Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you Clear coat --after or before-- DECALS?

I would do both. decals work better on a gloss surface and clear on top after the decal seals it in

As do I. The clear coat before gives you the ability to polish to a smooth surface to avoid silvering. The clear coat after protects the decals. I have decals degrade on older models where I didn't clear over, in particular, white colors yellowing. I would clear coat even contigency stickers as it would not be that noticeable if you apply a thin layer. And many modern race cars have wraps.

I usually don't clear at all. For most of my building I usually have weathered surfaces or at least used vehicles where clear coat would be an unrealistic shine.

One thought on clear coats, regarding both decals and Bare Metal Foil, is that the clear coat gives everything the same tone. In real life, the paint, the chrome (even the difference between chrome and aluminum / pot metal trim) are different. Many decals on cars actually are stickers that sit on top of the paint and have more of a matte finish on them. I remember one time seeing a Nascar car that had everything buried under mile deep clear that looked totally unrealistic. So I would be doing my decals and BMF after my clear coat.

I remember one time seeing a Nascar car that had everything buried under mile deep clear that looked totally unrealistic.

That could depend on what era and whose car is being replicate, and what specific race it was intended to run at. Before the wraps became popular, it was not uncommon for teams to clearcoat over the sponsor and contingancy decals at the superspeedays (mainly Daytona and Talledega). This was to seal down the edges of the decals to allow for smoother airflow, and to prevent them from getting pulled up during the race. One team I know did this was RCR. I will agree, though, that a mile deep clearcoat would definitly be unrealistic on a racecar.

On another note, if you're building any of the recent Round 2 releases, the decals have a flat finish, so if you want shiny, you just about have to clear over them.