C5E-8ED708016BD4.jpeg

I think some of the 1:1 dashes were fabricated panels with woodgrain decal (much like the vinyl on the sides of a Country Squire wagon) on them...

These kits, including the Dukes Chargers, all had this woodgrain pattern on the dash.

I don't think they were ever made of real wood. I think in this era, they used a stock upper dash pad and maybe the frame, and added a sheet metal panel to the front.

If it were me, I would sand that down when building. The references I have show most of these dashes were finished more plainly.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, espo said:

I have the Buddy Baker '73 Charger kit, still sealed. I wonder if anyone would know if this would be the same kit with different decals ? 

Yes, pretty much. The Petty version includes a separate headrest made of the letters "RLP", so presumably that would not be used on the Buddy Baker car.

MPC116BBCharger2.jpg.cf8da478e080619e8525c9170e7276ec.jpg

MPC116BBCharger.jpg.36687a23a010a47899332231f79c307e.jpg

Edited by Casey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Diiging up an old thread. I have the original clear body issue. Of course Mom had to dust, and she knocked more than dust off of it. Busted the roof when it hit the floor. I rebuilt it and only the passenger side is clear now. I'll have to try and dig it out of my display case if anyone is interested in seeing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, espo said:

I have the Buddy Baker '73 Charger kit, still sealed. I wonder if anyone would know if this would be the same kit with different decals ? 

You wouldn't be interested in trading the Buddy Baker decal set for the Richard Petty ones would you? I have the last issue of the Petty Charger and haven't even opened the box yet and haven't been able to find a #71car or decal set reasonable yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, horsepower said:

You wouldn't be interested in trading the Buddy Baker decal set for the Richard Petty ones would you? I have the last issue of the Petty Charger and haven't even opened the box yet and haven't been able to find a #71car or decal set reasonable yet.

I'm not so interested in a decal swap as maybe trading this kit for something I would be more interested in building someday.  What I'm thinking of doing is try and sell this at the local swap meet and show in June '22. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 7:16 AM, espo said:

I'm not so interested in a decal swap as maybe trading this kit for something I would be more interested in building someday.  What I'm thinking of doing is try and sell this at the local swap meet and show in June '22. 

I understand that well, hopefully they have the NNL West in February next year. It and about everything else was on hold this year and last year too. Between that and a few needed surgeries have kept me away for the past ten years so I'm really anxious to go again. We usually take a big load down to sell and my wife says we bring as much or more back home, so she doesn't see it getting any smaller.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly I do appreciate it. Del

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...